Trade Deadline Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

6242514C4D230 wrote: Huntington has added every year at the deadline.

This is completely made up information.

2011 - Lee, Ludwick

2012 - Snider, Sanchez, Quails

2013 - Buck, Byrd, Morneau

2014 - Frieri, Axford, Nix

2015 - Happ, Morse, Soria

2016 - Rivero, Bastardo, Nova
Ecbucs

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by Ecbucs »

5E555D5154554E0B0D7A435B5255551459553A0 wrote: Why do people want Ian Kinsler over David Freese?  Isn't the idea to upgrade?

Kinsler (35 years old) 320 AB, 79 H, 9 HR, .247 Ave, .331 OBP, .400 Slg, .731 OPS.

Freese (34) 239 AB, 60 H, 7 HR, .251 Ave, .365 OBP, .372 Slg, .758 OPS.

If the Pirates don't go after Kinsler, they will be considered cheap even though he is the older, higher paid, and less of a player than the man they want to replace?  I rarely agree with Jack Z.  This is another example why.

you would add Kinsler if you think he can perform close to what he did in 2015 and 2016. If you don't think he can do that you wouldn't go after him.
MaineBucs

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by MaineBucs »

In looking at MLB Trade Rumors I see where the Brewers and Tigers are considering a swap in which the Brewers acquire both Justin Wilson and Ian Kinsler. Perhaps this is a deal the Pirates should explore.

Wilson is pitching well and would give the Pirates a good bridge to Rivero. Further, he is earning only 2.7 mil this year and still have 1 more year of team control. In short, he is performing better than Watson, has a lower salary and likely could be more than a 1 year rental.

While I am not that enamored with Kinsler, he could be an asset for the Pirates. Why ----

- Freese has publicly stated that he is wearing down from playing every day.

- If Kinsler can play second 4 days or so a week, J-Hay can sub for Freese at third and hopefully help to keep him fresh.

- Moroff had a few nice at-bats, but he is still hitting .125 or so and does seems more comfortable at 2nd & SS than third; quite a few shaky throws from 3rd.

- With Polanco hurt again the Bucs will need to use Frazier more in the OF than at 2nd.

So --- add Kinsler & Wilson and take on the salary. Moroff to the minors and LeBlanc is released or traded.

Getting Wilson will require the Pirates to trade some talent. Some initial thoughts on my part:

Steve Brault

Edgar Santana

Will Craig or KeBryan Hayes

and the Bucs assuming all salary obligations on Kinsler.

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Trade Deadline Thread

Wilson would be a nice addition.  I can see the Pirates getting a 2B, but I would hope someone better than Kinsler.  He is having his worst season in a long time (maybe worse ever).  The Tigers might need to include Kinsler in a trade to get that salary relief.  Would the Tigers trade Castellanos?  If so, I wouldn't mind trading Hayes or Craig for that return.

I hope the Pirates are in on the Jay Bruce sweepstakes.  I see an outfielder being added, but not sure how good of one since they would be back ups.
Bobster21

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by Bobster21 »

I'm not a fan of trading for Kinsler. He's a year older than Freese and his performance has fallen off this year. He's actually performed slightly worse than Freese. At age 35 his decline is more likely to be age-related than an aberration. I don't really see any reason to expect more from Kinsler than they will get from a tired Freese.
SammyKhalifa

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Kershaw out 4-6 weeks. I'd consider the SP market to be much tougher than we thought just 24 hrs ago.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Trade Deadline Thread

55676B6B7F4D6E676A6F6067060 wrote: Kershaw out 4-6 weeks.  I'd consider the SP market to be much tougher than we thought just 24 hrs ago. 

I wonder if they are just saying that since they have a big lead. He can rest for a few weeks and still not hurt the team.

If they get worried, they could steal a starter from the Cubs, who are still in some SP rumors.
rucker59@gmail.com

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

634F47404B6C5B4D5D2E0 wrote: In looking at MLB Trade Rumors I see where the Brewers and Tigers are considering a swap in which the Brewers acquire both Justin Wilson and Ian Kinsler.   Perhaps this is a deal the Pirates should explore. 

Wilson is pitching well and would give the Pirates a good bridge to Rivero.  Further, he is earning only 2.7 mil this year and still have 1 more year of team control.  In short, he is performing better than Watson, has a lower salary and likely could be more than a 1 year rental. 

While I am not that enamored with Kinsler, he could be an asset for the Pirates.  Why ----

-  Freese has publicly stated that he is wearing down from playing every day.

- If Kinsler can play second 4 days or so a week, J-Hay can sub for Freese at third and hopefully help to keep him fresh.

-  Moroff had a few nice at-bats, but he is still hitting .125 or so and does seems more comfortable at 2nd & SS than third; quite a few shaky throws from 3rd.

-  With Polanco hurt again the Bucs will need to use  Frazier more in the OF than at 2nd.   

So --- add Kinsler & Wilson and take on the salary.   Moroff to the minors and LeBlanc is released or traded.    

Getting Wilson will require the Pirates to trade some talent.  Some initial thoughts on my part:

Steve Brault

Edgar Santana

Will Craig or KeBryan Hayes   

and the Bucs assuming all salary obligations on Kinsler.

I agree on Wilson and I like Kinsler better than most. At worse, he is the identical twin of Freese with the bat this year. but I think both Freese and Kinsler have some upside that the Pirates could use. Plus, we need a new 3rd base and I don't think Manny M is in the Pirates wheelhouse. Harrison slots there perfectly.
dave3BA

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by dave3BA »

5F545C5055544F0A0C7B425A5354541558543B0 wrote: Huntington has added every year at the deadline.

This is completely made up information.

2011 - Lee, Ludwick

2012 - Snider, Sanchez, Quails

2013 - Buck, Byrd, Morneau

2014 - Frieri, Axford, Nix

2015 - Happ, Morse, Soria

2016 - Rivero, Bastardo, Nova

2 problems:

1. Huntington has been the GM since the 2008 trade deadline.

2. Some of those weren't deadline deals. Frieri, for example, was acquired at the end of June (for Grilli, so that probably shed salary if anything) and DFA'd shortly after the deadline.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Trade Deadline Thread

I love the nit-picking on my posts. Of course the new GM was going to rebuild in 2008-2010. So, you still think Huntington hasn't added at the deadline? I named 17 players in six years. What was I thinking???