Cole dealt to Astros

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Cole dealt to Astros

Post by Ecbucs »

466B66777061763635040 wrote: Here's an article on Moran from Baseball America.

Thanks for posting.  Gotta hope that this works for Moran.  If he can hit over 20 homers and still have a decent average he will be a good player to have.

Previously I had wondered if last year's homers were from playing in Pacific Coast League (the Fresno team hit 200 homers) but the extra flyballs is a good stat.
SammyKhalifa

Cole dealt to Astros

Post by SammyKhalifa »

he helps the team for next year. he was a guy that i was hoping would be in a cole>>astros deal. i just thought there would be one more exciting piece.
Wrathchild

Cole dealt to Astros

Post by Wrathchild »

6D646C7D73090 wrote: I think Musgrove is the centerpiece and I don’t see how can be viewed as a pitch to contact scrub. He had an 8.1 K/9 last year and a 3.5 K/BB ratio.  His FIP and peripherals indicate he has a chance to be really good.

5.37 ERA 7.6 K/9 136 innings as a starter.   As a starter, he's a control guy that won't K many, not as pronounced as Nova (who is?) but right there with Trevor Williams.

The pen work he's done, which has been very strong, is buoying his overall numbers due to the small sample size. 

I'd just like to see better objectivity, though. Musgrove's stuff doesn't dramatically change due to his particular role at any given moment. I think probably everyone's strikeout rate goes down the third time through the lineup on average. The guy is 6'5" 265 with an average fastball velocity of 93.6. He's not some soft tossing finesse guy you're making him out to be. His fastball did not rate as an above average pitch last year, but his slider and cutter did rate above average. He struck out 8.1 per nine innings and produced an 11.6% swing and miss rate. He has very good control for a guy who misses a pretty good number of bats. He did this as a 24-year-old in the AL. Steamer projects his 2018 at 3.95 ERA and 2.7 WAR. Huntington isn't clairvoyant but getting Musgrove with Moran and a reliever with an incredible K rate last year for two years of Cole seems like a probable win in surplus value even if Cole is the best player involved in the trade.
dmetz

Cole dealt to Astros

Post by dmetz »

76534055494249484D45210 wrote: I think Musgrove is the centerpiece and I don’t see how can be viewed as a pitch to contact scrub. He had an 8.1 K/9 last year and a 3.5 K/BB ratio.  His FIP and peripherals indicate he has a chance to be really good.

5.37 ERA 7.6 K/9 136 innings as a starter.   As a starter, he's a control guy that won't K many, not as pronounced as Nova (who is?) but right there with Trevor Williams.

The pen work he's done, which has been very strong, is buoying his overall numbers due to the small sample size. 

I'd just like to see better objectivity, though.  Musgrove's stuff doesn't dramatically change due to his particular role at any given moment.  I think probably everyone's strikeout rate goes down the third time through the lineup on average.  The guy is 6'5" 265 with an average fastball velocity of 93.6.  He's not some soft tossing finesse guy you're making him out to be.  His fastball did not rate as an above average pitch last year, but his slider and cutter did rate above average.  He struck out 8.1 per nine innings and produced an 11.6% swing and miss rate.  He has very good control for a guy who misses a pretty good number of bats.  He did this as a 24-year-old in the AL.  Steamer projects his 2018 at 3.95 ERA and 2.7 WAR.  Huntington isn't clairvoyant but getting Musgrove with Moran and a reliever with an incredible K rate last year for two years of Cole seems like a probable win in surplus value even if Cole is the best player involved in the trade.

Well, I'm not sure what you're arguing.  I never called him a soft-tosser I said he's a pitch to contact pitcher.   

It's normal for a pitcher to have a better k rate and higher velocities throwing in the bullpen.  They hold nothing back and generally aren't trying to induce contact with the objective that they can keep their pitch count down.

They also usually change the pitch varieties they use.   Lean on their best pitches and throw less of their less effective offerings.

Musgrove is a pitch to contact control guy and you're going to be reading all about how Searage magic is happening through increasing his sinker usage and GB rate. Blah blah blah. He's not going to miss bats as a starter. 

Are the steamer projections as a starter or a reliever?

I think he's a decent addition, certainly not a big ceiling.   Pre-2016 he was a nice prospect with a #3 type future. 

Of course, pre-2016 Cole was a bad #1. So if we're going by that...