Stephenson Traded To Rays

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

I thought for sure that this deal would open a 40-man spot for Henry Davis to take a short trip to the Burgh.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

7D5C547D565E390 wrote: I thought for sure that this deal would open a 40-man spot for Henry Davis to take a short trip to the Burgh.
The roster is now at 37 players so they could be clearing spots for a future Davis addition as well as possibly some additional player acquisitions. I don’t see them keeping both Mathias and Owings on the Major League roster very long. I am surprised they didn’t replace Stephenson with another pitcher for the bullpen.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

Pirates managed to navigate a 12 man pitching staff earlier this season. I'm not so sure they will be so fortunate this time.

The starters are not turning in 6+ innings pet start as regularly. Bolton was hammered the other day and the Z guy has been rather mediocre. I am not adverse to moving Stephenson, but they are going to need at least 1 more pitcher really soon.

Bummed that Mathias is the call-up, particularly if Shelton (and BC) decide to give him some starts.

I
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

0A262E292205322434470 wrote: Pirates managed to navigate a 12 man pitching staff earlier this season.  I'm not so sure they will be so fortunate this time.

The starters are not turning in 6+ innings pet start as regularly.  Bolton was hammered the other day and the Z guy has been rather mediocre.  I am not adverse to moving Stephenson, but they are going to need at least 1 more pitcher really soon. 

Bummed that Mathias is the call-up, particularly if Shelton (and BC) decide to give him some starts.

I

The only reason to start Mathias and/or Owings in games is to hope they play well so they can be traded.  But the playing time taken from Marcano, Bae, and/or Castro wouldn’t be worth whoever comes back in return.  In other words, there’s no good reason to have either guy here.  This is the VanMeter situation all over again and we saw how that worked out. 

The only guys who should see the field now are the guys who have a chance to be here for the next few years.
ChillinStation

Post by ChillinStation »

I think Cherrington is hoping someone takes charge with SS position, then they ease Cruz back in at 1st/3rd /OF /DH . Maybe then they can move him off position permanently without the fuss. :D
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

The roster management is atrocious.

No way do you have Owings and Mathias on this team at the same time. Actually they shouldn’t be on the team at all
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

664B46575041561615240 wrote: I'm super excited about Mathias rejoining the team. Now there's another guy for the infield merry-go-round.
Owings= Van Meter

Mathias = Van Meter
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

1F21242C3F27272C0C293E2D7A480 wrote: I'm super excited about Mathias rejoining the team. Now there's another guy for the infield merry-go-round.
Owings= Van Meter

Mathias = Van Meter
One of Cherington's greatest strengths is his ability to find VanMeters.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

597479686F7E69292A1B0 wrote: My first thought was how good Tampa is at identifying amateur talent and then developing those players when in their system.  To give up a high draft choice who was just picked a few years ago would indicate that he's not what they thought they were getting and/or he's not developing as he should.  I hope I'm wrong.
That's probably a fair assessment. If Tampa had high hopes for Williams they would not have traded him for Stephenson. Stephenson is a 30 year old journeyman who has spent his career alternating between MLB and the minors. This is a minor trade in which neither team is getting much.

Tampa's past and present GMs- as Pirates fans the world over should know by now- have been absolute cold-blooded thieves.

Mark my words- this first round draft pick bust that used to be theirs is a Trojan Horse. That said, we weren't getting anything for Stephenson, anyway.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

655047474C7547474C4B47220 wrote: My first thought was how good Tampa is at identifying amateur talent and then developing those players when in their system.  To give up a high draft choice who was just picked a few years ago would indicate that he's not what they thought they were getting and/or he's not developing as he should.  I hope I'm wrong.
That's probably a fair assessment. If Tampa had high hopes for Williams they would not have traded him for Stephenson. Stephenson is a 30 year old journeyman who has spent his career alternating between MLB and the minors. This is a minor trade in which neither team is getting much.

Tampa's past and present GMs- as Pirates fans the world over should know by now- have been absolute cold-blooded thieves.

Mark my words- this first round draft pick bust that used to be theirs is a Trojan Horse.  That said, we weren't getting anything for Stephenson, anyway.

Alika Williams is simply a 1st round bust. A failed prospect TB is giving away for a marginal MLB reliever because they'd pretty much take anything for him. But Cherington sees another potential VanMeter! :D