2017 Outlook

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SammyKhalifa

2017 Outlook

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I agree with that. It's the typical fan mentality that when a team wins, it's all the players and when a team loses, it's the "idiot" managers and office guys.
Aaron

2017 Outlook

Post by Aaron »

477579796D5F7C75787D7275140 wrote: I agree with that.  It's the typical fan mentality that when a team wins, it's all the players and when a team loses, it's the "idiot" managers and office guys. 
Interesting. I see the complete opposite. When the team wins....Huntington gets the credit. When they lose...it's because the players didn't perform.
SammyKhalifa

2017 Outlook

Post by SammyKhalifa »

4C6C7F62630D0 wrote: I agree with that.  It's the typical fan mentality that when a team wins, it's all the players and when a team loses, it's the "idiot" managers and office guys. 
Interesting.  I see the complete opposite.  When the team wins....Huntington gets the credit.  When they lose...it's because the players didn't perform.

I guess you scroll past all the "Clueless Hurdle" posts then
dogknot17@yahoo.co

2017 Outlook

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

7454475A5B350 wrote: I agree with that.  It's the typical fan mentality that when a team wins, it's all the players and when a team loses, it's the "idiot" managers and office guys. 
Interesting.  I see the complete opposite.  When the team wins....Huntington gets the credit.  When they lose...it's because the players didn't perform.

When it is players who performed in the past, it makes sense to blame them (McCutchen, Cole, Liriano, Cervelli). If it is new guys, blame Huntington (Jaso, Vogelsong, Nicasio, Niese). I also question Huntington on Harrison as a starter/contract too.
SCBucco

2017 Outlook

Post by SCBucco »

7D767E7277766D282E596078717676377A76190 wrote: I agree with that.  It's the typical fan mentality that when a team wins, it's all the players and when a team loses, it's the "idiot" managers and office guys. 

When it is players who performed in the past, it makes sense to blame them (McCutchen, Cole, Liriano, Cervelli).  If it is new guys, blame Huntington (Jaso, Vogelsong, Nicasio, Niese).  I also question Huntington on Harrison as a starter/contract too. 

Huntington deserves a lot of blame. How many of those four you mentioned did you think would be more than competent and solve problems in the lineup?
dogknot17@yahoo.co

2017 Outlook

Jaso, Niese and Vogelsong.

I thought Jaso would be better than Alvarez after his April.

I thought Niese would be the same pitcher he was with the Mets.

I thought Vogelsong could match what Morton did until Taillon was called up.

Jaso was not better. Niese was awful. Vogelsong didn't get a chance to start. Like I said, I do blame Huntington on those moves. But I don't blame him for entering the season with McCutchen, Marte, Cervelli, Cole and Liriano.
SammyKhalifa

2017 Outlook

Post by SammyKhalifa »

3F343C3035342F6A6C1B223A3334347538345B0 wrote: Jaso, Niese and Vogelsong.

Jaso was not better.  Niese was awful.  Vogelsong didn't get a chance to start. Like I said, I do blame Huntington on those moves.  But I don't blame him for entering the season with McCutchen, Marte, Cervelli, Cole and Liriano.

I'd say that Niese was the most reasonable of those to continue production. He had had a relatively long history of being not terrible. Jaso was an experiment but I was on board. Vogelsong? I wouldn't have minded a ST invite to see what he had left but not as option #1.
Aaron

2017 Outlook

Post by Aaron »

1D2F23233705262F2227282F4E0 wrote: I agree with that.  It's the typical fan mentality that when a team wins, it's all the players and when a team loses, it's the "idiot" managers and office guys. 

I guess you scroll past all the "Clueless Hurdle" posts then

Apparently. But I've read this thread.
PMike

2017 Outlook

Post by PMike »

0D3F33332715363F3237383F5E0 wrote: Jaso, Niese and Vogelsong.

Jaso was not better.  Niese was awful.  Vogelsong didn't get a chance to start. Like I said, I do blame Huntington on those moves.  But I don't blame him for entering the season with McCutchen, Marte, Cervelli, Cole and Liriano.

I'd say that Niese was the most reasonable of those to continue production.  He had had a relatively long history of being not terrible.  Jaso was an experiment but I was on board.  Vogelsong?  I wouldn't have minded a ST invite to see what he had left but not as option #1.

Ironically with Jaso, the experiment was with defense. He was supposed to be a strong OBP contributor based on his history. I thought he was pretty solid defensively but after the first couple months, disappeared offensively.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

2017 Outlook

I agree about Jaso. He had some mental errors, but no real issue handling grounders or throws. His power went away and he wasn't getting on base. Offense keeps players in the line up.