Winter Meetings

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Roberto218

Winter Meetings

Post by Roberto218 »

Talk about body language, after the Melancon trade, Clint Hurdle seemed to be visibly affected for more than a week.Despondent is the word. I supported that trade but Mark's trade hurt team morale badly.As I stated in a separate post, an extension offer to Cutch might soothe his feelings

and might be achievable. in any case, I want my players to be ticked off when they lose.
SCBucco

Winter Meetings

Post by SCBucco »

3338303C3938236660172E363F3838793438570 wrote: The "experts" on MLB and Twitter are blasting the Nationals for taking Eaton over McCutchen.

We don't know what happened, but I doubt many think Eaton is a better overall player than McCutchen.

It might be bad that McCutchen was dangled out there. It might also fire him up. He has a big pay day coming up and now he knows what some teams think of his play.

We should be glad that Huntington didn't just give him away too.

UMMM ... mlbtraderumors reporting we turned down Giolito, Dunning and a third prospect for Cutch.  He isn't worth Robles and Giolito.  Depending on the third prospect, I would have pulled the trigger.  This was on NH, not on Washington.  It offered the best pitching prospect out there.  That wouldn't have been giving him away.  Absolute joke if you think that.  We would have added a young, good, controllable pitcher that would have been in our rotation this year as well as two other pieces. We are going to add trash to the rotation. I can feel it.

Why are the experts bashing Washington when Pittsburgh turned down the deal? Washington valued Eaton and didn't want to pussy foot around with NH. Eaton is better defensively and has more speed for starters ... and is cheaper and has more years of control. Eaton has some advantages.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Winter Meetings

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Winning changes attitude too. A bunch of players struggled. I'm sure the players knew that too. Losing doesn't boost morale either. It was a downward spiral last year. It is time to forget about 2016. The core is still around.
SCBucco

Winter Meetings

Post by SCBucco »

2C272F2326273C797F083129202727662B27480 wrote: Winning changes attitude too. A bunch of players struggled. I'm sure the players knew that too. Losing doesn't boost morale either. It was a downward spiral last year. It is time to forget about 2016. The core is still around.

UMMM ... if you bring in garbage starters for the rotation, which I suspect, it won't matter if the core is back.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Winter Meetings

0A1A1B2C3A3A36590 wrote: The "experts" on MLB and Twitter are blasting the Nationals for taking Eaton over McCutchen.

We don't know what happened, but I doubt many think Eaton is a better overall player than McCutchen.

It might be bad that McCutchen was dangled out there. It might also fire him up. He has a big pay day coming up and now he knows what some teams think of his play.

We should be glad that Huntington didn't just give him away too.

UMMM ... mlbtraderumors reporting we turned down Giolito, Dunning and a third prospect for Cutch.  He isn't worth Robles and Giolito.  Depending on the third prospect, I would have pulled the trigger.  This was on NH, not on Washington.  It offered the best pitching prospect out there.  That wouldn't have been giving him away.  Absolute joke if you think that.  We would have added a young, good, controllable pitcher that would have been in our rotation this year as well as two other pieces.  We are going to add trash to the rotation.  I can feel it.

Why are the experts bashing Washington when Pittsburgh turned down the deal?  Washington valued Eaton and didn't want to pussy foot around with NH.  Eaton is better defensively and has more speed for starters ... and is cheaper and has more years of control.  Eaton has some advantages.

I didn't think that or say that.

They are bashing Washington because they could have had McCutchen for a similar package.
JollyRoger

Winter Meetings

Post by JollyRoger »

One more day at the Winter Meetings, if Cutch is going to get traded; the last team mentioned in rumors is the Dodgers. However I wonder if that "surprise team" is the Cleveland Indians. NH has ties there. The Indians are in a window for the next couple of years to contend. They need more offense. They could part with a Salazar or Carrasco plus a prospect for Cutch.
rucker59@gmail.com

Winter Meetings

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

1528252235332875767F470 wrote: Talk about body language, after the Melancon trade, Clint Hurdle seemed to be visibly affected for more than a week.Despondent is the word.  I supported that trade but Mark's trade hurt team morale badly.As I stated in a separate post, an extension offer to Cutch might soothe his feelings

and might be achievable. in any case, I want my players to be ticked off when they lose.

I've got a feeling there won't be any hometown discount for cutch going forward.
DemDog

Winter Meetings

Post by DemDog »

Talk about a salesman's job, looks like Boras may be desperate with ol' Pedro Alvarez.

This article for MASN talks about Matt Wieters and Pedro. You need to go halfway down the page to see his comments on Pedro. What he says is absolutely hysterical.

Boras on Pedro Alvarez
rucker59@gmail.com

Winter Meetings

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

54757D547F77100 wrote: Talk about a salesman's job, looks like Boras may be desperate with ol' Pedro Alvarez.

This article for MASN talks about Matt Wieters and Pedro.    You need to go halfway down the page to see his comments on Pedro. What he says is absolutely hysterical.

Boras on Pedro Alvarez

Scott Boras to 29 GMs "he's a bargain as a right fielder. Can throw the ball completely out of the stadium at 200 MPH at any moment. Besides, nobody ever hits the ball to RF. He's a natural!"

Scot Boras to 1 GM known to be looking for pitching: "He's a bargain as a #5. Can thrown a 190 MPH to anywhere in the infield or stands at any moment. Besides he'll just be playing once every five days. He's a natural!"

One GM known to be looking for pitching: "you're right, it's only once every five days!"

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Winter Meetings

I would take Pedro back in a heartbeat at $5 million or so. I would take his lefty bat over Jaso for sure. I heard Jaso was taking grounders at 3B too. Right field makes sense for both he and Pedro to at least fill in.

I would rather have a bat on the bench than a glove. So far, it looks like that is happening. Frazier wasn't very good on defense. Jaso only played first base, but he isn't better than Freese. Only Hanson is known for his defense, but he was also moved from SS to 2B since he couldn't make the throw consistently enough. No more defensive whiz (Rodriguez) on the bench at this point.