Winter Meetings

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

JollyRoger

Winter Meetings

Post by JollyRoger »

Reports are confirming the Eaton trade. The Washington blogs are blowing up blasting the trade as the worst ever. Everybody saying that Rizzo was fleeced. Thoughts being that only Cutch or Blackmon are worth what the Nats gave up for Eaton
IABucFan

Winter Meetings

Post by IABucFan »

Something doesn't pass the smell test here. Word was that the Gnats were unwilling to move Lopez and Giolito for #22, but now we find out they will move them for Adam Freaking Eaton? Sorry...not buying that story. Sounds to me like NH never had any intention of moving McCutchen. I have to say, I'm really confused about this offseason. I'm glad #22 is staying in black and gold, for now anyway, but we definitely still have a lot of holes in our rotation. Cole and Taillon are the only sure things. But, hypothetically speaking here, if some of the names we've been linked to are true, I could see the makings of a decent rotation coming together.

1. Cole

2. Taillon

3. Tyson Ross?

4. Kuhl

5. Derrick Holland?

Williams, Brault, Glasnow, etc.

I know some may not be enamored with Ross or Holland, but I like both of them. That 1-5 is a lot better than what we ran out there last year 1-5 anyway, I think.
rucker59@gmail.com

Winter Meetings

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Gotta say - it's depressing being a Pirate fan.

Really sad that we can have no hope or expectation for the Pirates to make any significant baseball move improving the team.

First, significant FAs are off the table.

Now it looks like we won't trade to help the team.

I'm not sure any other options are available.

:P
JollyRoger

Winter Meetings

Post by JollyRoger »

I have the sickening feeling that NH is going to panic and get fleeced by the Dodgers for Cutch. There are no more suitors.

He might trade Harrison as Dodgers need a 2B. I would like the Bucs to sign Tyson Ross but I know they won't offer the dollars or years required to get him
rucker59@gmail.com

Winter Meetings

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

121A192E381D3A355B0 wrote: Something doesn't pass the smell test here.  Word was that the Gnats were unwilling to move Lopez and Giolito for #22, but now we find out they will move them for Adam Freaking Eaton?  Sorry...not buying that story.  Sounds to me like NH never had any intention of moving McCutchen.  I have to say, I'm really confused about this offseason.  I'm glad #22 is staying in black and gold, for now anyway, but we definitely still have a lot of holes in our rotation.  Cole and Taillon are the only sure things.  But, hypothetically speaking here, if some of the names we've been linked to are true, I could see the makings of a decent rotation coming together.

1. Cole

2. Taillon

3. Tyson Ross?

4. Kuhl

5. Derrick Holland?

Williams, Brault, Glasnow, etc.

I know some may not be enamored with Ross or Holland, but I like both of them.  That 1-5 is a lot better than what we ran out there last year 1-5 anyway, I think.

It's too bad, but cynicism has overtaken hope for me. I truly believe Cutch will be moved for whatever he brings.

I'd imagine Cutch is totally ticked off.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Winter Meetings

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

1A3F3C3C29023F373522500 wrote: Reports are confirming the Eaton trade. The Washington blogs are blowing up blasting the trade as the worst ever. Everybody saying that Rizzo was fleeced. Thoughts being that only Cutch or Blackmon are worth what the Nats gave up for Eaton

I agree. McCutchen is better than Eaton. The Pirates made a better offer. Giolito and Lopez for McCutchen should have worked.

Eaton does have four or five years left on his contract. This shows what other teams think of McCutchen (or at least one team). The Nationals have made bad trades before and bad signings, so who knows?

The off season isn't over. Plenty of time to get the needed pitching.
massbucsfan

Winter Meetings

Post by massbucsfan »

I haven't been on here in a while but this is rediculous is Neal in a different location on vacation or something he has done nothing to help the team get better in the last year or so in fact they have gotten worse and with the Cubs and cardinals in the division we aren't gonna sniff the playoffs for years,memo to Neal wake the bleep up
Ecbucs

Winter Meetings

Post by Ecbucs »

It is just terrible form to basically auction off a player and then don't complete a deal.

I would think Cutch is as pissed as any player could be.

Maybe that will fire him up for the season but I think he would have been fired up anyone to show that last year was a fluke and not a decline.

Bottom line for me is the Bucs wanted to trade him but want a lot back (nothing wrong with that) but the Bucs misjudged the market to this point.

Without trading Cutch and without any money for free agents just how is the team going to get better?
SCBucco

Winter Meetings

Post by SCBucco »

7378707C7978632620576E767F7878397478170 wrote: Reports are confirming the Eaton trade. The Washington blogs are blowing up blasting the trade as the worst ever. Everybody saying that Rizzo was fleeced. Thoughts being that only Cutch or Blackmon are worth what the Nats gave up for Eaton

I agree. McCutchen is better than Eaton. The Pirates made a better offer. Giolito and Lopez for McCutchen should have worked.

Eaton does have four or five years left on his contract. This shows what other teams think of McCutchen (or at least one team). The Nationals have made bad trades before and bad signings, so who knows? 

The off season isn't over. Plenty of time to get the needed pitching.

You can get pitching.  Getting good pitching is a different story.  If you are a Pirate fan, you can't be happy with things at all thus far.   No excuses. So, he puts Cutch on the block and fails to make a deal (I don't think there is a match with any of the suitors). So, do you get a motivated Cutch or a sulking Cutch.

The plan this offseason has been terrible. Again, waiting for prices to come down on reclamation projects?
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Winter Meetings

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

416766716777040 wrote: It is just terrible form to basically auction off a player and then don't complete a deal.

I would think Cutch is as pissed as any player could be.

Maybe that will fire him up for the season but I think he would have been fired up anyone to show that last year was a fluke and not a decline.

Bottom line for me is the Bucs wanted to trade him but want a lot back (nothing wrong with that) but the Bucs misjudged the market to this point.

Without trading Cutch and without any money for free agents just how is the team going to get better?

Funny how people are blaming the Pirates now for not trading McCutchen. How come the Nationals aren't getting ripped in getting the better player in McCutchen over Eaton?

The Nationals could have got a better player, but chose someone else. If the rumors are true, the Pirates made a better offer.