Trade Deadline Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by DemDog »

Im feeling so good that they are at .500 I want to suggest a pitcher to get. Why not Liriano? Oops! this much joy usually comes from a couple too many brewskies at the game or the bar. Oh well I hope you guys will forgive me!!! :P :P :P :P :P :P
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

05242C052E26410 wrote: Im feeling so good that they are at .500 I want to suggest a pitcher to get.  Why not Liriano?  Oops!  this much joy usually comes from a couple too many brewskies at the game or the bar.  Oh well I hope you guys will forgive me!!!  :P :P :P :P :P :P

Nope. He is worse now than when the Pirates traded him. Way to ruin the fun...or do people realize that was a good trade yet?
IABucFan

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by IABucFan »

29222A262322397C7A0D342C252222632E224D0 wrote: Im feeling so good that they are at .500 I want to suggest a pitcher to get.  Why not Liriano?  Oops!  this much joy usually comes from a couple too many brewskies at the game or the bar.  Oh well I hope you guys will forgive me!!!  :P :P :P :P :P :P

Nope.  He is worse now than when the Pirates traded him.  Way to ruin the fun...or do people realize that was a good trade yet?

I wouldn't say it was a good trade. I just still think that Ramirez and McGuire had more value. The fact that they've lost that value doesn't negate that. Think of it this way...if I have an ounce of gold, and I sell it for $1,000 when it is worth $2,000, that's a bad trade any way you look at it, regardless of whether or not the price of gold subsequently fell to $500 an ounce.
RichD

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by RichD »

We need a guy who can help out at 3rd and play some LF.

i THINK I HAVE FOUND ONE  :D

The Hit Collector , Matt Hague is toiling over at AAA Rochester .

He could be had for nothing.

Has played a few games this year in the OF .Knows how to play 3rd and can play 1st.

YES ITS CRAZY BUT MAN I WOULD LIKE TO SEE THIS GUY GET A REAL CHANCE .

He is hitting his normal almost 300 with a high obp. Maybe just maybe we could catch lighting in a bottle for a few months.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Trade Deadline Thread

What about Zach Britton of the Orioles? He has to be on the market, just got back from an injury. The Orioles need major league ready pitching and the Pirates have a ton of it in Williams, Brault, Kingham, Cumpton, and Hutchison.
iabucco

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by iabucco »

I would be more interested in adding a bullpen arm. If they could get a shut down guy for the 8th that would be great. It is not a coincidence that their improved record coincides with having a good bullpen era. If they hadn't blown so many games early they might be tied for first.
BucAndEer

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by BucAndEer »

I'm going to piggyback on @IABucFan's post with some numbers to back up his point.

The Pirates saved about $5 million total thanks to the stupidity of Marte and Kang, since they didn't have to pay Marte about $2.2 million and assuming Kang stays out they won't pay his $2.75 million salary.

If my math is right, they ought to have the financial flexibility to take that savings and apply it to an acquisition at the deadline.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but it would seem that a deadline deal for a player with a $15 million contract this season would leave the Pirates on the hook for $5 million of that over 2 months.

Who's making $15 million this season and who's in the last year of his deal? Why, none other than Curtis Granderson. Seems like a no-brainer of an outfield acquisition for when (not if) the Bucs make the playoffs and Marte is ineligible.
dave3BA

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by dave3BA »

5C575F5356574C090F784159505757165B57380 wrote:

What about Zach Britton of the Orioles?  He has to be on the market, just got back from an injury.  The Orioles need major league ready pitching and the Pirates have a ton of it in Williams, Brault, Kingham, Cumpton, and Hutchison. 

Do you honestly think the Orioles would trade one of the best closers in the game for AAAA arms?
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Trade Deadline Thread

40455241176665240 wrote:

What about Zach Britton of the Orioles?  He has to be on the market, just got back from an injury.  The Orioles need major league ready pitching and the Pirates have a ton of it in Williams, Brault, Kingham, Cumpton, and Hutchison. 

Do you honestly think the Orioles would trade one of the best closers in the game for AAAA arms?

I think they would want major league ready starting pitching. The Pirates have plenty. I wasn't assuming it would be a one- for-one deal. Others would have to be included, but the center pice would be a starting pitcher.
BucAndEer

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by BucAndEer »

The more I think about it, I wonder if the Pirates have enough in the system (and enough stones in their tighty-whities) to try to pry Josh Donaldson loose.

You want a really bold move? That might be it. Donaldson is in the final year of his deal and is making $17 million this year. That'd cost the Pirates a shade over $5 million -- right in that sweet spot of savings from the Marte-Kang deals. Freese himself has said his struggles are largely because he's playing every day -- this takes care of that, and puts him in the bench/backup role that might better suit him. It gives the Pirates a rental power bat. And as we all know, the Pirates and Jays have been trading partners before.

Does it sound silly and pie-in-the-sky? Of course. But as I sit here thinking idly at midnight, maybe it's worth at least thinking about.