Game Thread - 6/12 - Bucs @ Braves

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

1B363B2A2D3C2B6B68590 wrote: 6 straight losses during which they scored as many as 4 runs only once (in a game in which they gave up 10).

At least we were treated to getting to watch the guys in the booth 26 times today.

I like the booth count.  By end of season the Bucs broadcasters might lead the league in booth count.
I'm sure they do. When I watch other broadcasts, the announcers are rarely seen. But AT&T Sportsnet thinks we can't hear them joke around with each other unless we can see them.  The burger segment could have been one shot of them in the booth at the beginning and another at the end of the inning. But while the Bucs were rallying for a run, most of the camera work featured the guys in the booth. At one point Brown recapped what we had missed on the field while all we saw was the silliness with the burgers. I suspect the producers and directors of the game broadcasts pat themselves on the back for the "total entertainment" they provide. But I think most fans just want to see the game and consider that attempt at total entertainment an annoying distraction.   

You are right, no Pirate fan is watching because they want to see the broadcasters. You would expect the producers to know it too.
INbuc

Post by INbuc »

This series shows just how far the Pirates are from competing with a playoff caliber team. Offensively, Reynolds (10-15) and Marcano (6-13) hit very well. They combined for 16 of the Bucs 29 hits over 4 games. The rookies struggled mightily. Swaggerty was 1-5 with 3Ks, Suwinski 1-12 with 8Ks, Mitchell 1-10 with 3Ks, Castillo 0-10 with 4Ks, and the catchers combined to go 0-13 with 6Ks. Completely overmatched this weekend. Combined, a robust 3 for 50.

So what happens next? We know Reynolds plays -- period. When Gamal is healthy will he play again? At this point he is better than the rookies, but the rookies have to go through this learning curve. I like Gamal, but his presence basically leaves just one outfield spot. And then you factor in O'Neil Cruz. If Cruz ends up in the OF, and Gamal stays, you have four rookies battling for one spot.

While I could be completely wrong, I don't think the Pirates see Cruz as a SS long term. Moreover, I am not sure they even want to start that dilemma. Cruz has been an error machine in the minors, and giving him that spot and having to move him later could be demoralizing to him. If he sticks at SS, what do you do with Liover Peguero, who is a top 100 prospect, more highly regarded at SS than Cruz, and more highly regarded than any of the current rookie outfielders overall? Of course you could trade him, but I would think the Bucs want both he and Cruz in their future lineups.

Cruz is an incredible offense prospect and we all want him up ASAP. But there are some tough decisions to come. As this weekend showed, it is going to take time to season the young players, and to determine which ones will make it through the gauntlet to the starting lineup--and at what positions?

gileszee

Post by gileszee »

Short term, when Gamel comes off the DL he goes back to LF. Swaggerty goes back to AAA. Castillo needs to go back to AAA, he is struggling with the bat. Bring up Cruz at that point and put him at SS. But what do you do with Newman?Chang needs to go away like yesterday. Mercano should be our 2nd baseman for awhile. Cruz could DH and split playing short with Newman. It will be interesting to see what happens in the next week or two.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

1B1C302731520 wrote: This series shows just how far the Pirates are from competing with a playoff caliber team.  Offensively, Reynolds (10-15) and Marcano (6-13) hit very well.  They combined for 16 of the Bucs 29 hits over 4 games.  The rookies struggled mightily.    Swaggerty was 1-5 with 3Ks, Suwinski 1-12 with 8Ks, Mitchell 1-10 with 3Ks, Castillo 0-10 with 4Ks, and the catchers combined to go 0-13 with 6Ks.  Completely overmatched this weekend.  Combined, a robust 3 for 50. 

So what happens next?  We know Reynolds plays -- period.  When Gamal is healthy will he play again?  At this point he is better than the rookies, but the rookies have to go through this learning curve.  I like Gamal, but his presence basically leaves just one outfield spot.  And then you factor in O'Neil Cruz.  If Cruz ends up in the OF, and Gamal stays, you have four rookies battling for one spot.

While I could be completely wrong, I don't think the Pirates see Cruz as a SS long term.  Moreover, I am not sure they even want to start that dilemma.  Cruz has been an error machine in the minors, and giving him that spot and having to move him later could be demoralizing to him.  If he sticks at SS, what do you do with Liover Peguero, who is a top 100 prospect, more highly regarded at SS than Cruz, and more highly regarded than any of the current rookie outfielders overall?  Of course you could trade him, but I would think the Bucs want both he and Cruz in their future lineups.

Cruz is an incredible offense prospect and we all want him up ASAP.  But there are some tough decisions to come.  As this weekend showed, it is going to take time to season the young players, and to determine which ones will make it through the gauntlet to the starting lineup--and at what positions?

You hit it on the head: LMGs vs. veterans.

Padres, Giants, Braves. That's the kind of roster needed. As good as those clubs are, they're not leading their divisions.

Before you get to the three of them, you have to pass the Phillies, Brewers, and others.

The young man, Cruz, is not the difference between us and them. The steps after him are that important.

To reach the horizon costs another >$60 million. That's how far away we are.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

Maybe we have become numb to the fact but no one mentions

the catching situation. Heineman is batting .150 Perez .107. I think someone mentioned that we should use a pitcher and DH for the catcher. not a bad idea
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

The Pirates have a significant number of veterans on the DL - VanMeter, Gamel, Tsutugo, Allen, Newman, Marisnick, and Perez (who is done). With the possible exceptions of Gamel and Newman (Allen has never played for the team), none offer much longer term value to the team, and none are indispensable, even in the short-term. In addition to the injured players, Chang appears to offer nothing, and Vogelbach is a one dimensional player who occasionally offers some power (while also clogging up the bases when he gets on).

The Pirates have infused a lot of youth into this year's team and I believe they should continue and not shy away from adding more.

Cruz is now hitting at AAA, but he continues to make too many errors at SS (He does - 14 errors in 148 chances at SS) and is not adjusting well to playing LF (2 additional errors in LF in only 21 chances). So --- bring him up to be the primary DH and give him spot starts at SS. Trade or release Vogelbach (even though he seems like a nice guy).

Continue to run out Swaggerty, Mitchell, and Suwinski in the OF to complement Reynolds and let them get more ab's .

Hayes, Castillo/Newman/Cruz (SS), Marcano/Castillo (2nd), and Chavis/Gamel at 1st.

Heineman and Perez remain the catchers until another wavier wire claim can be made.

Marcano

Hayes

Reynolds

Chavis/Gamel

Cruz - DH

Suwinski

Mitchell/Swaggerty

Heineman

Castillo (particularly against LH's)

The above line-up will continue to lose more games than the team wins, but most players could use the experience. Next year, Peguero comes up to play SS, and the team sorts out the best position for Cruz.

My general sentiments: This season is too short to commit more ab's to any combo of Chang, Vogelbach, VanMeter, Tsutugo, and Marisnick (even though he is a great defensive OF'er). Gamel and Newman are the short-term veteran bridges, and perhaps Allen can take Gamel's spot if/when he is traded.

The official site notes that the team may be waiting until the next homestand to bring up Cruz. Seeing as he already made his debut last year, this logic doesn't make much sense to me.