Cole dealt to Astros

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

notes34

Cole dealt to Astros

Post by notes34 »

Here is what our fabulous GM had to say about the deal:

Pirates GM Neal Huntington describes the trade as “the balance of immediate and moderate and longer-term.” (hat tip to Liz Bloom of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette). “We felt this was the right move to get these players that are major-league ready with 15 years contribution combined,” Huntington adds.

So there you have it folks. Getting cheap controllable "MLB" ready talent was the goal. Even if they are mediocre at best. We got what we wanted. I would've rather seen a young exciting top prospect coming back. Someone with a much higher ceiling and a chance to be a star. We didn't get that. I have no idea why people wanted Moran? He screams mediocrity.
notes34

Cole dealt to Astros

Post by notes34 »

4D444C5D53290 wrote: Also NH should have been fired at the end of the season and not been allowed to sell off.  Now after this scattershot of low-upside talent for 2 years of cost-controlled Cole, he should be fired again.  hypothetically re-hired so that he could be hypothetically re-fired lol!

This guy is a joke of a GM now.  Whatever moxy he had 3-4 years ago is long gone..   Whether or not he's hamstrung by Nutting's payroll has nothing to do with his ridiculous trade returns (on paper).

He's being laughed at on this one, as is the org.  Part of the Walker trade return value was "years of control" and we got totally cooked.   

A huge part of this return value is "years of control" as well.

years of control mean nothing if you're controlling a couple 1 WAR players.   The goal is to get as many GOOD players together at the same time as you can.   Then you win.

I couldn't agree with you more. This guy is flat out terrible.
IABucFan

Cole dealt to Astros

Post by IABucFan »

I don’t disagree with any of what is being said. I just want to know, why are all those who two days ago wants Moran so silent now?
timozbuck

Cole dealt to Astros

Post by timozbuck »

2A2221160025020D630 wrote: I don’t disagree with any of what is being said. I just want to know, why are all those who two days ago wants Moran so silent now?

I think the Moran truthers were hoping he’d be the 2nd or 3rd piece of the deal. Instead, he’s the freaking headliner.

The more that I think about this deal, the more that I dislike it. Guys like Musgrove grow on trees. Moran probably won’t be good enough defensively to remain at 3b and probably won’t hit for enough power to be a plus 1b. The reliever is meh. The A baller is promising at least.

Going to be a long season.
BenM

Cole dealt to Astros

Post by BenM »

15 years contribution combined

That is the weirdest baseball metric I have ever seen.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Cole dealt to Astros

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

It sounds like the Pirates tried to extend Cole and he was not that entertaining to the idea.
notes34

Cole dealt to Astros

Post by notes34 »

21060D2E630 wrote: 15 years contribution combined

That is the weirdest baseball metric I have ever seen.
For the Pirates it isn't. 15 Years of controllable(cheap) players. Score!
notes34

Cole dealt to Astros

Post by notes34 »

474C44484D4C571214635A424B4C4C0D404C230 wrote: It sounds like the Pirates tried to extend Cole and he was not that entertaining to the idea.
So that is a reason to take an underwhelming return on what is likely your best trade chip? I would've rather held until the break if this was the best you could do.
Quail

Cole dealt to Astros

Post by Quail »

060D05090C0D165355221B030A0D0D4C010D620 wrote: It sounds like the Pirates tried to extend Cole and he was not that entertaining to the idea.

What makes you suspect this? Why is it not just as likely that the Pirates felt he was on the decline, and not worth a longer term deal? With the aggregate low ceiling return that they got for Cole from the Astros I think its reasonable to conclude the Pirate$ didn't think he was all that valuable a commodity. Either that or NH is not very good at negotiations and talent evaluation, and he got hosed on the deal.
dmetz

Cole dealt to Astros

Post by dmetz »

Here's the move.   Sign Todd Frazier. Moran can serve as 4th outfielder if backup for now.   

With Polanco and Marte, the 4th of will be starting in short order anyway and Moran's glove looks like s##t at 3rd, on paper.

Sign a starter.   

Roll with Musgrove in the pen for now, where he's been high quality.

Taillon

Kuhl

Nova

Williams

Signing

Marte

jHay

Cutch

Frazier

Bell

Cervelli until the DL

Polanco

Mercer

See what happens.  Sell off at the break if you're not 4_5 games over .500

When the market is better, or we have a different GM, perhaps both. 

Edit: and get a lefty starter for cripes sake, take advantage of our home park factor. If you can't sign someone good, at least sign Garcia or have Brault start.