Game thread 7/23 - Glasnow Home Debut

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Trainers were on the field and walked off with him.

Bottom of the 8th. I hope Melancon comes in no matter what. The Phillies have been in base all game.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Jung Ho PHing.

Can't believe Chicago police has not cleared of charged. What other evidence are they going to find?

He's not the same player that's for sure.
Jerseykc

Post by Jerseykc »

Ugly win but we'll take it

I'm starting to become indifferent as to whether we make the wild-card or not.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

7572646C6275323E47606A666E6B2964686A070 wrote: Jung Ho PHing.

Can't believe Chicago police has not cleared of charged.  What other evidence are they going to find?

He's not the same player that's for sure.

I agree. He should be the biggest power bat and in the middle of the line up. He just doesn't look like he is in the right mind set compared to last year.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

I been one of the ones saying for Glasnow to be a permanent piece in this rotation for the rest of the season. But after watching him today I am not so sure. Watching him pitch is pure torture. He has no rythem, and I don't know he just looks like right now he pitches scared and has no confidence what so ever. We heard his fastball topped out at 98-99 and so far we aren't seeing that at all. He has only hit 95 at best and is getting no swings and misses. So I have no problem admitting I was wrong in saying he definitely needs more work, and he also looks like he needs to get tougher and more confident out there. His demeanor on the mound seems like he pitches too tentative and too scared.
PMike

Post by PMike »

I'm not sure why anyone is surprised at the results we've seen from Glasnow. At every level jump in his professional career, he has initially struggled. Every playoff game he has struggled. Clearly, it takes a little bit for him to emotionally catch up to the new moments and challenges. There are enough really calming presences on the MLB roster right now, they will help him come around.

NH continued to say that Glasnow wasn't ready and needed to work on a number of things. However, people see gaudy ERA and strikeout numbers and declare the FO to be idiots and disinterested in winning. Low and behold, Glasnow does indeed, have things he is working on. Shocking. ::)
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Despite Glasnow not looking good assuming the Pirates don't trade for a pitcher at the deadline and Glasnow is healthy, I would still rather see him pitching every 5th day over guys like Locke and Niese. He has great stuff he just needs to polish up his control and his ability to hold runners on. I'd still rather have him work on his problems here at the Major League level then at AAA.
ChitownBucco

Post by ChitownBucco »

Can he realistically work on his change up, holding runners on, slid step, and control

All without running his confidence?
dogknot17@yahoo.co

11362723263B04302726263B420 wrote: Despite Glasnow not looking good assuming the Pirates don't trade for a pitcher at the deadline and Glasnow is healthy, I would still rather see him pitching every 5th day over guys like Locke and Niese. He has great stuff he just needs to polish up his control and his ability to hold runners on. I'd still rather have him work on his problems here at the Major League level then at AAA.

I'm not sure if I agree with that. These games matter. They don't matter in the minors. Why would you want him to face a major league team throwing just change ups or another pitch he hasn't perfected?

He is still a talent. Maybe he will get a spot start, but he shouldn't be in the rotation. Huntington was right.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

495470727C190 wrote: I'm not sure why anyone is surprised at the results we've seen from Glasnow.  At every level jump in his professional career, he has initially struggled.  Every playoff game he has struggled.  Clearly, it takes a little bit for him to emotionally catch up to the new moments and challenges.  There are enough really calming presences on the MLB roster right now, they will help him come around.

NH continued to say that Glasnow wasn't ready and needed to work on a number of things.  However, people see gaudy ERA and strikeout numbers and declare the FO to be idiots and disinterested in winning.  Low and behold, Glasnow does indeed, have things he is working on.  Shocking.   ::)

First of all, his shoulder was hurt which is much more telling of why he was completely off than any nonsense about him not being able to battle with a bad ML lineup... because he hasn't perfected a change-up.   

Second of all, the FO is responsible for a pitcher with countless minor league starts not having a slide step as a 6'8" right hander.  The incompetence of minor league instruction regarding that is very surprising.   His clock to home is embarrassingly bad, and they've let him keep pitching that way through AAA. WHY?

Third, the FO is responsible for calling him up, not OBN

Lastly, the FO is responsible for blowing the offseason, and having to count on AAA prospects to save the season in July.

THE FO IS RESPONSIBLE, NOT FANS.   Understand?