Game Thread - 7/5 - Yankees @ Pirates

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

Well, my fat thumbs got in the way and caused me to delete what I had written just as I was ready to post.

First, great win. So glad that the many Yankee fans in the stadium went home disappointed.

Quintana worked miracles to make it through 5 and only giving up one.

A couple of homers, a couple of doubles, and some singles too; a real offense, at least for one night.

More and more, Crowe is beginning to look like a 1 inning pitcher.

My favorite moment of the game was the last pitch. Yankee's have their best hitter at the plate and still some hope of pulling the game out. Bednar to Judge; nope, not tonight. Judge looked paralyzed.

Hoping against hope that Keller can emulate Quintana and not implode tomorrow night. Taking one from the Yanks was great, but winning both games would be so much sweeter.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

674A47565140571714250 wrote: Is it time to begin wondering if Hayes will be an offensive contributor this season and beyond?  His first month in Pittsburgh showed such great promise.  Since then, not so much.
Hayes was not a great hitter in the minors and the question was always whether he'd hit MLB pitching. He was very hot when he made his debut for a month in 2020 but has since reverted to a .250-ish hitter with modest power. I don't know if it's fair to expect much more.

I wonder why, then, the Pirates felt the need to offer him a big contract so early?  A 3Bman who has little power and bats just .250 isn't exactly a major league prototype.  Yeah, his glove is really good, but is that enough to offset average offensive skills? The money could've been better served to sign Reynolds instead.
2drfischer@gmail.c

0B262B3A3D2C3B7B78490 wrote: Go-Go Jack Suwinski.  2 run shot!

What a nice surprise he’s been.  I hope he’s not a shooting star and flames out.  He’d be a valuable piece in the coming years.
Other than the first 2 weeks of the AA season this year, Suwinski did not hit for average in the minors. But the power is real and he should improve his BA over the years. I wouldn't expect too much but he could be a big HR guy with a .240-.250 BA.

Which would be most-welcome. The team needs a lefty power bat to take advantage of that ballpark.
2drfischer@gmail.c

0937323A2931313A1A3F283B6C5E0 wrote: Yankees are no match for our Buccos!  :)
Bucs are now 6-1 against the 2 teams with baseballs best records

Dodgers and Yankees

And yet some claim we have "the worst GM in all of baseball".
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

7D2B3D29263C2C272A3D0F28222E2623612C4F0 wrote: Yankees are no match for our Buccos!  :)
Bucs are now 6-1 against the 2 teams with baseballs best records

Dodgers and Yankees

And yet some claim we have "the worst GM in all of baseball".
Only some who live in Ohio
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

It was great to see PNC full even though about half were Yankee fans. Guess that made it even sweeter!!
INbuc

Post by INbuc »

4E6564616164635E796C796462630D0 wrote: I'm trying to be cautious but I'm starting to buy into Suwinski.

And I don't care if he hits .230. The guy is on pace to hit about 30 jacks.

This stadium is built for LH power, and I've never understood why the Pirates, historically since moving into PNC, have not made it a priority to build their offensive around LH power.

But now with Reynolds, Suwinski, Cruz, Vogelbach, maybe it's finally starting to happen ... and it's definitely paying off.

If Suwinski can hit 25-35 HR per year, and drive in 90+ while hitting .230 to .240, I'm all for it.

I agree  ;D Needs to take a few walks, but i understand the young players wanting to hit their way on to the team. Suwinski is our Kyle Shwarber with solid defense

I believe the numbers support what we feel and see. The NL league batting average is .244, the Pirates team average is .222 and Suwinski is .227. So he is a tad above average for the Bucs and a little below average for the NL. But when it comes to power, Suwinski checks in at 13.8 AB per HR -- good enough for 5th in the NL, where the league average is 30.5 AB/HR.

Perhaps the power is exaggerated by a limited sample size. But I also found it interesting the Bucs leaped him over some AAA prospects right into the starting lineup. They must have had a strong feeling about him. Nonetheless, the Bucs are 8 and 4 in games in which he has homered, including wins against the Giants, Dodgers (2), Milwaukee, and the Yankees. So at .227, keep him in the lineup every day.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

17103C2B3D5E0 wrote: I'm trying to be cautious but I'm starting to buy into Suwinski.

This stadium is built for LH power, and I've never understood why the Pirates, historically since moving into PNC, have not made it a priority to build their offensive around LH power.

But now with Reynolds, Suwinski, Cruz, Vogelbach, maybe it's finally starting to happen ... and it's definitely paying off.

If Suwinski can hit 25-35 HR per year, and drive in 90+ while hitting .230 to .240, I'm all for it.

I agree  ;D Needs to take a few walks, but i understand the young players wanting to hit their way on to the team. Suwinski is our Kyle Shwarber with solid defense

I believe the numbers support what we feel and see.  The NL league batting average is .244, the Pirates team average is .222 and Suwinski is .227.  So he is a tad above average for the Bucs and a little below average for the NL.  But when it comes to power, Suwinski checks in at 13.8 AB per HR -- good enough for 5th in the NL, where the league average is 30.5 AB/HR.   

Perhaps the power is exaggerated by a limited sample size.  But I also found it interesting the Bucs leaped him over some AAA prospects right into the starting lineup.  They must have had a strong feeling about him.  Nonetheless, the Bucs are 8 and 4 in games in which he has homered, including wins against the Giants, Dodgers (2), Milwaukee, and the Yankees.  So at .227, keep him in the lineup every day.
He's a brand new guy, fresh off the shelf. I know the Pirates fan way is to usually look for the warts. However, Jack Suwinski had 97 AB's total between April and May. He has 97 AB's total June to present.

Check his progress, and you'll see that the overall numbers are dragged down by a slow start. The last 97 AB's are what we have been seeing, and it's a good sample size now, and Jack Suwinski is playing and hitting way better than the numbers you are showing. The eye test is proven by the numbers. Jack Suwinski is getting better and better right before our very eyes.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

1E383F2A232F382E264D0 wrote: I'm trying to be cautious but I'm starting to buy into Suwinski.

I believe the numbers support what we feel and see.  The NL league batting average is .244, the Pirates team average is .222 and Suwinski is .227.  So he is a tad above average for the Bucs and a little below average for the NL.  But when it comes to power, Suwinski checks in at 13.8 AB per HR -- good enough for 5th in the NL, where the league average is 30.5 AB/HR.   

Perhaps the power is exaggerated by a limited sample size.  But I also found it interesting the Bucs leaped him over some AAA prospects right into the starting lineup.  They must have had a strong feeling about him.  Nonetheless, the Bucs are 8 and 4 in games in which he has homered, including wins against the Giants, Dodgers (2), Milwaukee, and the Yankees.  So at .227, keep him in the lineup every day.
He's a brand new guy, fresh off the shelf. I know the Pirates fan way is to usually look for the warts. However, Jack Suwinski had 97 AB's total between April and May. He has 97 AB's total June to present.

Check his progress, and you'll see that the overall numbers are dragged down by a slow start. The last 97 AB's are what we have been seeing, and it's a good sample size now, and Jack Suwinski is playing and hitting way better than the numbers you are showing. The eye test is proven by the numbers. Jack Suwinski is getting better and better right before our very eyes.
Good point. Since the beginning of June, his BA is .268 with an OBP of .372. That better than I would expect him to hit as a rookie after skipping AAA. And it's very acceptable for an MLB power hitter.
INbuc

Post by INbuc »

4B6D6A7F767A6D7B73180 wrote: I'm trying to be cautious but I'm starting to buy into Suwinski.

Maybe you are looking for warts. I was trying to say at .227 (or even a bit lower) Suwinski's power, and really his overall game, justifies him staying in the lineup every day. He is an exciting and refreshing prospect.