Cole dealt to Astros

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Cole dealt to Astros

Post by Ecbucs »

00080B3C2A0F2827490 wrote: IDK...maybe Cole will figure something out in Houston, but I'm at best skeptical. That park is a bandbox, and with now having to pitch to a DH, I could see Cole giving up a bunch of homers next year. I'm surprised he didn't have whiplash last year as often as his head was spinning around watching his latest gopher ball fly out of the park. I wish the Bucs could have gotten more, but all in all, I'm OK with this trade. It's a great deal for the Astros on paper, as they didn't give up anything that will hurt them. But, that could be as much a testament to how strong their MLB team and organization as a whole are. My preliminary grade on this deal is a B+, not great, but not terrible either. Watching these four guys for a year may change my opinion this time next year, but for now, B+.

the home runs are a big question with Cole. He gave up 31 last year. However, was 2017 an aberration? He had never given up more than 11 in any other season. 1.4 per nine innings last year compared to consistent .5 to .7 in all other seasons.
SammyKhalifa

Cole dealt to Astros

Post by SammyKhalifa »

60686B5C4A6F4847290 wrote: OK...how is this a horrible trade? Admittedly, I don't know squat about these players. I've been very vocal in my frustration with NH and the rest of this loser organization. But, two days ago, people on this board were screaming to get Moran. I'm sure I could pull up posts from a couple of days ago saying something along the lines of, "If the Bucs deal Cole and don't get Moran back, NH is an idiot." Well, NH got Moran back, plus three other guys who may or may not help. I'm as frustrated with NH as anybody. But, how exactly did he lose this trade?

I like Moran back, who totally fills a need and might be pretty good. I'd like a big upside guy besides though. Now granted, I NEVER think we get back enough in a deal (for any team I follow in any sport) but it seems warranted this time. Like I said Ilike all the pieces well enough but there seems to be something missing here.
dmetz

Cole dealt to Astros

Post by dmetz »

There's no chance they were offered Clint Frazier and Andujar.

Moran and Musgrove headlined this lol.  NH is a dinner party punchline for industry insiders.    We won't have to wait and see long with this one. Moran will be starting at 3b and Musgrove will be scholarshiped into the rotation regardless of performance.

Zips has him at. 4.50 ERA.

timozbuck

Cole dealt to Astros

Post by timozbuck »

Moran and Musgrove were nice pieces but still seems like we are missing a headliner here. Could NH have received a better return at the deadline? If Cole pitches to his career average (just entering prime), I think so.

No hope with this owner and management team.
ChitownBucco

Cole dealt to Astros

Post by ChitownBucco »

727B73626C160 wrote: There's no chance they were offered Clint Frazier and Andujar.

Moran and Musgrove headlined this lol.  NH is a dinner party punchline for industry insiders.    We won't have to wait and see long with this one.  Moran will be starting at 3b and Musgrove will be scholarshiped into the rotation regardless of performance.

what does zips have for Cole this year?
SCBucco

Cole dealt to Astros

Post by SCBucco »

Musgrove is someone we have to me.  His name is Kuhl.  Musgrave will be our #5.  Not enamored with him, but we shall see.  I didn't realize Moran was 25.  He supposedly isn't a good defensive 3B man.  He is a better 1B man. His bat is his thing. Got a text from a buddy of mine I worked with in Corpus Christi.  He has seen all these cats in person in AA ball.  He said we will like Musgrove.  I told him we already have one of him.  Feliz is either a boom or bust type.  Thinks Martin could be the steal of the deal for us.  Speedy OFer with some pop.

So, I think this propels Pittsburgh to deal Cutch.  As Bobster said, I'm glad Cole is dealt. I too wasn't enamored, however, he was our best trade bait. Did we do ok? Not sure.
ThePirate

Cole dealt to Astros

Post by ThePirate »

7C565D6D5A4C4C402F0 wrote: Moran will platoon at 3b with the guy we've already got. Musgrove will make the rotation in a lower slot than Cole had with us, or will have with Houston. Feliz is a righthanded relief pitcher. We also got AA outfielder who was not among the Astros top prospects.

I will now officially drop my plea to sign Moustakas. Moran will be our lefty batting 3rd baseman. I expect that Cutch will be gone by the end of the month.

Curious about who we will drop off the 40-man. Their value,  however slight, will further tilt the scales out o our favor.

I am so disappointed.  :-/
We haven’t received a major league OF in this trade, so I don’t think Cutch goes unless we get a good one. I think they’ll keep him and if we’re out of it by July they would trade him.
dmetz

Cole dealt to Astros

Post by dmetz »

0E252439223A230F382E2E224D0 wrote: There's no chance they were offered Clint Frazier and Andujar.

Moran and Musgrove headlined this lol.  NH is a dinner party punchline for industry insiders.    We won't have to wait and see long with this one.  Moran will be starting at 3b and Musgrove will be scholarshiped into the rotation regardless of performance.

what does zips have for Cole this year?

dmetz

Cole dealt to Astros

Post by dmetz »

4A5A5B6C7A7A76190 wrote: Musgrove is someone we have to me.  His name is Kuhl.  Musgrave will be our #5.  Not enamored with him, but we shall see.  I didn't realize Moran was 25.  He supposedly isn't a good defensive 3B man.  He is a better 1B man. His bat is his thing. Got a text from a buddy of mine I worked with in Corpus Christi.  He has seen all these cats in person in AA ball.  He said we will like Musgrove.  I told him we already have one of him.  Feliz is either a boom or bust type.  Thinks Martin could be the steal of the deal for us.  Speedy OFer with some pop.

So, I think this propels Pittsburgh to deal Cutch.    As Bobster said, I'm glad Cole is dealt.  I too wasn't enamored, however, he was our best trade bait.  Did we do ok?  Not sure.

Martin was an Astros throw in. He was left unprotected in rule 5 just last month. So the Astros thought so much of him they wouldn't put him on the 40...and nobody claimed him

SammyKhalifa

Cole dealt to Astros

Post by SammyKhalifa »

The thing is, I'm excited about the guys in this deal, but you still have this overarching feeling that this was the one piece we had to get something great, and it didn't happen.