Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

agent00

Nationals looking at Melancon

Post by agent00 »

Deal is done apparently.
Osushawn

Post by Osushawn »

Felipe Rivero and Taylor Hearn. I like the trade. Rivero slots in the 7th inning slot and either watson or feliz closes. Hearn looks like he has plus stuff.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I am surprised. To a team the Pirates are competing against.

Taylor Hearn was drafted by the Pirates before. Only in Single A now.
Tintin

Post by Tintin »

565D55595C5D460305724B535A5D5D1C515D320 wrote: It won't paralyze the team if they get nothing for Melancon especially if the return would be a high A level prospect and a fungible reliever for their All-Star closer as suggested above.  My guess is that there will be a revolt in the clubhouse, however, if that's the return while they are legitimately chasing the playoffs.

So the players will revolt and not finish three games over .500?

They aren't performing NOW. They are playing complacent baseball.

Why do we think they'll get good, next week or month or post season?

Their schedule.

We've gone 6-6 since the break while playing 9 games against fair to bad teams.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

77524154484348494C44200 wrote: It won't paralyze the team if they get nothing for Melancon especially if the return would be a high A level prospect and a fungible reliever for their All-Star closer as suggested above.  My guess is that there will be a revolt in the clubhouse, however, if that's the return while they are legitimately chasing the playoffs.

I think it's worth noting that Wrathchild nailed the trade in advance, almost perfectly: a middling A level prospect (rather than a high level prospect) and a fungible reliever who looks to fit right in with our very fungible bullpen.

And the clubhouse, while no revolt is reported or likely, that dugout was the scene of "quit" yesterday. Even Clint looked like he was just trying to get to the end of the game and get out of there.

Wrathchild - there's a lot of lipstick being wasted on a pig, but you nailed it: there is no way this trade justifies losing Malancon. It's just barely above a salary dump.
mouse

Post by mouse »

I wouldn't say salary dump. More on the line of something is better than nothing. They've apparently assessed the chance Melancon would make a difference from here on out and decided likely not, so get what they can while they can.
Jonathan34

Post by Jonathan34 »

494E58505E490E027B5C565A5257155854563B0 wrote: It won't paralyze the team if they get nothing for Melancon especially if the return would be a high A level prospect and a fungible reliever for their All-Star closer as suggested above.  My guess is that there will be a revolt in the clubhouse, however, if that's the return while they are legitimately chasing the playoffs.

I think it's worth noting that Wrathchild nailed the trade in advance, almost perfectly: a middling A level prospect (rather than a high level prospect) and a fungible reliever who looks to fit right in with our very fungible bullpen.

And the clubhouse, while no revolt is reported or likely, that dugout was the scene of "quit" yesterday.  Even Clint looked like he was just trying to get to the end of the game and get out of there.

Wrathchild - there's a lot of lipstick being wasted on a pig, but you nailed it: there is no way this trade justifies losing Malancon.  It's just barely above a salary dump. 

And "fungible" reliever is subjective in this assessment. Most experts, scouts and even an anonymous player commented that Rivero is a stud, with a chance to be the closer in waiting and will be with us for four more full years.

The reason the prospect was a low-A pitcher (who does have tremendous upside) was because Rivero was the major piece of this trade.

It's difficult to watch this season, after making the WC the last three years. And it's difficult to watch Liriano, Cutch and Kang implode this season. But the front office, in my estimation, has built a great organization that will be a force as soon as next season. And hopefully when Rivero is saving games in October in the very near future, we will all be able to see this trade with a bit more perspective.