Game Thread - 7/15 - Bucs @ Rockies

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

6F434B4C4760574151220 wrote: It's really bad when your LH hitting platoon first baseman (Tsutugo) isn't in the starting line-up against a RH pitcher.  And, to add further insult, the LH hitter starting at first has no real experience at first, and he has a batting average almost as low as you. 

The team's ongoing fascination with VanMeter is perplexing.  He is batting first tonight and has hit clean-up in the past.  He has a career batting average just above .200, a career OBP below .300, and he is not young in baseball terms as this is his 4th year on a MLB roster.  Even if he did miraculously start to hit, he would soon be free agent eligible. 

Based on everything to date, it appears that VanMeter will be on the active roster for the season.   

If Quintana pitches well tonight, 5 innings giving up 2 runs or less, I've got to assume that a contending team will want to acquire him soon after the all-star break.

Continuing, I know Cruz wants to remain a SS, but if one of the outfielders gets hurt tonight, he may need to be used in the OF simply because they need someone who has at least played the position before.   And while I know that they used Tsutugo in the OF in several forgettable games last year, he demonstrated that Vogelbach could be a better option.

Lastly, Apple TV be damned for yet again cheating me out of a Pirate broadcast on my MLB TV package.

Yea guys like Van Meter and Yoshi have no business being on this team moving forward especially after the All Star Break. This team is 15 games under .500 with 71 games left to play. Bring the young guys up and let them play everyday. Call Ji-Hwan Bae up and play him. Play Mitchell a bunch in the outfield and call Suwinski back up after the break and play him as well. I think it’s starting to be time as well to start evaluating Derek Shelton a little bit more and make a decision on him going into next season if he is truly going to be your guy as this team continues to improve and get closer to competing the next few seasons. I for one am not sold and would clean house with Shelton and this entire coaching staff at seasons end. I think that is a critical move moving forward that must be made.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

537465616479467265646479000 wrote: It's really bad when your LH hitting platoon first baseman (Tsutugo) isn't in the starting line-up against a RH pitcher.  And, to add further insult, the LH hitter starting at first has no real experience at first, and he has a batting average almost as low as you. 

The team's ongoing fascination with VanMeter is perplexing.  He is batting first tonight and has hit clean-up in the past.  He has a career batting average just above .200, a career OBP below .300, and he is not young in baseball terms as this is his 4th year on a MLB roster.  Even if he did miraculously start to hit, he would soon be free agent eligible. 

Based on everything to date, it appears that VanMeter will be on the active roster for the season.   

If Quintana pitches well tonight, 5 innings giving up 2 runs or less, I've got to assume that a contending team will want to acquire him soon after the all-star break.

Continuing, I know Cruz wants to remain a SS, but if one of the outfielders gets hurt tonight, he may need to be used in the OF simply because they need someone who has at least played the position before.   And while I know that they used Tsutugo in the OF in several forgettable games last year, he demonstrated that Vogelbach could be a better option.

Lastly, Apple TV be damned for yet again cheating me out of a Pirate broadcast on my MLB TV package.

Yea guys like Van Meter and Yoshi have no business being on this team moving forward especially after the All Star Break. This team is 15 games under .500 with 71 games left to play. Bring the young guys up and let them play everyday. Call Ji-Hwan Bae up and play him. Play Mitchell a bunch in the outfield and call Suwinski back up after the break and play him as well. I think it’s starting to be time as well to start evaluating Derek Shelton a little bit more and make a decision on him going into next season if he is truly going to be your guy as this team continues to improve and get closer to competing the next few seasons. [highlight]I for one am not sold and would clean house with Shelton and this entire coaching staff at seasons end.[/highlight] I think that is a critical move moving forward that must be made.

It would be a foregone conclusion that if you dump Shelty that his entire coaching staff would be gone, maybe with the exception of local favorite Don Kelly.
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

It would be a foregone conclusion that if you dump Shelty that his entire coaching staff would be gone, maybe with the exception of local favorite Don Kelly.

Does anyone think Shelton chose his coaches? I'm doubtful.