Post by WildwoodDave2 »

Raise it!

according to Brownie, the last time the Pirates shut out the Cards

in St. Louis was 10 years ago
WildwoodDave2

Official Game Thread - 4/13 Bucs @ Cards

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

Pleasantly surprising game from Velasquez. I hope there will be more. [/quote

Agreed. I haven't been high on him. Hoping as you are that he can build off this Bucs 8-5
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

I know it's still early, but that was the most impressive win of the season so far. Excellent performance in many phases ... starting pitching, bullpen, power, timely hitting.

I was expecting a Cardinals sweep so we're already 1 game above the bar.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

This team continues to battle and find ways to win games even after the injury to Cruz. So far a lot of the veterans and acquisitions they have brought in so far are hitting and making a difference in the lineup. Guys like Santana, Choi, Connor Joe, and obviously Cutch. And watching Ji-Hwan Bae play everyday and make the plays he has in the field wherever they put him and get big hits at the plate has made a huge difference as well.

Looking at the Pirates schedule the next 13 out of 16 games to close out the month of April they have a shot to continue to stay over .500 I believe going into May. 13 out of the next 16 games are against the Cardinals the next 3 who are struggling and who you might be playing and catching at the right time right now, 3 with the Rockies in Colorado who aren’t great, 4 at home with the Reds who I know beat the Pirates 2 of 3 to start the year but still aren’t that good and very beatable, and 3 games at Washington against the Nats who stink. The other 3 games are 3 at home with the Dodgers in between.

The Pirates are 8-5 now no reason to think with the way they are currently playing in these next 16 games and who they are playing that they couldn’t go something like 10-6 or 9-7 in these next 16 games.  If that happens they would be either 18-11 or 17-12 going into May after close to 30 games which for this team would be tremendous and would put them damn close to the top of the NL Central after 1 month into the season.  I think it has a shot to happen so looking forward to finding out.
Osushawn

Post by Osushawn »

40677672776A55617677776A130 wrote: This team continues to battle and find ways to win games even after the injury to Cruz. So far a lot of the veterans and acquisitions they have brought in so far are hitting and making a difference in the lineup. Guys like Santana, Choi, Connor Joe, and obviously Cutch. And watching Ji-Hwan Bae play everyday and make the plays he has in the field wherever they put him and get big hits at the plate has made a huge difference as well.

Looking at the Pirates schedule the next 13 out of 16 games to close out the month of April they have a shot to continue to stay over .500 I believe going into May. 13 out of the next 16 games are against the Cardinals the next 3 who are struggling and who you might be playing and catching at the right time right now, 3 with the Rockies in Colorado who aren’t great, 4 at home with the Reds who I know beat the Pirates 2 of 3 to start the year but still aren’t that good and very beatable, and 3 games at Washington against the Nats who stink. The other 3 games are 3 at home with the Dodgers in between.

The Pirates are 8-5 now no reason to think with the way they are currently playing in these next 16 games and who they are playing that they couldn’t go something like 10-6 or 9-7 in these next 16 games.  If that happens they would be either 18-11 or 17-12 going into May after close to 30 games which for this team would be tremendous and would put them damn close to the top of the NL Central after 1 month into the season.  I think it has a shot to happen so looking forward to finding out.

Shelton is pulling the strings at the right time so you have to give him credit. The team is playing well and its fun to watch!
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

I am not an expert but Bae looks like a natural in center.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

As much as I’d like to say this team can compete for a playoff spot, being realistic is prudent. There’s a desperate need for another player of Reynolds ability, better offense from the catching position, a dependable 2Bman, Hayes to raise his offensive production, and another solid outfielder who can hit 20-25 HRs.

The starting pitching is looking very promising and the bullpen has done its share. The entire staff needs to continue to move towards being a dominate group.

But having said that, I’m excited by what I see team-wise. There seems to be a different attitude, one that shows they’re not going to quit, that they’re not intimidated, that they believe in themselves. It just seems different than in the past couple of years. It’s early and things can change for the worse, but I think the added veterans like McCutchen and Santana, have set the right example. This can be a fun year.