An idea for the fifth starter

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

iabucco

Post by iabucco »

7D585B5B4E6558505245370 wrote: I'm not a fan of skipping the fifth starter early in the year due to off days.  I think you need to take advantage of the off days for the added rest, and that it will pay off in the long run.  But, clearly, no one has grabbed the fifth starter's spot by the horns.  So, what would you guys think of this proposal (admittedly, I'm stealing this from someone at BD...don't know whom,  but want to give credit where credit is due).

Teams piggy back starters all the time in the minors and in ST.  What if Glasnow and Brault piggy-backed?  You start the year planning to have TG get through four innings, and then giving way to SB, regardless of whether or not TG is throwing lights out that day.  This would limit a team's ability to stack a bunch of lefties against him, as they would know that a lefty is coming in in the fifth inning regardless.

The down side would be that it would shrink your bullpen, since you'd effectively have six starters, but that would seem to be mitigated by the fact that the bullpen should get a rest on Glasnow/Brault days, as well as the next day (Cole).

This idea would give us a pitching staff of the following:

Cole

Taillon

Nova

Kuhl

Glasnow/Brault

Nicasio

Bastardo

Hudson

Rivero

Watson

With one open spot for Schugel, Hughes, Webb, Light, LeBlanc, Hutchison, Williams, whomever.

Thoughts?
Interesting thought with logic behind it. To take it a step further; I have always wondered/fantasized if a team were to use a new pitcher every inning what would the outcome be. No starters or relievers. You would have 3 pitchers a game that would either be rested or used if there were extra innings. The 9 pitchers would be rotated on a daily basis. In theory, the pitcher would be able to go all out for one inning; and would only pitch about 120 innings a year saving wear and tear on the arm. The opposing team would see a new pitcher each inning which would be difficult to adjust to.

It will never happen because you would need the entire pitching staff to buy in as a team; which means historical stats would be out the window and that would disrupt the salary scale.

Interesting idea but it would mean that your best pitcher would pitch roughly the same amount as your number 9 pitcher. We kind of get a look at that mentality in the all star game.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

0017013620202C430 wrote: Unfortunately it's going to be Hutchson. I don't think there's any doubt.

I disagree.  I guess we'll have to wait and see, but I just don't see any way that they can put Hutchison in the rotation.  ...  And I just don't see the precedent with this FO of pushing a bad decision because of public perception.  ...

Other examples...they didn't stick with Niese.  They didn't stick with Jonathan Sanchez.  They didn't stick with Jose Tabata in order to justify the Xavier Nady trade.

Bottom line...I'm more than happy to give the FO the benefit of the doubt here.  They haven't shown a propensity of giving a guy a spot just to justify an unpopular trade, and they have shown a propensity for seeing something that is there when we the fans don't see it.

I'll still be surprised if the 5th starter isn't Brault.

They also gave a shot to all (almost all?) of the guys they didn't eventually stick with.  Hutchison is going to get his shot too at the start of the year so they can keep the extra year of control on Glasnow.

Right. All (certainly most) of those acquired players were given a relatively extended opportunity.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

282023140227000F610 wrote: Unfortunately it's going to be Hutchson. I don't think there's any doubt.

Brault sent down.

Williams or Hutchison????

Hutchison.
mouse

Post by mouse »

I would have thought that as well, but he sure seems determined to get to Indianapolis from what I've seen tonight.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

393B212731540 wrote: I would have thought that as well, but he sure seems determined to get to Indianapolis from what I've seen tonight.

A prediction...Hutchison goes on the DL tomorrow. Brault is recalled from Indy.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

Can it at least be admitted right now that if Hutchison gets the #5 spot, he's completely on scholarship?

Has to be Williams right? Glasnow will lose 2023 under team control if he comes up before June. And 2023 looks like it's going to be our year, so wouldn't want to screw that up.

Even the FO isn't able to stomach the embarrassment of Hutchison making this team now... Right?
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

4A4241766045626D030 wrote: I would have thought that as well, but he sure seems determined to get to Indianapolis from what I've seen tonight.

A prediction...Hutchison goes on the DL tomorrow.  Brault is recalled from Indy.
'won't happen tomorrow but might by opening day.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Yea there is no way they can justify him getting that 5th spot in the rotation after his last two performances. Especially after this start tonight. He has looked absolutely horrific out there. No team that is serious about winning like the Pirates say they are time and time again would put a guy like him in the rotation.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

515640484651161A63444E424A4F0D404C4E230 wrote: Unfortunately it's going to be Hutchson. I don't think there's any doubt.

Brault sent down.

Williams or Hutchison????

Hutchison.

I'm not a big fan of Williams but he seems like a better alternative to the perennially awful Hutchison (considering his career in Toronto and his ST as a Pirate). I fully expect Hutchison to get the scholarship in order to justify NH's excuse that they traded Liriano and 2 top prospects because they just wanted Hutchison so darned bad (and oh by the way, it was nice to unload Liriano's contract). But I'm still holding out hope I'm wrong. The logical decision was Brault or Williams with Hutchison going to the bullpen. Or if Hutchison was handed the job, Williams could go to the pen. Brault would not go to the bullpen as another LHP was the last thing that bullpen needs. So it still could be Williams starting. I'm doubtful but still hopeful.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

785F4E4A4F526D594E4F4F522B0 wrote: Yea there is no way they can justify him getting that 5th spot in the rotation after his last two performances. Especially after this start tonight. He has looked absolutely horrific out there. No team that is serious about winning like the Pirates say they are time and time again would put a guy like him in the rotation.
If he's the 5th starter then it is obvious NH isn't concerned about wining the division, he's only interested in trying to prove he didn't screw up. Starting this dud will prove he doesn't know what he's doing, plain and simple. Wish I could get paid hundreds of thousand of dollars and not be held responsible for monumental screw ups like this.