Trade Deadline Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

IABucFan

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by IABucFan »

003D232E212B20022A3D2C2A2B4F0 wrote: I'm getting more concerned about the Cubs than the Brewers.

Agreed. I still think they have some pitching issues, though Quinstana helps. Unfortunately, they are getting hot. We have seven games left with them, four at home. I kind of feel like at worst we need to go 3-4 in those games, but 4-3 would obviously be better.
OrlandoMerced

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by OrlandoMerced »

70424E4E5A684B424F4A4542230 wrote: I guess I'd ask how much you'd be willing to pay in order to be either the worst team to sneak into the playoffs or the best team to just barely miss.  A lot, I suppose.  I still wouldn't surrender much at the cost of next year, though. 

Still there should be a few places where we can strengthen that shouldn't cost that much. 

I don't see buying at the deadline as an option. Plus, would they really want to pay the price for an upgrade? Kuhl and Williams have been sub 4 ERA pitchers since the end of may and have solidified the back end of the rotation behind the big three.

And the bullpen has basically been lights out since they removed Watson from the closer role. Hudson has been great since the beginning of May, Schugel and Martinez seem competent spare parts as well.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

6C514F424D474C6E4651404647230 wrote: I'm getting more concerned about the Cubs than the Brewers.

That said, worst case scenario for standing pat is that they wouldn't get a return for watson and nicasio.  But looking at those two trades that were made yesterday for rentals, might as well just keep them and try to make the playoffs this year.  The White Sox, who had been shrewd dealers, gave up their two remaining trade chips for one good pitching prospect.  The Tigers traded the best hitter on the market for a group of meh guys.  That would lead me to believe that the two Pirate relievers would not fetch much as rentals.

The Pirates should do both, get a rental and a piece. I liked what the Pirates did last year trading for Nova and Rivero. Rivero was a long term piece and Nova was a rental. Nova was resigned.

The Pirates can do that again. Watson will not be resigned. Why not trade for a younger, wilder bullpen arm? A team might not trust that player down the stretch, but can work out things like Rivero did. Then add a player for now and see what happens.

I think the Pirates have some guys who can be moved to help the team: Freese/Jaso, Watson, Nicasio. Not sure I am ready to trade Harrison, he is a starting position player.
OrlandoMerced

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by OrlandoMerced »

I'm pretty that Rivero type deal is not going to be there for the Pirates. If NH starts asking for one of their young erratic flame throwers, they're going to probably to take that info and try and see what they have in the guy as opposed to sending him to the Pirates.
Tintin

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by Tintin »

I propose that we go full Burnett on Verlander.

He's owed 68 million thru 2019.

So I propose that we send the Oddy and Hinsz for Verlander and 43 million dollars.

We are on the hook for 5 million in 17, and 10 million in 18 and 19. He slides into the rotation and Kuhl becomes the long man.

We add a starter that can be dealt if necessary, as well as one with upside that Ray can work with, and the wives section at PNC gets an upgrade.

The Tigers get rid of 25 million in future obligations and add a couple of lottery tickets.

OrlandoMerced

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by OrlandoMerced »

Tigers have been unwilling to eat any money on a Verlander trade.
SammyKhalifa

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by SammyKhalifa »

They'll have to give on that eventually if they want to move him.
dave3BA

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by dave3BA »

774A5459565C57755D4A5B5D5C380 wrote: I'm getting more concerned about the Cubs than the Brewers.

That said, worst case scenario for standing pat is that they wouldn't get a return for watson and nicasio.  But looking at those two trades that were made yesterday for rentals, might as well just keep them and try to make the playoffs this year.  The White Sox, who had been shrewd dealers, gave up their two remaining trade chips for one good pitching prospect.  The Tigers traded the best hitter on the market for a group of meh guys.  That would lead me to believe that the two Pirate relievers would not fetch much as rentals.

Blake Rutherford, a 2016 1st round outfielder was acquired in that deal. He is a consensus top 100 prospect. They also obtained a pitcher who is pretty highly thought of. So not as bad as you suggest.

Also, I saw a report the other day that the Tigers are willing to eat some contract in a Verlander deal.
Tintin

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by Tintin »

58657B767973785A7265747273170 wrote: Tigers have been unwilling to eat any money on a Verlander trade.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/07/ ... -cash.html

Their stance may have changed. Verlander is unmovable at this point.
Tintin

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by Tintin »

06031407512023620 wrote: I'm getting more concerned about the Cubs than the Brewers.

Blake Rutherford, a 2016 1st round outfielder was acquired in that deal. He is a consensus top 100 prospect. They also obtained a pitcher who is pretty highly thought of. So not as bad as you suggest.

Also, I saw a report the other day that the Tigers are willing to eat some contract in a Verlander deal.

They also got Tito Polo.