Rumors

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

mouse

Rumors

Post by mouse »

I look on this as a positive sign. If this team is going to win games next year, the pitching will have to be its strength. I don't see the team spending money to get good-hitting position players. For pitching, defense is critical. The less batters a pitcher sees, the less chance for terrible things to happen. Whether Ahmed is the guy or someone else, I just feel more comfortable with someone who has played the position and has shown some defensive ability. Newman and Gonzalez may prove to be the answer - there's just so much uncertainty there that it would be foolish not to at least make an effort to grab someone who brings strengths to the team.
CarolinaBucco

Rumors

Post by CarolinaBucco »

I wish NH would stop saying things like this:

Huntington: "If something better comes along, we’ll entertain it. But between [Kevin Newman and Erik Gonzalez], we like where we’re going at shortstop."

That CANNOT be the plan. That can only be the plan if he also says publicly: "Our goal is to finish in 4th or 5th place and we think that SS combo is appropriate for a team with those type of bottom-feeding aspirations."

PLEASE Neal just go out and spend a few dollars and sign someone like Hechavarria! If you're going to go with guys like Newman/Gonzalez who can't hit, then at least sign a PROVEN MLV veteran who can't hit but who can provide Gold Glove caliber defense.

This is classic Pirates ...

"We like where we are at SS ..."

"We like where we are in RF ... "

"We like where we are with our pitching depth ..."

We always settle and take the easy, cheap way out.
notes34

Rumors

Post by notes34 »

6F4A49495C774A424057250 wrote: Does Ahmed make this team better??

The answer is no!

I’ll pass
Oh he makes the Pirates better, just with his defense. If he can duplicate what he did last year offensively I would be fine with him.
Quail

Rumors

Post by Quail »

36372C3D2B6B6C580 wrote: Does Ahmed make this team better??

The answer is no!

I’ll pass
Oh he makes the Pirates better, just with his defense. If he can duplicate what he did last year offensively I would be fine with him.

Agreed. His defense would be a big positive for a team like the Pirates who will go as far as their pitching will take them. I have some doubts that he'll be able to repeat his power output from last year, and given that the Pirates will have to part with assets to get him, I'd prefer signing a free agent such as Hechavarria who would also provide plus defense.
DemDog

Rumors

Post by DemDog »

I found it.  Whatever you did Sammy don't do it again! ;D

Sending a PM to tell you what I did.
SammyKhalifa

Rumors

Post by SammyKhalifa »

hmm, thanks.
CarolinaBucco

Rumors

Post by CarolinaBucco »

One more thing regarding a SS:

I think we should sign a SS instead of trading for one.

I feel like we gave up so much for Archer, I'm terrified of what we would send back for Ahmed.

Would much rather just sign someone like Hechevarria at no cost in terms of losing personnel.
BucsFaninGA

Rumors

Post by BucsFaninGA »

We need a reliable defensive player to play SS and his hitting would be a plus. Eager to see what Neal can acquire. I know we all have a jaded opinion of Neal, but maybe he is living right, getting plenty of rest and we are going to get a good player to send out there to play SS and make our infield better. Toes, fingers crossed Beat'em Bucs 8-)
Osushawn

Rumors

Post by Osushawn »

Tulo got released by Jays. I know he didn’t play last year,but any chance buccos take a flyer on him?
PMike

Rumors

Post by PMike »

I wasn't a fan of Gonzalez or that trade. I'm in the camp that thinks they should have signed Hechavarria. However, either of those guys are the back up for Newman...and rightfully so. Newman needs to be the starter on this team. He'll be 25 this year and he was a first round draft pick who has been solid in the minors. He needs to be given a long look this year. There is no reason to keep him in the minors any longer.