Pirates sign 17 yo Australian CF

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

John Dreker at PiratesProspects has said in a comment today that Jesse Sanchez of MLB is reporting that he got $594K to sign.  Still a senior in HS so he will probably not play until next year. He got all the rest of their international signing pool.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

414443454D475E434A595F522B0 wrote: John Dreker at PiratesProspects has said in a comment today that Jesse Sanchez of MLB is reporting that he got $594K to sign.  Still a senior in HS so he will probably not play until next year.  He got all the rest of their international signing pool.

That's almost 900k in Australian dollars. Sure beats the high school job I had driving the kids train at the mall.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

063438382C1E3D34393C3334550 wrote: John Dreker at PiratesProspects has said in a comment today that Jesse Sanchez of MLB is reporting that he got $594K to sign.  Still a senior in HS so he will probably not play until next year.  He got all the rest of their international signing pool.

That's almost 900k in Australian dollars.  Sure beats the high school job I had driving the kids train at the mall.

Sure, but you successfully parlayed your HS job into a lucrative position as an OBN moderator. I'll bet the Australian kid never does that.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

10222E2E3A082B222F2A2522430 wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzJYiQzFjFo

Has a canon arm in RF

well he's Australian, hope it doesn't come back and hit him in the face

Aww Sammy you can do better than that as far as a joke goes! ;D
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

4A46471C151C14191E011B2C0 wrote: This is a very young player, but you hope the scouts can see the future potential, and the staff can develop him into a top MLB player. It is several years away, but if the Pirates select Austin Hendrick the high school player from the Pittsburgh area in the upcoming June Draft they would possibly have  two very young position players to build around.

I saw Hendrick play last year.  He has the body of a 22 year old already.  Terrific arm, runs like a deer, and swings the bat like few high schoolers can.
Hendrick is projected to go seventh in the draft, and that is the position the Bucs hold this June. He is supposed to be the best HS player in the draft. If he is the player they project,I hope the Pirates get the opportunity to select him.

I only saw him play once, and I'm no scout, but I wouldn't be disappointed if the Pirates took him.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

16373F163D35520 wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzJYiQzFjFo

Has a canon arm in RF

Aww Sammy you can do better than that as far as a joke goes!   ;D

Hey now, even Babe Ruth struck out a third of the time. :D
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

5D6F63637745666F6267686F0E0 wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzJYiQzFjFo

Has a canon arm in RF

Hey now, even Babe Ruth struck out a third of the time.  :D

I know you were kidding, but it got me to look up how often Ruth did strikeout. Turns out it was 15.8%. He did lead league in striking out 5 seasons (one with total of 58)
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

6C4A4B5C4A5A290 wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzJYiQzFjFo

Has a canon arm in RF

I know you were kidding, but it got me to look up how often Ruth did strikeout.  Turns out it was 15.8%.  He did lead league in striking out 5 seasons (one with total of 58)

Yeah I guess I didn't it was that low though. Just goes to show how much people hated to strike out back then but are fine with it now. Probably also why games are longer, despite all the MLB attempts to shave off five seconds from a commercial break and such.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

7E4C40405466454C41444B4C2D0 wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzJYiQzFjFo

Has a canon arm in RF

I know you were kidding, but it got me to look up how often Ruth did strikeout.  Turns out it was 15.8%.  He did lead league in striking out 5 seasons (one with total of 58)

Yeah I guess I didn't it was that low though.  Just goes to show how much people hated to strike out back then but are fine with it now.  Probably also why games are longer, despite all the MLB attempts to shave off five seconds from a commercial break and such.
I think pitchers in Ruth's day generally threw softer than today. Walter Johnson was a freak for his time and would be one of the fastest by today's standards. I'm sure there were others. But batters today routinely see 95-100 mph. In Ruth's day it happened but was the exception rather than the rule. I guess it was just easier to put the ball in play. As late as the 1940s and 50s, Bob Feller stood out because he threw 98-100. Today he would just be one of the many pitchers throwing that fast. In 1960 the NL team average for striking out was 853. the champions Bucs were best with just 747. Last season the NL team average for striking out was 1,427. The Pirates were best with "only" 1,213. Babe Ruth led MLB in Ks 4 times (and the AL 5 times) but never topped 93. Of course they now play more games but last year 178 MLB batters struck out more than 93 times.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

694449585F4E59191A2B0 wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzJYiQzFjFo

Has a canon arm in RF

Yeah I guess I didn't it was that low though.  Just goes to show how much people hated to strike out back then but are fine with it now.  Probably also why games are longer, despite all the MLB attempts to shave off five seconds from a commercial break and such.
I think pitchers in Ruth's day generally threw softer than today. Walter Johnson was a freak for his time and would be one of the fastest by today's standards. I'm sure there were others. But batters today routinely see 95-100 mph. In Ruth's day it happened but was the exception rather than the rule. I guess it was just easier to put the ball in play. As late as the 1940s and 50s, Bob Feller stood out because he threw 98-100. Today he would just be one of the many pitchers throwing that fast. In 1960 the NL team average for striking out was 853. the champions Bucs were best with just 747. Last season the NL team average for striking out was 1,427. The Pirates were best with "only" 1,213. Babe Ruth led MLB in Ks 4 times (and the AL 5 times) but never topped 93. Of course they now play more games but last year 178 MLB batters struck out more than 93 times.   

Sadly, it's become an all-or-nothing game with regard to the hitters. For many hitters, the only goal is to hit a HR, and if they strike out, they don't seem to care. The number of balls put in play now, I think, is way down over past generations, which makes the games far less exciting for me. I love watching defenses work as runners move around the bases. HRs are boring because nothing happens. It's like watching basketball players shoot free throws.