Cutch Coming Home

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

MaineBucs

Cutch Coming Home

Post by MaineBucs »

Deal is for $5 million, or the same amount we paid for Hedges.

Question --- If Cutch is having a decent season through mid-July, and the Pirates are not doing well, would you trade him away from Pittsburgh a second time?

Similarly, if he tanks, would you release him?
GreenWeenie

Cutch Coming Home

Post by GreenWeenie »

I'm neither a nostalgist nor a fanboy. I care about winning- in 2023.

I fully support this and I commend all involved for it.

He has his role, and I think he helps the club on the field.
JollyRoger

Cutch Coming Home

Post by JollyRoger »

This is probably the best news a Pirate fan has had in years.

He may no longer be an All Star but he is still better than some of the scrubs still on the team. He was the face of the franchise and hopefully he gets to retire as a Pirate.

Now let’s trade BR to the Rangers for a pitching haul and go get Crews as the #1 draft pick. I’m starting to think the Bucs may have a lengthy window of contention in 2 years
JollyRoger

Cutch Coming Home

Post by JollyRoger »

0A262E292205322434470 wrote: Deal is for $5 million, or the same amount we paid for Hedges.

Question --- If Cutch is having a decent season through mid-July, and the Pirates are not doing well, would you trade him away from Pittsburgh a second time?

NO and NO

He deserves to be treated with dignity just as he represented the Franchise for his 9 years
Ecbucs

Cutch Coming Home

Post by Ecbucs »

7A5F5C5C49625F575542300 wrote: Deal is for $5 million, or the same amount we paid for Hedges.

NO and NO

He deserves to be treated with dignity just as he represented the Franchise for his 9 years

I think he only gets traded if he says he wants to go. I remember being a little shocked when Bucs traded ElRoy Face. I think they had him pitch in a game to set appearance record for the NL league. Perhaps it was to give him a chance to be in another World Series.
fjk090852-7

Cutch Coming Home

Post by fjk090852-7 »

715457574269545C5E493B0 wrote: This is probably the best news a Pirate fan has had in years.

He may no longer be an All Star but he is still better than some of the scrubs still on the team. He was the face of the franchise and hopefully he gets to retire as a Pirate.

Now let’s trade BR to the Rangers for a pitching haul and go get Crews as the #1 draft pick. I’m starting to think the Bucs may have a lengthy window of contention in 2 years
You are right this is the best news for Pirates fans for several years. Jason Mackey reports that there is no link between the signing and a trade of Reynolds, but I am not sure about that. There are a ton of outfielders on the roster right now. It would seem something is going to happen to eliminate an outfielder or two.
maher.timothy20@gm

Cutch Coming Home

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

It's a great PR move, it's moderately good on the field to have a solid backup outfielder/DH, he'll be a great role model to the younger players, plus the adulation he'll get will show the younger player what it could be like.

I may be delusional but I think the lack of movement on BR means there's still a chance the Pirate can resign him. Maybe they were on the outs a month ago but people can change their minds. Possibly even Bob will see the long-term financial upside of keeping your best player.
IABucFan

Cutch Coming Home

Post by IABucFan »

I'm still angry with MLB for all the rules changes. I doubt I'll ever let that go. But I think I'll watch opening day now. I love this. I love Andrew McCutchen and everything he represents. Next time somebody tells you Pittsburgh's not a baseball town, show them highlights of his walkoff HR against St. Louis in the 14th inning in 2015 in the middle of a pennant race.
SyrBucco

Cutch Coming Home

Post by SyrBucco »

I love this move, but I'm waiting for another shoe to drop, and I hope it's not one of Reynolds' shoes!

In another thread I recently detailed our starting lineup vs. lefty pitching. Gotta throw that out! Also need to figure out who will be taken off the 40-man, and who won't be on the 26-man as a result of this acquisition.

I am shocked by this move, and worried about who we'll lose as a result. Yet I still love it!
steve49

Cutch Coming Home

Post by steve49 »

230E03121504135350610 wrote: Interesting. I suspect this is a precursor to a Reynolds trade. Otherwise, they are letting a declining 36-year old block one of their OF prospects for 1 year in a season when they will not be competitive and need to give playing time to younger guys. The DH spot is already crowded between Choi, Santana and Andujar. But if Cutch replaces Reynolds, he doesn't block anyone else.

Totally agree with you.