Trade Cutch and Prospect to Tampa Bay for SP

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

What does the board think of dealing McCutchen to Tampa Bay for SP? Tampa Bay certainly seems to have an arm they are willing to part with...Cutch and a prospect for a DRay?

What do you all think?

Beat'em Bucs 8-)
BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Tampa Bay Rotation

R) Alex Cobb returning from TJ

R) Chris Archer

R) Jake Ordozzi

R) Matt Andriese

L) Drew Smyly

L) Blake Snell
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Tough call. He is only a season removed from being a great player and face of the league.

I just don't think the Pirates have a replacement ready if they deal him. It would also be selling low. Throwing in a prospect too? That could be tough. I'm on the fence.
BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

I hear you Dog. I agree not an easy call. One of my favorite players, but a guy who could bring us starting pitcher. If the deal were done, I would sign a guy to rotate in the of spot vacated as I imagine they would move Polanco to CF and play new player in RF. Don't know if Josh Bell can play the OF well enough to man it for now. Maybe sign Matt Joyce or Rodriquez again to spell Bell when he is not rotating at 1B.

Bucs have to do something...Sitting pat and doing nothing will guarantee us a seat at the back of the room next October as well. And don't get me wrong, I am a big Cutch Fan. But they won't resign him. Marte and Polanco are younger...Meadows in the wings eventually...Just trying to think outside the box... Whether Huntington would have the confidence to pull off such a move is another matter.

Beat'em Bucs

Bucs Fan in GA  :D
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

I just don't see how we can trade Andrew McCutchen. And, I say this as a poster who even before his down year was saying that I didn't think we should resign him. A year ago, there was a lot of hand-wringing over whether or not we should offer him a five-year extension, have him play out his career as a Pirate, and build a statue of him outside PNC Park.

Personally, I think McCutchen has seen his best days. But, I don't think last year is indicative of what he will be going forward.

Also, I'm not sure what incentive Tampa Bay would have in this deal. They are kind of in rebuild mode as well. I can't see them looking for a past-his-prime center fielder any more than we are, probably less so, as I still think we can be competitive next year. I don't see it for TB.

How about dealing Meadows?

Too bad we didn't deal Cole to the Dodgers last year for Seager and Urias! ;D
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

7A7271465075525D330 wrote: I just don't see how we can trade Andrew McCutchen.  And, I say this as a poster who even before his down year was saying that I didn't think we should resign him.  A year ago, there was a lot of hand-wringing over whether or not we should offer him a five-year extension, have him play out his career as a Pirate, and build a statue of him outside PNC Park.

Personally, I think McCutchen has seen his best days.  But, I don't think last year is indicative of what he will be going forward.

Also, I'm not sure what incentive Tampa Bay would have in this deal.  They are kind of in rebuild mode as well.  I can't see them looking for a past-his-prime center fielder any more than we are, probably less so, as I still think we can be competitive next year.  I don't see it for TB.

How about dealing Meadows?

Too bad we didn't deal Cole to the Dodgers last year for Seager and Urias!  ;D

We can deal Cutch. There would be some suitors. We might not get the big huge ass return, but he would bring more as far as immediate impact or closer MLB ready guys than Meadows. Meadows is what the Pirates love ... he will be cheap labor once he gets up in the majors. Why deal him, unless you are getting back a MLB ready guy that solves a problem and is ready to make positive impact. You aren't getting that.

Pittsburgh is all about financial flexibility. Trading Cutch would fall into that. Last year might not be as indicative, but I have zero problem dealing him to be honest. If the Pirates can't put forth resources to put together a competitive team that can challenge, then what's the point of having a declining Cutch on the roster? So, you can have the face of a franchise who is on the decline? I think he rebounds from 2016, but won't be 2012-2015 Cutch.

Yes, we should have dealt Cole for that. I had head that Boston offered either Betts or Bradley for him. Unfortunately, you aren't getting high return for him either ... 45 cent on the $1.

Tampa Bay has zero incentive to trade for Cutch. They are more "financial flexible" than we are. Look at the roster absent Longoria. I'm surprised he hasn't been dealt yet.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

5661776752757A7D7A5355140 wrote: What does the board think of dealing McCutchen to Tampa Bay for SP? Tampa Bay certainly seems to have an arm they are willing to part with...Cutch and a prospect for a DRay?

What do you all think?

Beat'em Bucs 8-)

Tampa is cheaper than Pittsburgh. Do you think they trade one of those arms for a guy making three times the amount of them?
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I would rather trade some prospects for Archer. Meadows is the toughest one to trade, but I wouldn't be against trading Newman, Tucker, Hanson, Tarpley, or Diaz. Or maybe one of the guys who is about ready like Brault, Williams.

I just don't know what Tampa Bay would want. I do agree that McCutchen might be out of their price range in this stage of their rebuilding.
PMike

Post by PMike »

I agree with those who have said that Tampa wouldn't want McCutchen. He costs too much and is on the backside of their window.

I could see them being interested in Marte or Polanco (I don't like the idea of trading Polanco). Marte for Archer even up would probably be close. I'm not really interested in Odorizzi, Cobb, Andriese, or Smyly.

I do really like Snell. I think a reasonable trade would be Snell for Meadows. Both are MLB ready (nearly) and meet a place of need for both organizations.
CTBucco

Post by CTBucco »

4B40484441405B1E186F564E474040014C402F0 wrote: I would rather trade some prospects for Archer.  Meadows is the toughest one to trade, but I wouldn't be against trading Newman, Tucker, Hanson, Tarpley, or Diaz.  Or maybe one of the guys who is about ready like Brault, Williams.

I just don't know what Tampa Bay would want.  I do agree that McCutchen might be out of their price range in this stage of their rebuilding.
Tarpley is already gone in the overpay for Nova. Stupid trade. We weren't really going to contend, so NH traded prospects to appease the fan base by providing the appearance of "trying".