Pirates Claim L. Díaz

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

3pirates3

Pirates Claim L. Díaz

Post by 3pirates3 »

"Pirates claimed First Baseman Lewin Díaz from the Marlins off waivers per source." - Mish

https://twitter.com/CraigMish/status/15 ... 6857508865

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... le01.shtml
fjk090852-7

Pirates Claim L. Díaz

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Diaz has had trouble hitting in the Majors, but he is a very good fielding first baseman. If they could get him to hit, our corner infielders would be second to none.
Ecbucs

Pirates Claim L. Díaz

Post by Ecbucs »

2824257E777E767B7C63794E0 wrote: Diaz has had trouble hitting in the Majors, but he is a very good fielding first baseman. If they could get him to hit, our corner infielders would be second to none.

40 man roster is now full?
fjk090852-7

Pirates Claim L. Díaz

Post by fjk090852-7 »

032524332535460 wrote: Diaz has had trouble hitting in the Majors, but he is a very good fielding first baseman. If they could get him to hit, our corner infielders would be second to none.

40 man roster is now full?
Looked at roster and Park is no longer listed. Guess he was designated for assignment.
DemDog

Pirates Claim L. Díaz

Post by DemDog »

272B2A7178717974736C76410 wrote: Diaz has had trouble hitting in the Majors, but he is a very good fielding first baseman. If they could get him to hit, our corner infielders would be second to none.

40-man roster is now full?
Looked at roster and Park is no longer listed. Guess he was designated for assignment.

The Trib confirms that Park has been designated for assignment.
Bobster21

Pirates Claim L. Díaz

Post by Bobster21 »

Diaz is out of options.
Surgnbuck

Pirates Claim L. Díaz

Post by Surgnbuck »

I was really hoping to see an end to moves like these. I wanted to see some movement forward with quality trades, FA pickups, not dumpster dives. You pick this guy up and let Park go? Hard to see him not clearing waivers.

What do I know. I've been in GMBC's corner every step of the way. This offseason, he's starting to make me wonder. This is all two years ago.
WildwoodDave2

Pirates Claim L. Díaz

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

Bucs trade Hoy Park to the Red Sox for LH Pitcher Inmer Lobo.

He is 18 years old and just finished his pro debut in the DSL.whatever that is
Bobster21

Pirates Claim L. Díaz

Post by Bobster21 »

705651444D41564048230 wrote: I was really hoping to see an end to moves like these. I wanted to see some movement forward with quality trades, FA pickups, not dumpster dives. You pick this guy up and let Park go? Hard to see him not clearing waivers.

What do I know. I've been in GMBC's corner every step of the way. This offseason, he's starting to make me wonder. This is all two years ago.
I believe BC is just taking a flier on Diaz. If he doesn't impress in ST, he'll be waived and if he clears waivers, outrighted to AAA. What is particularly odd is that BC just obtained Choi and now adds another LH hitting 1Bman with no options. But I guess Choi could DH if Diaz works out.

But both of those moves suggest to me that BC has finally accepted that any significant payroll increase is out of the question and he must look to these types of players rather than acquiring established, productive players. When first hired, he repeated the team mantra of "We'll spend when the time is right." (Queue the laugh track.) I think he actually believed that and was probably lied to by Nutting in the hiring process. But recent comments from BC have tampered down any expectations that that could actually happen. The fact that BC oversees a team that is trying to improve each year and has an acute need at 1B and has turned to players like Choi and Diaz to fill that need suggests to me that he has given up on the idea of acquiring quality players and is resigned to aiming low and hoping to catch lightning in a bottle. BC is probably regretting signing on with Nutting.
Ecbucs

Pirates Claim L. Díaz

Post by Ecbucs »

705D50414657400003320 wrote: I was really hoping to see an end to moves like these. I wanted to see some movement forward with quality trades, FA pickups, not dumpster dives. You pick this guy up and let Park go? Hard to see him not clearing waivers.

I believe BC is just taking a flier on Diaz. If he doesn't impress in ST, he'll be waived and if he clears waivers, outrighted to AAA. What is particularly odd is that BC just obtained Choi and now adds another LH hitting 1Bman with no options. But I guess Choi could DH if Diaz works out.

But both of those moves suggest to me that BC has finally accepted that any significant payroll increase is out of the question and he must look to these types of players rather than acquiring established, productive players. When first hired, he repeated the team mantra of "We'll spend when the time is right." (Queue the laugh track.) I think he actually believed that and was probably lied to by Nutting in the hiring process. But recent comments from BC have tampered down any expectations that that could actually happen. The fact that BC oversees a team that is trying to improve each year and has an acute need at 1B and has turned to players like Choi and Diaz to fill that need suggests to me that he has given up on the idea of acquiring quality players and is resigned to aiming low and hoping to catch lightning in a bottle. BC is probably regretting signing on with Nutting. 

I think you are right about payroll. Newman had to be dealt or non-tendered in order to cover money being made by Choi. To me, it looks like the 2023 payroll isn't going to be much different than 2022 payroll.