Cherington's idiotic comments.

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Wow. Lack of talent is one thing. And I can understand they are strengthening the organization and most players being counted on for the future are a year or two away. But what has really bothered me this year is the absurd game to game decisions being made. The illogical, ludicrous and counterproductive decisions in terms of who's in the lineup (and where), when a pitcher is put in or taken out, why players need constant rest, especially when they get hot. But Cherington is absolutely delighted with those very ludicrous decisions. He's positively giddy. He sounds like he's pooping his pants with every bizarre decision being made.

“I’m really encouraged by the way we’re making decisions in terms of who’s in the lineup, when the pitcher is in the game, when the pitcher’s out of the game, the strategy,” Cherington said. “That is something … when you’re really good at that stuff, and you have lots of good players, then the strategy is amplified.”

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/pir ... 2205220053

"When you're really good at that stuff?" Good grief! They couldn't be worse! Hey, better sign Shelton to a lifetime contract if that's the type of managing Cherington drools over. If Cherington is "really encouraged by the way we're making decisions" then he's an imbecile. I have lost all faith that he knows what he's doing.

I'm glad Jason Mackey in the PG noted the irony of Cherington's comments.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

I'm not convinced at all that there's any strengthening of the organization.  That's just the sales pitch.  Nothing shows me that there's any improvement to talent evaluation or development.  These players come to MLB looking as if they're overmatched.  I can probably take the "as if they're" out.  They just are.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

I have to teach Cherington everything.

All the guy had to do was talk about 1960.  ;)
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

7C495E5E556C5E5E55525E3B0 wrote: I have to teach Cherington everything.

Or even 1979. But it gets a little murky after that.

I would've been ok with him acknowledging the problems of this team and referring to the prospects in the minors. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt while waiting for Cruz, Peguero, Davis, Priester and others. If they flame out, I'll criticize the rebuilding effort then, but not before. But when he praised the absolute worst aspect of this team, the absurd decision making at the MLB level, he lost me.

2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

I agree his comments were at the least inaccurate and at the worst disingenuous.  At this point we don’t need smoke blow up our skirts. 

Perhaps the explanation is that BC was trying to protect Shelton from the criticism he deserves if it’s Shelton making the weird, unexplainable game decisions.  If that’s the case, I’d rather he had just kept his mouth shut.  We’re not stupid.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Found missing thread.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

664B46575041561615240 wrote: I have to teach Cherington everything.

I would've been ok with him acknowledging the problems of this team and referring to the prospects in the minors. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt while waiting for Cruz, Peguero, Davis, Priester and others. If they flame out, I'll criticize the rebuilding effort then, but not before. But when he praised the absolute worst aspect of this team, the absurd decision making at the MLB level, he lost me.

You and Doc state it clearly. 

My solution began a few years ago.  I wrote the same about BOB so often.  I got so upset that I choose not to read any article or listen to any video where the man speaks or is quoted.

Nothing these guys say matters, anyway.  It's what they do
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

052825343322357576470 wrote: I have to teach Cherington everything.

I'm beyond concerned that Cherington doesn't have a clue what he's doing. This kind of statement is just more evidence that we aren't on the right path but just once again got the wrong guy in the GM position. It's amazing that the Cards will fire a manager (Mike Shildt) who never had a losing season and we keep a guy whose never had a winning season nor will ever have a winning season. Shelton wouldn't make it 2 games in a organization whose run like a business like the Cards.

Just goes to show you how bad our GM is.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

263E3C3B3B2C3D3A272630550 wrote: I have to teach Cherington everything.

I'm beyond concerned that Cherington doesn't have a clue what he's doing.   This kind of statement is just more evidence that we aren't on the right path but just once again got the wrong guy in the GM position.  It's amazing that the Cards will fire a manager (Mike Shildt) who never had a losing season and we keep a guy whose never had a winning season nor will ever have a winning season.  Shelton wouldn't make it 2 games in a organization whose run like a business like the Cards.

Just goes to show you how bad our GM is.

The community needs to give Nutting/Cherington a ultimatum. The purposely trying to tank any sports team is not acceptable and ask MLB to investigate what's gong on in the Burg. This franchise cannot survive 2 or 3 more years of this crap. Fans must rise up and let them know we're mad as hell and we're not going to take it anymore.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

You just had 24,000 fans at Saturday's game.

People vote with their A) their money. Every dollar is a vote. B) time. Every minute's a vote.

Look at how many minutes we spend here. ;)