Question Regarding Nick Burdi And Rule 5

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Nick Burdi was acquired through the Rule 5 draft when he was injured. He spent last September on the active roster, and in order for the Bucs to retain his rights I believe he needed 60 or 90 days on the active roster this year in order that the Pirates did not have to return him to Minnesota. He got hurt on April 22 so he did not complete a full month on the 25 man roster. I am going to assume that his time of the IL does not count against the days he is required to be active for the Pirates to retain his rights. If that is correct the Pirates could activate him on September 1 when the rosters expand in order that they could get another month of service time towards the Rule 5 player retainage rule. Does anyone know if the Pirates could do this in order to keep Burdi in the organization?
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think he's at risk of being lost from the organization. I suspect he will be activated for September for 30 days. He had 30 days last September and 26 days this year from 3/28-4/22, which would total 86, leaving him 4 days short of the required 90 days. But the rule, as I understand it, says a Rule 5 player must spend 90 days on the active roster before being sent to the minors. I'm not aware of a time frame in which he must accrue those 90 days. If that's the case, then it only means he would have to spend another 4 days on the roster next year before he could be sent to the minors. And I doubt he would go to the minors anyway (a rehab doesn't count). So I'm guessing he spends another September on the roster this year. They could even activate him 4 days prior to September if they are hopelessly out of competition and just be a man short (either in the BP or on the bench) for 4 days.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

0D202D3C3B2A3D7D7E4F0 wrote: Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think he's at risk of being lost from the organization. I suspect he will be activated for September for 30 days. He had 30 days last September and 26 days this year from 3/28-4/22, which would total 86, leaving him 4 days short of the required 90 days. But the rule, as I understand it, says a Rule 5 player must spend 90 days on the active roster before being sent to the minors. I'm not aware of a time frame in which he must accrue those 90 days. If that's the case, then it only means he would have to spend another 4 days on the roster next year before he could be sent to the minors. And I doubt he would go to the minors anyway (a rehab doesn't count). So I'm guessing he spends another September on the roster this year. They could even activate him 4 days prior to September if they are hopelessly out of competition and just be a man short (either in the BP or on the bench) for 4 days.

I agree with everything except for be a man short. What sane team would do that? :) :)
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

674140574151220 wrote: Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think he's at risk of being lost from the organization. I suspect he will be activated for September for 30 days. He had 30 days last September and 26 days this year from 3/28-4/22, which would total 86, leaving him 4 days short of the required 90 days. But the rule, as I understand it, says a Rule 5 player must spend 90 days on the active roster before being sent to the minors. I'm not aware of a time frame in which he must accrue those 90 days. If that's the case, then it only means he would have to spend another 4 days on the roster next year before he could be sent to the minors. And I doubt he would go to the minors anyway (a rehab doesn't count). So I'm guessing he spends another September on the roster this year. They could even activate him 4 days prior to September if they are hopelessly out of competition and just be a man short (either in the BP or on the bench) for 4 days.

I agree with everything except for be a man short.  What sane team would do that? :) :)

Thanks guys for the response. I like Burdi, and if he is healthy he is a valuable piece for the bullpen. He was impressive during the first weeks of the season, and I would hate to lose him.
TBird

Post by TBird »

Ok I remember him hurting his arm.. But I don't recall what injury occurred . Can someone fill me in on this? TIA.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

697F544F593D0 wrote: Ok I remember him hurting his arm..  But I don't recall what injury occurred . Can someone fill me in on this? TIA.
Here's the video.

TBird

Post by TBird »

I saw the injury on tv when it happened. But what injury was it? broken arm or some sort of muscle injury is what I am asking about.. Sorry about the confusion
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

13052E3523470 wrote: I saw the injury on tv when it happened. But what injury was it? broken arm or some sort of muscle injury is what I am asking about.. Sorry about the confusion

I believe they reported it is a nerve injury in his pitching arm. It looked very bad when it happened, but it was not as severe as it was expected at that time.