Frank Coonelly Leaving?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BenM

Frank Coonelly Leaving?

Post by BenM »

From DK Sports

I don't believe Frank Coonelly will be the Pirates' team president much longer. I'm hearing that he's preparing for a move back to the commissioner's office to work with one-time-colleague-now-actual-commissioner Rob Manfred toward a new labor agreement.

If this is true and Nutting is aware of it, he needs to shut down the manager search and figure out if he wants to totally clean house. Let the new president build the organization as he sees fit.
Bobster21

Frank Coonelly Leaving?

Post by Bobster21 »

684F44672A0 wrote: From DK Sports

I don't believe Frank Coonelly will be the Pirates' team president much longer. I'm hearing that he's preparing for a move back to the commissioner's office to work with one-time-colleague-now-actual-commissioner Rob Manfred toward a new labor agreement.

If this is true and Nutting is aware of it, he needs to shut down the manager search and figure out if he wants to totally clean house. Let the new president build the organization as he sees fit.
I haven't heard anything but I hope it's true. Coonelly is a lawyer. He knows about as much about baseball as Nutting. They need baseball people in charge.
DemDog

Frank Coonelly Leaving?

Post by DemDog »

Holy Crap! The Pirates are in a place to totally retool if this is true. But will Nutting be willing to can NH if a new President wants his own man at the helm? This will be an interesting topic to follow.
fjk090852-7

Frank Coonelly Leaving?

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Wow if Frank C. leaves it will be a very interesting offseason. There could end up being multiple front office changes, as well as the manager and coaches.
BenM

Frank Coonelly Leaving?

Post by BenM »

That sentence is still the only mention I can find of Coonelly potentially leaving the team.

I wonder if DK got this one wrong.
fjk090852-7

Frank Coonelly Leaving?

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Possibly if Frank is leaving, maybe Sam Fuld would wish to interview for the President position since he has declined to interview as a field manager. He could be the type of President to restructure the organization.
NJBucsFan

Frank Coonelly Leaving?

Post by NJBucsFan »

Yes indeed, confirmed by the P-G.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/pir ... 1910220180

General Manager Neal Huntington is safe, and the club will name Coonelly’s replacement next Monday, adds Jon Heyman of MLB Network

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/11 ... 0483854339
BenM

Frank Coonelly Leaving?

Post by BenM »

4B6C6744090 wrote: That sentence is still the only mention I can find of Coonelly potentially leaving the team.

I wonder if DK got this one wrong.

Nope. He got it right. The FAN is reporting that he has departed the team.

It's time to for Nutting to stop everything. Letting Neal hire the next manager while you are trying to find his next boss is a recipe for disaster.
mouse

Frank Coonelly Leaving?

Post by mouse »

If they are naming the guy next Monday, it sounds as though everything is done. The fix is in, as they like to say. If Huntington is staying, he's likely gotten a green-light to proceed.
Ecbucs

Frank Coonelly Leaving?

Post by Ecbucs »

4C4E545244210 wrote: If they are naming the guy next Monday, it sounds as though everything is done. The fix is in, as they like to say. If Huntington is staying, he's likely gotten a green-light to proceed.

My guess is that NH is in charge of all baseball operations and the President is only involved in business side. NH will be given budget from Nutting and President.

Doesn't look like organization is going to step forward. With the pitching we have for next year barring real rebounds from Williams and Archer, the Bucs will be lucky to sniff 75 wins and could be in the 60's.