Reynolds CF

Hayes 3rd

Yoshi 1st

Gamel LF

VanMeter 2nd

Tucker RF

Perez C

Newman SS

Tucker has now started 6 games in a row counting tonight and 7 of the last 8 games and is 3 for his last 16 since his 3 hit game last Thursday. Why does VanMeter need to play over Castillo or Chavis when he just started on Sunday and is 1 for 10 to start the year. These lineup switches constantly game after game are ridiculous and there is no logical explanation for them what so ever and it needs to stop period.
Surgnbuck

Game Thread Bucs@Brewers 4/19…

Post by Surgnbuck »

Let's Go Bucs!
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I'm guessing that HBP to the shin is keeping Castillo out of the lineup. Those things usually swell up and get worse after the game. OTOH Shelton often "rewards" a good game by putting the player on the bench the next day. But I'm gonna give Shelton the benefit of the doubt and assume Castillo is not starting because of the HBP. Not that the clueless Shelton has earned any trust. But that HBP had to hurt.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

A thought or two about the line-ups.

1) It is now April 19. In the next 10 days, the Pirates need to determine which pitcher (now have 14 and can carry a maximum of 13 pitchers), and which position player should be sent to the minors or released. At present, Park seems like the odd man out because he isn't playing much, but perhaps, just perhaps, they are giving Tucker an extended run to see if he should remain or be axed. With respect to the pitchers, Contreras (fairly or unfairly) seems like the one who will be sent down so he can regularly start games.

2) Shelton appears to operate from the approach that if a player is one the roster, he should get time in the starting line-up. I can't figure there is any other reason that VanMeter would again be getting a starting nod at 2nd, and batting 6th (Although the players batting 7th - 9th are no great shakes at the plate).

3) Vogelbach again hitting first must be an outgrowth of the Bucs analytic Department. Personally, I don't like players hitting at the top of the line-up who clog up the bases (assuming that they get on base now and then). I also would much rather see Vogelbach in the 5 hole and Gamel betting lead-off.

4) Going to be a challenge to score against Burns tonight. This game could get ugly really fast.

But, there is always a chance. Being 6-5 sure sounds and feels a lot better than being 5-6.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I think Tucker’s time with the Club is becoming short. The strikeouts are becoming more frequent, and if he doesn’t put it together soon he should be the odd man out on May 1 when the roster returns to 26 players.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

7E525A5D5671465040330 wrote: A thought or two about the line-ups.

1)  It is now April 19.  In the next 10 days, the Pirates need to determine which pitcher (now have 14 and can carry a maximum of 13 pitchers), and which position player should be sent to the minors or released.   At present, Park seems like the odd man out because he isn't playing much, but perhaps, just perhaps, they are giving Tucker an extended run to see if he should remain or be axed.  With respect to the pitchers, Contreras (fairly or unfairly) seems like the one who will be sent down so he can regularly start games. 

2) Shelton appears to operate from the approach that if a player is one the roster, he should get time in the starting line-up.  I can't figure there is any other reason that VanMeter would again be getting a starting nod at 2nd, and batting 6th (Although the players batting 7th - 9th are no great shakes at the plate).

3)  Vogelbach again hitting first must be an outgrowth of the Bucs analytic Department.   Personally, I don't like players hitting at the top of the line-up who clog up the bases (assuming that they get on base now and then).   I also would much rather see Vogelbach in the 5 hole and Gamel betting lead-off.

4)  Going to be a challenge to score against Burns tonight.   This game could get ugly really fast. 

But, there is always a chance.   Being 6-5 sure sounds and feels a lot better than being 5-6.
My best guess is that Tucker is being given the chance to save his roster spot and is failing. I can't imagine any other reason for his repeated presence in the lineup. His best case scenario is a weak hitting, good glove middle infielder. As a corner OFer, he's a joke. But at least it gets him 4 ABs per game and they seem to want to see what he does with them.

I read an article in the Trib recently that said Shelton was expected to keep the players happy. That seems to be his priority rather than winning. So everybody plays regardless of the strength or weakness of the lineup. I can imagine the discussions with BC when Shelton was hired. He had to have been told he was to oversee a rebuild as opposed to winning. His lineups often indicate a complete disregard for winning. But he very possibly realizes that if he shows a distinct effort to win and fails, it will compromise his job security whereas if he just plays everyone and keeps the players happy regardless of the outcome, he will be seen as doing his job up to expectations.

I agree that the Vogelbach at #1 is analytics driven. The Pirates always want to be the smartest ones in the room to compensate for the lack of talent. The problem here is that the lack of a power bat to protect Yoshi (0 HRs) is a bigger problem than the leadoff spot. There are others who could do a serviceable job leading off but no one else with Vogelbach's power to hit behind Yoshi. Maybe that's the outcome of relying on math wizards instead of baseball people to determine the lineup.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

I agree on Tucker. Either hope he recovers or allow other clubs to consider a reclamation process.

I dont think that the priority is winning, so what difference does playing time mean? It's not an issue to me, so I don't get upset by it.

They have their reasons, but winning baseball games is probably not among them. If it was, they'd have better players to choose from.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

I'll go on record: I don't like Brubaker (Boo Maker) one bit.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

784D5A5A51685A5A51565A3F0 wrote: I'll go on record:  I don't like Brubaker (Boo Maker) one bit.
He's a AAAA. He should be minor league depth. On the Pirates he's the opening day starter. :(
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Has to improve to be no good.