Next 22 games...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SteadyFreddy

Next 22 games...

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Will consist of 7 games with the Brewers both  home and away, 7 games with the Braves both home and away, 3 at Miami against the Marlins 2 at home with the Tigers and 3 at home with the Padres. The next 14 straight games are against both the Brewers and the Braves the 2 teams currently leading the wildcard race. I think the Pirates need to go at least 8-6 or 7-7 in this stretch of 14 games with these two teams. They really can’t afford to do worse then that. And as for the 8 games with the Marlins, Tigers, and Padres I think the Pirates need to go 5-3 in that stretch. If they can go something like 13-9 or even 12-10 in these 22 games it will put them at either 40-36 or 39-37  76 games into the season which would take them to June 25th and 86 games remaining on the season.

Hopefully during this stretch guys like Dickerson, Kang, Kela, and Trevor Williams all are back and contributing. You just feel as if with this pitching staff as banged up as it is the season is really close to being on the brink with these next 14 games being against both the Brewers and the Braves. They have to find another way yet again to keep their heads above water and stay in this race by winning enough games in this next 14 game stretch against these two teams they are currently chasing in the standings.
Bobster21

Next 22 games...

Post by Bobster21 »

Amazing that they are ahead of St.L. at this point and close to the WC teams. Of course it's too early to get too concerned about where they stand but with all the injuries, no one would have been surprised if they were already buried. So if they can stay close until they get healthy, they have a chance.

The biggest thing going for them is Bell. He's among the league leaders is just about every category. He has 24% of the team's RBIs. He has a high BA and doesn't strike out a lot. It's been a long time since they had a stud like that in the lineup. Alvarez had power but struck out frequently and got hits infrequently (as noted by his low BAs). Bell is hitting like Stargell in his prime.
OrlandoMerced

Next 22 games...

Post by OrlandoMerced »

They need more from Archer and Musgrove in the coming games. They have somehow won games this week started by Kingham and Brault, and maybe these two are settling down to some extent and are capable of giving the team some innings until Taillon returns.

One of Newman or Reynolds should move to leadoff as they are both getting on base. Frazier needs to be moved to a part time player until he shows competence. Bring Kang or Kramer up to create some sort of rotation for the 2B and 3B spots with Frazier and Moran. Not sure what to do with Dickerson, but I'm not taking Reynolds out of the lineup right now.
SteadyFreddy

Next 22 games...

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Is calling Keller back up to start on Sunday against the Brewers still an option if Lyles can’t go and is still hurt. I’d imagine Kingham will start on Saturday, but unless they call Keller up to start on Sunday which they should do they are gonna have to go with the opener on Sunday which I really hope they don’t try and do again. These are an important 4 games this weekend against the Brewers here at home if the Pirates want to stay within striking distance of them for the wildcard and possibly pick up a few games as well. They can’t afford to be giving a game away by starting someone like they did with Feliz last week or whoever else. These games are too important.
SCBucco

Next 22 games...

Post by SCBucco »

684F5E5A5F427D495E5F5F423B0 wrote: Is calling Keller back up to start on Sunday against the Brewers still an option if Lyles can’t go and is still hurt. I’d imagine Kingham will start on Saturday, but unless they call Keller up to start on Sunday which they should do they are gonna have to go with the opener on Sunday which I really hope they don’t try and do again. These are an important 4 games this weekend against the Brewers here at home if the Pirates want to stay within striking distance of them for the wildcard and possibly pick up a few games as well. They can’t afford to be giving a game away by starting someone like they did with Feliz last week or whoever else. These games are too important.

After seeing Keller get tattooed by the Reds in his MLB debut, I'm not sure bringing him back on the road versus Milwaukee is a good idea.