Eventual realignment

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Surgnbuck

Eventual realignment

Post by Surgnbuck »

There is no doubt that MLB will soon realign. I believe it will occur in this manner: Once the stadium issues or firm relocation sites are resolved in the next 2 years with Oakland and Tampa Bay, there will be swift movement in awarding two new expansion franchises. TB and Oakland both may end up moving to a locale(s) that MLB was targeting, and no doubt have 4 cities in mind already. This will bring in a huge revenue flush, because I think the expansion fees are going to be astronomical.

I feel MLB would like to try another team in the Pacific Northwest, perhaps Portland or Vancouver. No doubt Las Vegas and Charlotte are shoo in's either for relocation or expansion. I don't believe for a second Montreal is really in play, but you never know. They remind me of hockey fans waxing nostalgically about Hartford, yeah love them NOW, but no one was showing up when they were playing back in the day. Of course, Montreal was completely sabotaged, and the MLB commissioner at that time, Bud Selig, certainly was complicit in the destruction of the franchise and the subsequent relocation. so anyhow, realignment with 32 teams. Will it be 4X8, or 8X4? I think it will be 4X8, with each league having 4 division winners, and back to two WC's, but using this years kind of format, the WC's play the two lowest winning total division winners in a best of 3, the two higher winning division winners getting a bye, and dropping the third wild card. My guess based on what I'm thinking:

Div 1: NY-NY-Boston-Toronto

Div 2: Balt-Wash-Phil-Atlanta

Div 3: Flor-TB (I think they'll stay)-Hous-Tex

Div 4: Pitt-Cleve-Cincy-Det

Div 5: Chic-Chic-Milw-Minn

Div 6: KC-Stl-Colo-Charlotte (expansion)

Div 7: LA-LA-SD-AZ

Div 8: SF-Sea-LV (Oak relocation)-Portland (expansion)

I imagine some semblance of a balanced schedule will be in play, so some of the divisions aren't necessarily fantastic geographically, but it won't really matter. Miami and Seattle are pretty far flung from everyone, and Colorado and Arizona aren't exactly next door to anyone right now either.
Surgnbuck

Eventual realignment

Post by Surgnbuck »

I forgot to add, I think the leagues will be renamed, and as Conferences. I believe Divisions 1-4 will constitute one Conference, 5-8 the other.

I think the conferences will be named simply Eastern and Western. Which wouldn't be so bad, it can bring back memories of when Farmer John supplied the famous Dodger Dog, the Eastern most in freshness, and the Western most in flavor.
IABucFan

Eventual realignment

Post by IABucFan »

I still haven't watched a game. I'm so angry at what MLB has done to the game. I just have a hard time getting back. I barely know who's in the LCS. But, if I ever did come back and regain some MLB interest, one big thing I'd like to see would be doing away with the blackout restrictions. Or at least stop blacking out six teams in Iowa. If those were the divisions, I'd only be blacked out of 18 games a year, as opposed to somewhere between 54-64.

This is one reason I at least like the scheduling change. It takes away some of the Bucs blackouts. But again, I just can't get over the rules changes. How did you all do it?
2drfischer@gmail.c

Eventual realignment

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

Trying to figure out how the teams will be aligned will, of course, have to wait until it’s determined where teams might relocate, and which cities will be added.  The Pirates could end up in the same division with Cleveland, Cinci, and Detroit, or Cleveland, Cinci, and Toronto.  They’ll try to get the division teams as close to one another as possible in all of the divisions.

Putting the two NY teams in the same division will involve some great internal discussions.  Will MLB make more money by having the two play each other 12-15 times each year (and take the chance fans will become bored with it), or root hard for the teams to meet in the World Series, with all the money that would probably earn.
maher.timothy20@gm

Eventual realignment

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

I could envision them wanting the NY and LA and CHI teams in different divisions--and possibly in separate leagues. That's how I'd try to work it personally.

Western conference? Eastern conference? Hope not.

And I'd still like a division with the Pirates/Phillies/Orioles/Nationals. Phillies are obvious rivals and with the Orioles there's the WS history.

Let the Braves play the Rays/Marlins or whoever's down there in the baking slimy heat.
WildwoodDave2

Eventual realignment

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

527473666F6374626A010 wrote: There is no doubt that MLB will soon realign. I believe it will occur in this manner:  Once the stadium issues or firm relocation sites are resolved in the next 2 years with Oakland and Tampa Bay, there will be swift movement in awarding two new expansion franchises. TB and Oakland both may end up moving to a locale(s) that MLB was targeting, and no doubt have 4 cities in mind already. This will bring in a huge revenue flush, because I think the expansion fees are going to be astronomical.

I feel MLB would like to try another team in the Pacific Northwest, perhaps Portland or Vancouver. No doubt Las Vegas and Charlotte are shoo in's either for relocation or expansion. I don't believe for a second Montreal is really in play, but you never know. They remind me of hockey fans waxing nostalgically about Hartford, yeah love them NOW, but no one was showing up when they were playing back in the day. Of course, Montreal was completely sabotaged, and the MLB commissioner at that time, Bud Selig, certainly was complicit in the destruction of the franchise and the subsequent relocation. so anyhow, realignment with 32 teams. Will it be 4X8, or 8X4? I think it will be 4X8, with each league having 4 division winners, and back to two WC's, but using this years kind of format, the WC's play the two lowest winning total division winners in a best of 3, the two higher winning division winners getting a bye, and dropping the third wild card. My guess based on what I'm thinking:

Div 1: NY-NY-Boston-Toronto

Div 2: Balt-Wash-Phil-Atlanta

Div 3: Flor-TB (I think they'll stay)-Hous-Tex

Div 4: Pitt-Cleve-Cincy-Det

Div 5: Chic-Chic-Milw-Minn

Div 6: KC-Stl-Colo-Charlotte (expansion)

Div 7: LA-LA-SD-AZ

Div 8: SF-Sea-LV (Oak relocation)-Portland (expansion)

I imagine some semblance of a balanced schedule will be in play, so some of the divisions aren't necessarily fantastic geographically, but it won't really matter. Miami and Seattle are pretty far flung from everyone, and Colorado and Arizona aren't exactly next door to anyone right now either.
Regardless how it goes, it will be interesting. Definitely looking

forward to it
2drfischer@gmail.c

Eventual realignment

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

5F535A57401C465B5F5D465A4B000272555F320 wrote: I could envision them wanting the NY and LA and CHI teams in different divisions--and possibly in separate leagues. That's how I'd try to work it personally.

Western conference? Eastern conference? Hope not.

And I'd still like a division with the Pirates/Phillies/Orioles/Nationals. Phillies are obvious rivals and with the Orioles there's the WS history.

Let the Braves play the Rays/Marlins or whoever's down there in the baking slimy heat.

I agree MLB would likely separate the New York, Chicago, and LA teams, as well as SF and Oakland.

I also think the names “American” and “National” would continue to be used. The divisions might just be called North, South, East, and West if it makes sense geographically.