Marte Lost the Vote

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Marte Lost the Vote

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Marte lost the final vote. Hopefully, someone will get pulled and he can replace them. This team is too good to only have one all star. But also a good sign how the team is built from top to bottom and don't rely on one player.

Polanco got ripped off too.
MaineBucs

Marte Lost the Vote

Post by MaineBucs »

I know it is a great honor for a player to be selected to the all-star game (unless you are a Cubbie and got voted in as part of the Cubs can do no wrong fan vote).

That said, I am glad that most Pirate players will be able to enjoy a few days off with their family or even just sleeping in for a few days.

I also will not lament if Melancon is asked to pitch to only a batter or two.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Marte Lost the Vote

I really enjoy the All Star Game.  I hate that it means something, but the best vs the best.  No other major sport treats their all star game like an actual game.

It is great to see the slow-motion swings too.  Great camera angles at the ASG.  The 1994 Game is still one of the best baseball games I ever attended.

I see your point about th erest. I just like seeing the Pirates represented and not just have a token player.
SammyKhalifa

Marte Lost the Vote

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I know people like it, and good for them, but I have a really hard time caring about the ASG one way or the other. It would have been a nice honor for Starling though I guess.
DemDog

Marte Lost the Vote

Post by DemDog »

I have not regard for the ASG and all the festivities and crap. Game means nothing other than HFA for the WS. So what. My main gripe is the way the AS are selected. Fans! Holy cow pies! How quick and often can we vote? And the info you need to give to vote so some corporate sponsor can send you junk email. No way Jose.

Back in the day when I was a kid and young man the players and managers selected the AS. They are the ones who should be doing it now because they understand that being worthy of being and AS is not based on popularity but on how you produce on the field.

I do feel sorry for those guys who are worthy and get hosed by ballot box stuffing but such is life for them. At least I hope that Marte does not take someones place. He needs as does Polanco to stay home, kick back and relax and get ready for the run at the Cubs.
mouse

Marte Lost the Vote

Post by mouse »

I'm a big fan of the stay home and rest theory. At best, the player has a dozen things to go and places to be when in the game, and gets no rest over the break. At worst he gets injured over a game that means nothing. I prefer the older idea of players and managers selecting the team (was there a rule you couldn't vote for someone on your own team? Should have been if there wasn't but I don't remember.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Marte Lost the Vote

I hate the fan voting too. If anything, pick the All Stars and then have the fans vote the starters if you want them involved.

As a big baseball fan, it is fun to watch to me. All great players giving it their all since they have limited time in the game.

I'm not for all the othe activities even though they were fun to attend in 1994 and in 2006. But the game itself is great in my opinion.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Marte Lost the Vote

Marte made the team. Good for him. Good for the Pirates.

He is replacing Cespedes.
Quail

Marte Lost the Vote

Post by Quail »

444F474B4E4F541117605941484F4F0E434F200 wrote: Marte made the team. Good for him. Good for the Pirates.

He is replacing Cespedes.

Excellent!
NCBuccofan

Marte Lost the Vote

Post by NCBuccofan »

725E56515A7D4A5C4C3F0 wrote: I know it is a great honor for a player to be selected to the all-star game (unless you are a Cubbie and got voted in as part of the Cubs can do no wrong fan vote).

That said, I am glad that most Pirate players will be able to enjoy a few days off with their family or even just sleeping in for a few days.

I also will not lament if Melancon is asked to pitch to only a batter or two. 

Russel is the one glaring name that has no business being on the All Star roster, let alone starting. Zobrist probably should be on the team. Murphy and Carpenter both made it as well, and probably should be the starters, but whatever. Not a glaring mistake.

Polanco probably should have made it over Marte. Bruce and Duvall on the team is weird. Why not put Melvin Upton on the team if you value HRs over being a complete player?