Monday Night in Harrisburg

Post by Jerseykc »

he goes only 3 full innings and is lifted for a PH (who hits a HR), 6-0 Curve

57 pitches, 30 strikes, 3 BB and 6 K's

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.js ... x&sid=milb

Jonathan34

Post by Jonathan34 »

143B2C2D3B27353D5E0 wrote: he goes only 3 full innings and is lifted for a PH (who hits a HR), 6-0 Curve

57 pitches, 30 strikes, 3 BB and 6 K's

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.js ... x&sid=milb

I don't really believe he has done anything this year to warrant coming back up to the ML.
iabucco

Post by iabucco »

I agree. Right now, it seems like the most optimistic view of his being in the rotation would be as a June call up. I will say the same thing I said at the beginning of this year, I think we will have to be prepared to watch him struggle until he figures it out. I think he will struggle for awhile before he gets it.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

3830332432323E510 wrote: I agree.  Right now, it seems like the most optimistic view of his being in the rotation would be as a June call up.  I will say the same thing I said at the beginning of this year, I think we will have to be prepared to watch him struggle until he figures it out.  I think he will struggle for awhile before he gets it. 

your conclusion seems accurate to me. It also makes me even more disappointed in last year's offseason. There can be no way the Bucs were seriously counting on Taillon and Glasnow to be a big help this season (they may have hoped or wished it but must have known the odds were slim). I really hope the team rebounds but the money issues and question marks about players makes me wonder if the team has reached its high water mark (looking at in a glass half full mode). I consider myself to pretty optimistic but for what its worth I find it a lot easier to optimistic about the Steelers and Pens than I do the Pirates.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I don't think they were counting on both of them, just Taillon.

Taillon was projected to be up first and Glasnow in September. They had some regular starters struggle so they gave him a few starts.

MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

I know it is only August and that there are 40 or so games left in the season, but where do you think the starting rotation is for next year? And, in thinking about the rotation, how to you go a minimum of 7 - 8 deep, seeing as 12 or so different pitchers have started a game for the Bucs this year (and also recognizing what has happened to staff's such as the Dodgers who have been ravaged by injuries).

Tallion and Kuhl are both looking like real additions to the starting rotation, and Cole clearly is a member, so 3 of the spots could be spoken for.

But, Glasnow, at best, likely is a June addition. And Kingham likely will not yet be ready to go.

Do you put any stock in Hutchinson, despite his poor initial results?

Brault, Duncan, and other current AAA pitchers; perhaps depth at best.

If he continues to pitch well through the end of the season, do you actually consider bringing Vogelsong back on a 1 year deal?

If he pitches well - do you reach out to Nova on a deal?

Do you go the free agent route, even though there doesn't appear to be much available, which means that the pitchers who will be available will be very expensive.

And, if you go the trade route, who do you consider trading? In my opinion, there isn't much on the current major league roster in the way of position players to trade unless you consider the following:

Trading McCutcheon and replacing him with either Bell or Meadows.

Trading Cervelli and going with a catching tandem of Diaz and Fryer, even though that would necessitate loading up on AAAA catchers in AAA (think Kratz territory).

Trading a good reliever, like Watson or Rivero, as part of a package for a good starter.

Potentially moving J Harrison, who may interest some teams because of his versatility and contract.

Oh well ---- Will try to keep focused on this season, but the last 4 losses have really taken some luster off the team's chances, particularly with another trip to Milwaukee on the horizon.

Jerseykc

Post by Jerseykc »

Glasnow has control to work on and it looks like, he's going to have to overcome adversity. I've only seen him pitch twice in the minors in AA, dominated both times. But when he struggles, he struggles mentally as well. Needs to get over issues. You see both Tallion and Kuhl get tougher when a play goes against them or a seeing eye hit happens.

I see the rotation by opening day shaping up as (not as a 1-5 look but 5 starters)

Cole

Tallion

Kuhl

Nova or Voglesong or a FA pitcher

Brault (helps that he's a lefty)

Glasnow can be in the mix if he gets his head straightened out. But it also leaves us with a primarily right handed rotation. The Nova or someone else could also be a lefty.

Brault is my surprise upside guy for next year.

;D

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

517E69687E6270781B0 wrote: Glasnow has control to work on and it looks like, he's going to have to overcome adversity. I've only seen him pitch twice in the minors in AA, dominated both times. But when he struggles, he struggles mentally as well. Needs to get over issues. You see both Tallion and Kuhl get tougher when a play goes against them or a seeing eye hit happens.

I see the rotation by opening day shaping up as (not as a 1-5 look but 5 starters)

Cole

Tallion

Kuhl

Glasnow can be in the mix if he gets his head straightened out. But it also leaves us with a primarily right handed rotation. The Nova or someone else could also be a lefty.

;D

this sounds about right to me and looks like a pretty risky staff (all are to some extent). Bringing a starter in with a better track record than Nova and Vogelsong would help a lot.
Steve19981

Post by Steve19981 »

6B44535244584A42210 wrote: Glasnow has control to work on and it looks like, he's going to have to overcome adversity. I've only seen him pitch twice in the minors in AA, dominated both times. But when he struggles, he struggles mentally as well. Needs to get over issues. You see both Tallion and Kuhl get tougher when a play goes against them or a seeing eye hit happens.

Cole

Tallion

Kuhl

;D

I like Brault a lot. 3 potentially solid pitches that he can get swings and misses on. I think he's going to be a very reliable back of the rotation guy who could play up in a weaker rotation. Not a huge difference between he and Kuhl for me even Kuhl's a touch more polished.