3. Willson Contreras (R) C

4. Ian Happ (S) LF

5. Patrick Wisdom (R) 3B

6. Jonathan Villar (S) 2B

7. Jason Heyward (L) CF

8. Alfonso Rivas (L) 1B

9. Nico Hoerner (R) SS

Kyle Hendricks (R) SP

What did Perez do to get into Shelty's dog house?  Will Tucker be the first guy off the bench? 

[EDIT: date corrected to 4/23]
Bobster21

4/23 Game Thread - Bucs @ Cubs

Post by Bobster21 »

Day game after a night game gets Perez on the bench.

Hayes gets the "Shelty Special" rest.
bucs607179

Post by bucs607179 »

Still impressed we can actually be over .500 today. TBH I thought starting off with the Cards we would never see .500 the whole season.

Speaking of the Cardinals I think Zach was drafted by the Cardinals. (I hope the woke people don't start getting offended by sport teams using bird names)
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Why the heck is Hayes off today? He was just off last Sunday. He has now played FIVE BASEBALL GAMES IN A ROW and I guess it's not realistic to play six straight.

I feel like our lineup strategy is to put 14 names in a hat each morning and pick out 9 randomly.

MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

I continue to be unimpressed by Shelton's 'creativity' - 'ingenuity' in establishing a line-up.

Castillo is again in RF, rather than at 2nd. The only rationale I can figure is that when the Bucs need to pare the roster, that Castillo makes the cut and that Tucker will be sent down, and management wants him to be able to regularly fill in at RF. That said, the brick walls at Wrigley can really be intimidating, particularly before the ivy greens up. And for Castillo's sake (as well as the team's), gotta hope that the wind is not too nasty today.

Van Meter (Gameday lists Tucker) at 2nd --- why give a starting node to someone who doesn't factor into any real plans.

Oh well --- I guess I should feel content with the much unexpected 7 - 7 record. Hope that Yajure is ready to crank today, as Thompson likely won't be around by the start of the 5th.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

143934252233246467560 wrote: Day game after a night game gets Perez on the bench.

Hayes gets the "Shelty Special" rest.
Some things are just difficult to comprehend
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

0F232B2C2700372131420 wrote: I continue to be unimpressed by Shelton's 'creativity' - 'ingenuity' in establishing a line-up.

Castillo is again in RF, rather than at 2nd.  The only rationale I can figure is that when the Bucs need to pare the roster, that Castillo makes the cut and that Tucker will be sent down, and management wants him to be able to regularly fill in at RF.  That said, the brick walls at Wrigley can really be intimidating, particularly before the ivy greens up.   And for Castillo's sake (as well as the team's), gotta hope that the wind is not too nasty today.   

Van Meter (Gameday lists Tucker) at 2nd --- why give a starting node to someone who doesn't factor into any real plans.

Oh well --- I guess I should feel content with the much unexpected 7 - 7 record.  Hope that Yajure is ready to crank today, as Thompson likely won't be around by the start of the 5th. 
I'm sure Shelton was glad to get his foot in the door as an MLB manager and would like to do it for a long time and for better teams than the Pirates. He's not going to build up his resume with wins for a Nutting led team so it looks like he's trying to impress by being innovative. I'm sure a lot of it is in compliance with directives from Cherington and some of it is very good. He's got a "Not Ready for Prime Time" rotation and is using the BP to pitch over half of each game. And with good results.

But some of it seems to be going overboard for the purpose of impressing everyone with his innovativeness. For example, he has not allowed any SP to get a win. Several times he has pulled starters who were ahead and not struggling before they could qualify for the win. Last night he pulled Quintana with a 4-2 lead with 2 outs in the 5th, a runner on base, and following a slow dribbler to 2B for an out when Quintana had induced very weak contact. Shelton explained, "“Where we saw Q was at the time and the execution of pitches, we thought the right-hander at the time was the best matchup.” Gee, that's so much smarter than letting an effective starter continue. When Keller was finally having an outstanding game, Shelton pulled him after striking out the first batter in the 6th. That way we can see that Shelton is too smart to be fooled by a starter pitching effectively and uses his great insight to pull him when nothing appears to be wrong.

His lineups are another example of overthinking. Vogelbach gets on base but they have other, faster players who could do that at leadoff. Vogelbach has power that could generate runs in the middle of the order and that's a rare commodity on this roster. But it seems more important to be creative and have an unorthodox leadoff hitter than a lineup that makes sense. And then of course there is the never ending obsession with resting players. For most managers, having players get hot is reason to keep them in the lineup. But Shelton frequently benches players the day after a good game. He seems to want to build a reputation as a manager for being innovative. But some of it seems self-serving and defies common sense.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Forget the game. Let's just hear about Wehner's career while Brown laughs hysterically and the camera shows them in the booth.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_j8W-SDefU" style="border:0;height:100%;left:0;position:absolute;width:100%">
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

I'm too lazy to look this up right now, but I might tomorrow:

How many other "virgin" managers are out there to compare Shelton to?

By that, I mean- The club they are with is their first MLB manager job.

I can safely eliminate Dusty Baker and Tony LaRusso.

We have Shelton because the mailbox wasn't overflowing with applications at the time.

Cardinals? Cubs?