Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Nationals looking at Melancon

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Just heard that Ken Rosenthal said that Nats are looking at Mark Melancon
agent00

Post by agent00 »

Reynaldo Lopez or Victor Robles would be quite amazing, imo.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

"Multiple teams pursuing Melancon."

That's exactly the kind of scenario I was hoping for when I said that I'd listen on him.
Wrathchild

Post by Wrathchild »

I don't think the Pirates, under the circumstances of competing for a playoff spot, can deal Melancon unless they are getting a piece that arguably has a more positive impact right now. It sends the wrong message to fans but, more importantly, to players. A contending team is all that will want Melancon and those teams aren't going to deal immediately useful pieces to the Pirates. The only way I see Melancon going is a trade for good prospects that can allow for a follow-up deal for a good starting pitcher. Not sure if there is time or ability for that to occur.
Osushawn

Post by Osushawn »

I would think it would be in the Pirates best interest to trade Melancon as he can be replaced. They will need to make a move next year anyways, so you may as well get something in return.
Wrathchild

Post by Wrathchild »

Right now? Replaced by whom? We get worse in the 9th inning and that move leads to a pretty marginal reliever pitching the 7th inning when our starters rarely get past the 6th. It's giving up on the team unless there is a corresponding move for a starter. This is still a business about banners, not being perpetually pretty decent.
Jonathan34

Post by Jonathan34 »

I think this has to be a situation where you look at what the return is and then you make your decision on whether to trade him or not.

The goal is to build a perennial contender. All the great organizations trade popular players when the time comes to get value for them rather than nothing at all.

If they offer up a Lopez quality arm, you have to take that deal.
Wrathchild

Post by Wrathchild »

Wow, I'm a pretty big supporter of the front office and understanding that he's got to make value transactions, but I can't get on board with encouraging them to just throw in the towel two games back from a playoff berth.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

57726174686368696C64000 wrote: Wow, I'm a pretty big supporter of the front office and understanding that he's got to make value transactions, but I can't get on board with encouraging them to just throw in the towel two games back from a playoff berth.

Why is it throwing in the towel?  I'd expect us to get a big piece along with a bullpen part that would be with us for a few years. 

If that's not out there don't do it.
Wrathchild

Post by Wrathchild »

5E6C60607446656C61646B6C0D0 wrote: Wow, I'm a pretty big supporter of the front office and understanding that he's got to make value transactions, but I can't get on board with encouraging them to just throw in the towel two games back from a playoff berth.

Why is it throwing in the towel?  I'd expect us to get a big piece along with a bullpen part that would be with us for a few years. 

If that's not out there don't do it. 

As I indicated in previous posts, I'm not at all expecting a big piece and a bullpen part from a contending club. I would expect an overpay in the form of prospects that won't independently help this year.