Thank You, Pittsburgh- Andrew Mcutchen in The Players Trib

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BenM

Post by BenM »

Cutch says goodbye in The Player's Tribune

I forgot to say goodbye.

It’s always funny, how you picture something happening in your head, versus how it happens in real life. In my head, I pictured myself savoring every moment of my last game as a Pirate: This is my last time making that drive to the ballpark, as I’d come up on Sixth Street, by the Clemente Bridge, like a thousand times before. This is my last time putting on that black and yellow, as I’d fix up in the clubhouse mirror and make sure my hat looked just right. This is my last time poking my head out of that dugout … stepping into that batter’s box … swinging that bat … hitting that ball … running those bases…. for the only fans I’ve ever known.

I'm going to miss that guy.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

A little different than they way Cole sounded, for sure.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

Andrew McCutchen has more class in his left pinky finger than Bob Nutting could ever dream of. Bob Nutting didn’t deserve to employ a player like Andrew McCutchen.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

I think Cutch has more class than a lot of human beings in baseball and in society. Comparing Cutch in any way with Nutting is a dishonor to Cutch.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

I read that article and it made me think about a what could have been. I realize that baseball is a business. Business decisions are made with your brain. You try to take emotion out of it.

However Baseball is played by human beings. It is the emotion that fuels the players the fans. As human beings we develop relationships not by just our brains but with our hearts.

In Cutch we had a player not originally from Pittsburgh that adopted our city as his. That devoted numerous hours to the community, that became not only a face of the franchise but a clean living honorable individual that provided class to the organization. He was the Pirates version of Sidney Crosby.

The last Pirate player to have garnered that respect that made the Pirates relevent was Willie Stargell. What value do you place on those attributes. To me that value is much greater than a couple of non descript prospects.

Analytics and money may have dictated that it was time to say good bye to Cutch. However the heart and soul are saying otherwise. If ever there was a time to lock up a still productive city icon it was now. We had a chance to do the right thing and ownership struck out!
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Cutch is class all the way. Besides being a darn good baseball player, he is an individual who you respect by his actions and words. I would hope the three game series vs the Giants in May are all sellouts to show the FO how the fan base enjoyed his play on the field, and to welcome back someone who will always bleed Black and Gold
BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Cutch is a class player! Happy for him and wish him nothing but success in San Fran! He deserves a standing ovation any time he returns to PNC! He was and will always be on of my favorite players! Thanks for sharing the article! 8-)
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

The Player's Tribune is a pretty good website. There are a bunch of good reads. Just know they are athletes and not writers.

I think McCutchen has been published before too.

www.theplayerstribune.com
BenM

Post by BenM »

616A626E6B6A713432457C646D6A6A2B666A050 wrote: The Player's Tribune is a pretty good website.  There are a bunch of good reads.  Just know they are athletes and not writers.

I think McCutchen has been published before too.

www.theplayerstribune.com

Cervelli wrote a piece about how bad things are economically in his native Venezuela. I think it's gotten worse since then.