The Departed

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

The Departed

Post by Bobster21 »

1433381B560 wrote:

Austin Meadows hit .291, 33 HRs, 89 RBIs and made AS team for TB.

Tyler Glasnow was 6-1 with a 1.78 ERA in 12 games for TB with 14 BBs, 76 Ks in 60.2 IP.

This is why I am cheering for Tampa in the playoffs.

It might be the closest the Bucs get to a title in a long time.

I saw a network promo for the TB/Houston game and they billed it as Verlander vs Meadows. Wow!
ArnoldRothstein

The Departed

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

It's set for Glasnow v. Cole tomorrow night.
PMike

The Departed

Post by PMike »

0A392524272F19243F23383F2E22254B0 wrote: It's set for Glasnow v. Cole tomorrow night. 

That may, shockingly, be the low for the Pirates 2019 season.
BenM

The Departed

Post by BenM »

637E5A5856330 wrote: It's set for Glasnow v. Cole tomorrow night. 

That may, shockingly, be the low for the Pirates 2019 season.

Especially if Meadows homers.
Quail

The Departed

Post by Quail »

David Freese announces his retirement: https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/new ... fu0y2xwjdr

One of my favorite Pirates of recent vintage. One of NH's rare FA signings that was an unequivocal winner. A real pro who produced on the field, and by all accounts was a great clubhouse leader. Hope the rest of his life is as rewarding for him as his MLB career was.
DemDog

The Departed

Post by DemDog »

5C786C64610D0 wrote: David Freese announces his retirement: https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/new ... fu0y2xwjdr

One of my favorite Pirates of recent vintage. One of NH's rare FA signings that was an unequivocal winner. A real pro who produced on the field, and by all accounts was a great clubhouse leader. I hope the rest of his life is as rewarding for him as his MLB career was.

Here's further coverage from MLBTRs

David Freese Announces Retirement

I share Quail's sentiment about Freese as a Pirate. I'll forget July 27, 2018, when the Bucs played the Mets at PNC. Mrs. Possum and I were there as guests of VaPirate. All we say was David Freese singlehandedly beat the Mets 5-4. Freese drove in all 5 Bucco runs including a walk-off BFOB's single to deep RCF to score Jhay who had singled to lead off the inning. Thanks for that memory David. May your life in retirement be fulfilling.
Bobster21

The Departed

Post by Bobster21 »

4B6A624B60680F0 wrote: David Freese announces his retirement: https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/new ... fu0y2xwjdr

One of my favorite Pirates of recent vintage. One of NH's rare FA signings that was an unequivocal winner. A real pro who produced on the field, and by all accounts was a great clubhouse leader. I hope the rest of his life is as rewarding for him as his MLB career was.

Here's further coverage from MLBTRs

David Freese Announces Retirement

I share Quail's sentiment about Freese as a Pirate.  I'll forget July 27, 2018, when the Bucs played the Mets at PNC.  Mrs. Possum and I were there as guests of VaPirate.  All we say was David Freese singlehandedly beat the Mets 5-4.  Freese drove in all 5 Bucco runs including a walk-off  BFOB's single to deep RCF to score Jhay who had singled to lead off the inning.  Thanks for that memory David.  May your life in retirement be fulfilling.
He was a great guy to have on the team. And he wasn't shy about sharing his feelings when he saw that winning was not a priority.
DemDog

The Departed

Post by DemDog »

Bobby DelCreco Dies

DelGrecco bouced around MLB for 9 years and was traded to the Cards along with Dick Littlefied (no relation to "The Hair" GM) for Bil "The Quail" Virdon on May 17, 1956
fjk090852-7

The Departed

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Just saw on the Trib that former Buc Jackie Hernandez passed away. He handled the last out in the 1971 World Series.
Ecbucs

The Departed

Post by Ecbucs »

6D61603B323B333E39263C0B0 wrote: Just saw on the Trib that former Buc Jackie Hernandez passed away. He handled the last out in the 1971 World Series.

surprisingly, Baseball reference hasn't updated his page with this info yet.

I learned about it on facebook and Tommy John commented that Jackie was his catcher in 1961 and part of 1962. It was their manager at that time that moved him from catcher to shortstop (think John said Johnny Lipon was manager). With Gene Alley battling injuries Hernandez turned out to be an important player on the team.