The Departed

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

The Departed

Post by fjk090852-7 »

163B36272031266665540 wrote: Cole's ERA for Houston this season is an unimpressive 5.22. His ERA last year from July on was 3.35, which was good for the AL but not the dominating 2.50 ERA he had the first half of 2018. When they look at Musgrove's 0.81 ERA, Moran as a possible DH and Martin's good start with the Bucs, I wonder if they now think the trade wasn't the one sided affair it initially appeared to be.   
Wow I had not looked at Cole’s stats for a week or so. A 1-3 record with a very high ERA in his walk year. He is probably not very happy right now.
GermanTownship

The Departed

Post by GermanTownship »

Bobster, as you well know, when a trade is made, we are all guilty in judging the trade immediately, instead of giving it time. Let's see how Musgrove, Moran, and Martin develop. Also, when Cutch was traded, many on OBN were quick to also say that it was too lopsided, giving up a favorite player for two unknowns, Crick and Reynolds.
Bobster21

The Departed

Post by Bobster21 »

5674637C707F457E667F62797861110 wrote: Bobster, as you well know, when a trade is made, we are all guilty in judging the trade immediately, instead of giving it time. Let's see how Musgrove, Moran, and Martin develop. Also, when Cutch was traded, many on OBN were quick to also say that it was too lopsided, giving up a favorite player for two unknowns, Crick and Reynolds.
Yes, that was my point. I suspect we are all surprised to see those trades possibly turning in the Pirates' favor or at least fair value on the return.
fjk090852-7

The Departed

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Today the Phillies selected the contract of Sean Rodriguez. I hope he does better for them than he did for the Bucs last season.
skinnyhorse

The Departed

Post by skinnyhorse »

060A0B5059505855524D57600 wrote: Today the Phillies selected the contract of Sean Rodriguez. I hope he does better for them than he did for the Bucs last season.
Surely their manager will play him in the role he's suited for not start him 4 days a week like the great Clint Hurdle.  He should only be brought in for defense late in games when you have the lead.
fjk090852-7

The Departed

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Just noticed Cole lost another game . He is now 1-4 with an ERA of .471.
Bobster21

The Departed

Post by Bobster21 »

242829727B727A77706F75420 wrote: Just  noticed Cole lost another game . He is now 1-4 with an ERA of 4.71.
Yes but it's the best game he's pitched this year. 7 innings, 3 hits, 2 ERs, 3 BBs, 10 Ks. He gave up 2 solo HRs and lost 2-1.
fjk090852-7

The Departed

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Glasnow won his fifth game today. Had 9 strikeouts,and gave up 2 runs.
Ecbucs

The Departed

Post by Ecbucs »

7975742F262F272A2D32281F0 wrote: Glasnow won his fifth game today. Had 9 strikeouts,and gave up 2 runs.

It is okay with me to give up talent to get talent back.

It is poor management though if you misjudge the talent that you are giving up and the talent you are getting back.

Too early to say that is the case but trending in that direction.
Bobster21

The Departed

Post by Bobster21 »

4B6D6C7B6D7D0E0 wrote: Glasnow won his fifth game today. Had 9 strikeouts,and gave up 2 runs.

It is okay with me to give up talent to get talent back.

It is poor management though if you misjudge the talent that you are giving up and the talent you are getting back.

Too early to say that is the case but trending in that direction.
I'm one of those who believes Glasnow was not going to succeed as a Pirate. But the question is 'why'? He was lights out in the minors, a disaster as a Pirate, and immediately resumed being lights out as soon as he went to TB. He seemed to have severe confidence issues with the Pirates. His pitches were too often not even close enough to the strike zone to tempt batters. And when he compensated by throwing strikes right down the middle, he got crushed and the batters who had walked scored. But it's an indictment of the Pirates that they were not able to bring out the ability that Glasnow showed immediately before and immediately after his time with the Pirates. This seems to be symptomatic of the Pirate organization that they have strongly hyped prospects who seem to fail to live up to expectations. But as soon as Glasnow went to a new team, all the talent the Pirates knew he had but never got to benefit from suddenly became the norm for him. And look at Polanco. he was hyped as a superior hitter and fielder. But as a Pirate, he's never hit better than .258 and has always been a liability in the OF. Newman was a #1 pick and the SS of the future. But now he's being groomed as a utility player. Bell is incapable of playing 1B at an acceptable level. Morton had to leave the Pirates to harness his talent. And where is #1 pick and catcher of the future Tony Sanchez? Selling cars maybe? What the heck is wrong in the Pirate organization?