Post by Bobster21 »

JollyRoger

June 28, 1970.

Post by JollyRoger »

Actually it was the last 2 games
Surgnbuck

June 28, 1970.

Post by Surgnbuck »

25 years from now, 300,000 people are going to say they were at this game....

lol, like he said, that's the way it always is.
Ecbucs

June 28, 1970.

Post by Ecbucs »

I went the day before. My uncle went to the last games and gave me the program (which I hope is in a box somewhere).
WildwoodDave2

June 28, 1970.

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

65434451585443555D360 wrote: 25 years from now, 300,000 people are going to say they were at this game....

lol, like he said, that's the way it always is.
I was actually there with a long time friend, Jerry. People were storming the field trying to get grass and scoops of dirt or anything the could get their hands on. i got married on May 30th. Surprised she let me go :D
GnatsEyelash

June 28, 1970.

Post by GnatsEyelash »

A friend of my father scooped up some dirt from the mound. We still have the bottle containing it.

A couple of days prior, my Dad took me to see the Pirates and Cardinals. Bob Robertson, from my home area, had two doubles and a triple and Dad had arranged for us to meet him after the game. That's as good as it gets for an 11 year old.

But there was a bonus. Bob told us to meet him outside of a service entrance at Forbes. Players who had a great following would use it to avoid the crowd. Prior to Robertson...Clemente and Stargell used the alternate route.

Lots and nooks and crannies...and stories...from Forbes Field. The House of Thrills.
2drfischer@gmail.c

June 28, 1970.

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

The lasting memory I have of Forbes Field is walking beneath the grandstand, then out through the tunnel to the left field bleachers, where my dad always took us to sit. The brightness of the lights and the rich color of the grass are seared into my memory. The expanse of it was other-worldly for a small boy. I don't know why but that grass seemed a lot different than the grass we played on everyday.
WildwoodDave2

June 28, 1970.

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

792F392D223828232E390B2C262A222765284B0 wrote: The lasting memory I have of Forbes Field is walking beneath the grandstand, then out through the tunnel to the left field bleachers, where my dad always took us to sit.  The brightness of the lights and the rich color of the grass are seared into my memory.  The expanse of it was other-worldly for a small boy.  I don't know why but that grass seemed a lot different than the grass we played on everyday.
Good memories doc. 99% good. The only bad one was if you had a General Admission seat and got stuck behind one of those big support poles. :-/
Bobster21

June 28, 1970.

Post by Bobster21 »

found
2drfischer@gmail.c

June 28, 1970.

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

407E7B73607878735376617225170 wrote: The lasting memory I have of Forbes Field is walking beneath the grandstand, then out through the tunnel to the left field bleachers, where my dad always took us to sit.  The brightness of the lights and the rich color of the grass are seared into my memory.  The expanse of it was other-worldly for a small boy.  I don't know why but that grass seemed a lot different than the grass we played on everyday.
Good memories doc. 99% good. The only bad one was if you had a General Admission seat and got stuck behind one of those big support poles. :-/

If we sat in the upper seats of the bleachers on the side closest to home plate, inevitably a post blocked some part of our view. But that was part of the charm. ::)