The Departed

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dmetz

The Departed

Post by dmetz »

Morton was trained to throw 2-seamers 75% of the time and to pitch to contact.    Now he throws a cut fastball once in a while and a lot of 4-seamers. FB% is barely over 50%.

dogknot17@yahoo.co

The Departed

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

28212938364C0 wrote: Morton was trained to throw 2-seamers 75% of the time and to pitch to contact.    Now he throws a cut fastball once in a while and a lot of 4-seamers.    FB% is barely over 50%. 

Control of his pitches was his biggest issue. He was wild and missed the strike zone. If his junk balls weren't being thrown for strikes, the fastball was sat on. Reminds me of Glasnow.
Bobster21

The Departed

Post by Bobster21 »

676C64686D6C773234437A626B6C6C2D606C030 wrote: Charlie Morton has held  the Yanks to 1 hit thru 7 tonight.   He has 10 Ks and there have been some beauties.   He is on another level these days.  That curveball is so sharp it almost looks like a right angle at times.

This isn't helping what to do with Glasnow.  Morton figured it out after ten years and four teams later.

Yeah, Morton was 33 and in year 10 when he turned his career around last season. You can't wait that long for a pitcher to reach his potential, especially with the high salaries that go along with arbitration and free agency in that period. He always had a great curve, which was why hopes were always high for him. There were several times I watched him and after 2 innings I thought he had no-hit stuff. But then he'd get wild, walk and hit batters, have a patented meltdown innings and an early exit. That pattern was so frequent that he was not someone you could feel confident about anytime he took the mound.
SammyKhalifa

The Departed

Post by SammyKhalifa »

032E23323524337370410 wrote: Charlie Morton has held  the Yanks to 1 hit thru 7 tonight.   He has 10 Ks and there have been some beauties.   He is on another level these days.  That curveball is so sharp it almost looks like a right angle at times.

This isn't helping what to do with Glasnow.  Morton figured it out after ten years and four teams later.

Yeah, Morton was 33 and in year 10 when he turned his career around last season. You can't wait that long for a pitcher to reach his potential, especially with the high salaries that go along with arbitration and free agency in that period. He always had a great curve, which was why hopes were always high for him. There were several times I watched him and after 2 innings I thought he had no-hit stuff. But then he'd get wild, walk and hit batters, have a patented meltdown innings and an early exit. That pattern was so frequent that he was not someone you could feel confident about anytime he took the mound. 

But I do wonder if it makes some people question their "Searage Magic" mantra.

I mean I think our coaches are good and I like Ray Searage, but we aren't vastly superior to the others.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

The Departed

153835242332256566570 wrote: Charlie Morton has held  the Yanks to 1 hit thru 7 tonight.   He has 10 Ks and there have been some beauties.   He is on another level these days.  That curveball is so sharp it almost looks like a right angle at times.

This is why I am all for drafting bats, especially if you have high picks. Bats can make an impact sooner in their careers. It just takes pitchers longer. Sure, some Pitchers might fall through the crack and make it as a late rounder. I really liked the Cubs approach in their recent playoff and world series run. They had the bats, they went out and got the pitchers. Only one was home grown (and he was traded for at one point too).
dmetz

The Departed

Post by dmetz »

I feel pretty sure that a good part of Morton's control issues were because of the extreme tail and movement on his 2-seamer. He had trouble controlling that fastball.

He also had trouble with left handed hitters because of it, which now he can neutralize with his cutter moving in on them.

The 4-seamer is easier to control, the cutter is good vs LH, and his curve always was good. He's not pitching behind in counts as often because he's come off that "electric stuff" ground Chuck stuff. His GB rate lower, his k rates are higher
Bobster21

The Departed

Post by Bobster21 »

444F474B4E4F541117605941484F4F0E434F200 wrote: Charlie Morton has held  the Yanks to 1 hit thru 7 tonight.   He has 10 Ks and there have been some beauties.   He is on another level these days.  That curveball is so sharp it almost looks like a right angle at times.

This is why I am all for drafting bats, especially if you have high picks.  Bats can make an impact sooner in their careers.  It just takes pitchers longer.  Sure, some Pitchers might fall through the crack and make it as a late rounder.  I really liked the Cubs approach in their recent playoff and world series run.  They had the bats, they went out and got the pitchers.  Only one was home grown (and he was traded for at one point too).

But the Cubs were willing to pay for good pitching. The combined salaries for their 5 starters in 2016 was over 61 million. TBMTIB is currently livin' the dream with 4 of their 5 starters not even arbitration eligible. Very possibly the lowest salaried starting rotation in MLB.
SammyKhalifa

The Departed

Post by SammyKhalifa »

604D40515647501013220 wrote: Charlie Morton has held  the Yanks to 1 hit thru 7 tonight.   He has 10 Ks and there have been some beauties.   He is on another level these days.  That curveball is so sharp it almost looks like a right angle at times.

This is why I am all for drafting bats, especially if you have high picks.  Bats can make an impact sooner in their careers.  It just takes pitchers longer.  Sure, some Pitchers might fall through the crack and make it as a late rounder.  I really liked the Cubs approach in their recent playoff and world series run.  They had the bats, they went out and got the pitchers.  Only one was home grown (and he was traded for at one point too).

But the Cubs were willing to pay for good pitching. The combined salaries for their 5 starters in 2016 was over 61 million. TBMTIB is currently livin' the dream with 4 of their 5 starters not even arbitration eligible. Very possibly the lowest salaried starting rotation in MLB.

No matter what you think of the current "TBM . . ." a team like the Pirates could never "go get" a top staff like the Chicagos or LAs can. A signing or two sure.
Bobster21

The Departed

Post by Bobster21 »

With Oriole 3Bman Tim Beckham injured, Pedro has played 3 games at 3B. He has 8 assists without an error.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

The Departed

426F62737465723231000 wrote: With Oriole 3Bman Tim Beckham injured, Pedro has played 3 games at 3B. He has 8 assists without an error.

He'd be third on the Pirates in OPS. Diaz and Cervelli lead the team and only one of them plays at a time.