The Departed

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

The Departed

Post by Ecbucs »

this is from Buster Olney article on ESPN.  He makes a key point that managers don't challenge this because they have pitchers on their team's using pine tar.  In my view they need to make this legal or enforce the rule.  I thought that in cold weather pitchers could go to their mouths (off the mound).  That should be sufficient.  I also don't understand how this could have been allowed to become prevalent. 

Pine tar is broadly viewed as a pitch enhancer, increasing spin rate in an era in which additional spin rate is measured and valued.

A lot of pitchers are using foreign substances out in the open, ignoring the written rules that Bauer referenced.

[highlight]Opposing managers do not ask umpires to check for foreign substances because they know that some of their own pitchers are using them. Major League Baseball is certainly aware of the shiny forearms and dabs of stuff stuck in gloves -- anybody can see them -- and hasn't moved to enforce or rewrite the rules.

[/highlight]The enforcers of those rules, the umpires, don't check on their own volition. Heck, last April, a baseball stuck to the chest protector of Cardinals catcher Yadier Molina, and it was widely assumed that Molina -- like other catchers -- wore a layer of pine tar to apply to the baseball in an effort to aid the pitcher. There wasn't any serious follow-up that we know of.

Link to article: http://www.espn.com/blog/buster-olney/i ... tten-worse
NJBucsFan

The Departed

Post by NJBucsFan »

I honestly hadn't been following him, but really interesting story on Hayden Hurst going from the yips in the Pirates farm system, to first round Ravens draft choice.

https://www.mlb.com/cut4/top-tight-end- ... -273640822
Ecbucs

The Departed

Post by Ecbucs »

77737B4C5A4A7F5857390 wrote: I honestly hadn't been following him, but really interesting story on Hayden Hurst going from the yips in the Pirates farm system, to first round Ravens draft choice.

https://www.mlb.com/cut4/top-tight-end- ... -273640822

I hope he has a decent NFL career but that he gets the drops when playing the Steelers.
fjk090852-7

The Departed

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Just noticed that Neil Walker is hitting .172 with no homers and only 3 rbi. Very slow start for the former Bucco.
BenM

The Departed

Post by BenM »

3935346F666F676A6D72685F0 wrote: Just noticed that Neil Walker is hitting .172 with no homers and only 3 rbi. Very slow start for the former Bucco.

And with moves like Glyber Torres being called up and Greg Bird coming back from injury, there's a big possibility he's the odd man out.
Bobster21

The Departed

Post by Bobster21 »

Pedro Alvarez hit 2 HRs for the Orioles last night. 4 for the season. Hitting .218 with all but 3 ABs vs RHP.
Bobster21

The Departed

Post by Bobster21 »

0F222F3E39283F7F7C4D0 wrote: Pedro Alvarez hit 2 HRs for the Orioles last night. 4 for the season. Hitting .218 with all but 3 ABs vs RHP.
Another 2 HR game for Pedro yesterday.
DemDog

The Departed

Post by DemDog »

0C212C3D3A2B3C7C7F4E0 wrote: Pedro Alvarez hit 2 HRs for the Orioles last night. 4 for the season. Hitting .218 with all but 3 ABs vs RHP.
Another 2 HR game for Pedro yesterday.

Pedro for the HOF*!!

* HOF = Hall of Failure!! 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
INbuc

The Departed

Post by INbuc »

Charlie Morton has held the Yanks to 1 hit thru 7 tonight. He has 10 Ks and there have been some beauties. He is on another level these days. That curveball is so sharp it almost looks like a right angle at times.

dogknot17@yahoo.co

The Departed

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

7B7C504751320 wrote: Charlie Morton has held  the Yanks to 1 hit thru 7 tonight.   He has 10 Ks and there have been some beauties.   He is on another level these days.  That curveball is so sharp it almost looks like a right angle at times.

This isn't helping what to do with Glasnow. Morton figured it out after ten years and four teams later.