Pirate Moves

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

WildwoodDave2

Pirate Moves

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

1F323F2E29382F6F6C5D0 wrote: Stephenson does not appear to be very confident. And for good reason. This looks like a classic dumpster dive. Per the PPG:

Stephenson spoke with the Post-Gazette before Sunday’s game as he was unpacking his things and said he was excited for the opportunity in Pittsburgh. He also hoped that Pirates coaches might be able to help him figure out what has been happening with his four-seam fastball.

Opponents have hit .379 and slugged .641 against the pitch this season. In 2021, those numbers sat at .307 and .534. The inability to utilize his fastball has forced Stephenson to rely more on his terrific slider, which has tamped down its effectiveness.

“I think there are a couple mechanical tweaks that I might need to make,” Stephenson said. “But really the main thing is I need my fastball to be more effective. Then my slider can play off of that.

“This last month or so has been a little bit of a struggle. My fastball has been getting hit pretty hard. If these guys have some suggestions for me to get back on track with that, I think that’s probably the first step to getting back to where I need to be.”

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/pir ... 2208280159
It appears he has come to the wrong place
My guess is that Cherington thought he was getting Robert Louis Stephenson because having the author of "Treasure Island" playing for the Pirates would be a great PR move. I'm sure Greg Brown is already focus grouping a slew of nicknames. 
That is some deep thinking- very good
3pirates3

Pirate Moves

Post by 3pirates3 »

"We have reinstated RHP JT Brubaker from the paternity list and recalled RHP Miguel Yajure from Triple-A Indianapolis.

To make room for Brubaker and Yajure on the 26-man active roster, LHP Eric Stout and LHP Cam Vieaux have been optioned to Indianapolis." - Pirates

https://twitter.com/Pirates/status/1565029056487325697
fjk090852-7

Pirate Moves

Post by fjk090852-7 »

The Bucs have recalled Cal Mitchell and Johan Oviedo from Indy. Oviedo will start on Friday for Pittsburgh.
INbuc

Pirate Moves

Post by INbuc »

Mitchell only hit .204 in his previous stint in Pittsburgh, but he deserves some serious attention for his work in Indy. The league average is .251 in the International League and in his first year in AAA and in 261 plate appearances, he hit .339. No one with that many appearances hit better.
3pirates3

Pirate Moves

Post by 3pirates3 »

ChillinStation

Pirate Moves

Post by ChillinStation »

Solomon looks like a solid pick up.

If all of Keller, Brubaker and Contreas can each take a step forward next season things could get interesting. They all need to work 6 + innings per start. That would be huge.

Ecbucs

Pirate Moves

Post by Ecbucs »

4E6564616164635E796C796462630D0 wrote:

If all of Keller, Brubaker and Contreas can each take a step forward next season things could get interesting. They all need to work 6 + innings per start. That would be huge.

that might put Underwood out of a job.
Bobster21

Pirate Moves

Post by Bobster21 »

133534233525560 wrote:

No such luck. Solomon was optioned to AAA.
WildwoodDave2

Pirate Moves

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

7C515C4D4A5B4C0C0F3E0 wrote:

No such luck. Solomon was optioned to AAA.
OF course, they need to keep VanMeter in the lineup
WildwoodDave2

Pirate Moves

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

1F3435303035320F283D283533325C0 wrote:

They need to get a new manager to allow them to do it!