Pirate Moves

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

WildwoodDave2

Pirate Moves

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

557875646372652526170 wrote: ^ weeks until the trade deadline- Will be interesting to see who

are the lucky ones to go
6 weeks
I think the Bucs could move 3 or 4 veteran players prior to or at the deadline. I could see them moving Quintana, Gemmel, Vogelbach as well as Newman. I don’t think they will get any top players for these players, but they could fetch a serviceable pitcher or two.
agreed but because Newman has hardly played this season, it might be difficult to move him
I think Newman's value to other teams would be as a backup SS-2B. So they probably wouldn't mind his recent injury and lack of playing this year. He would be another team's Chang or VanMeter.
Has Newman's stock dropped that far?
Bobster21

Pirate Moves

Post by Bobster21 »

1B2520283B232328082D3A297E4C0 wrote: ^ weeks until the trade deadline- Will be interesting to see who

are the lucky ones to go
6 weeks
I think the Bucs could move 3 or 4 veteran players prior to or at the deadline. I could see them moving Quintana, Gemmel, Vogelbach as well as Newman. I don’t think they will get any top players for these players, but they could fetch a serviceable pitcher or two.
agreed but because Newman has hardly played this season, it might be difficult to move him
I think Newman's value to other teams would be as a backup SS-2B. So they probably wouldn't mind his recent injury and lack of playing this year. He would be another team's Chang or VanMeter.
Has Newman's stock dropped that far?
I think so. Other than 2019 he's been a light-hitting, good glove middle infielder. I think the Pirates have been patient with Newman to an extent because they invested a 1st round pick in him. But they gave his job to Erik Gonzalez in 2019 until Gonzalez got injured and then again in 2020. And they have been hoping Cruz would replace him soon at SS. But Cruz has struggled defensively while Peguero looks like the next long term SS. No other team has a 1st round investment in Newman and all he would be to them is a light hitting SS-2B whose team replaced him twice before when he was healthy. IMO Newman would not start for most teams when healthy.
fjk090852-7

Pirate Moves

Post by fjk090852-7 »

24050D240F07600 wrote: "Per sources: Pirates are calling up Canaan Smith-Njigba and Hoy Park. For Smith-Njigba, assuming he plays, it’ll mark his MLB debut." - Mackey

https://twitter.com/JMackeyPG/status/15 ... 9244808193

https://www.baseball-reference.com/regi ... ith-003can
One of them will probably only be the extra player allowed for doubleheaders (Tuesday). The other will require a roster move to add to the 26 man roster. I'm guessing they are expecting Chang to catch a cold and go on the IL. 

On the PG website, Mackey is expecting Swaggerty to be sent out.
Smith Njiba to the 60 day IL with a wrist injury, and LP Cam Vieaux brought up from Indy.
Bobster21

Pirate Moves

Post by Bobster21 »

2B27267D747D75787F607A4D0 wrote:

Smith Njiba to the 60 day IL with a wrist injury, and LP Cam Vieaux brought up from Indy.
That makes 14 pitchers and 3 bench players. Brilliant.
fjk090852-7

Pirate Moves

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I expect to hear news tonight or tomorrow that Cruz is being recalled. Greg Brown questioned Ben Cherington on the Sunday show, and Brown tried his best to get a positive response from BC. It really appears Cruz is very close to being brought up. Also he is not in the Indy lineup this afternoon. Very interesting!
Surgnbuck

Pirate Moves

Post by Surgnbuck »

Madrid and Cruz coming up tomorrow per Brown on post game show.
DemDog

Pirate Moves

Post by DemDog »

416760757C70677179120 wrote: Madrid and Cruz coming up tomorrow per Brown on post-game show.

Okay, who goes down? I suppose it will be Park and maybe a pitcher?
SteadyFreddy

Pirate Moves

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Great to see them finally bring Cruz up and I’m glad they are doing it at home too after such a dramatic win today with the Suwinski 3 homer game. Just get that bat in the lineup of Cruz and who cares for now where he plays in the field.
WildwoodDave2

Pirate Moves

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

48696148636B0C0 wrote: Madrid and Cruz coming up tomorrow per Brown on post-game show.

Okay, who goes down?  I suppose it will be Park and maybe a pitcher?

Suwinski :D :D :D
Bobster21

Pirate Moves

Post by Bobster21 »

4A6B634A61690E0 wrote: Madrid and Cruz coming up tomorrow per Brown on post-game show.

Okay, who goes down?  I suppose it will be Park and maybe a pitcher?
Today s the last day teams can carry 14 pitchers per the new MLB rule. So the Pirates have to take a pitcher off the active roster. And I suspect Park will go on the IL to make room after getting injured today.