Game day thread 5/30 Bucs vs. Giants

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

0A2C2B3E373B2C3A32590 wrote: Suwinski strikes out looking at ball 4  I just hate major league umpires, I really do
There's no way that this is not deliberate and orchestrated. Years ago there was so much controversy about bad ball/strike calls that the discussions of robo calls began and broadcasts always showed a pitch track box so fans could judge how accurate the calls were. Umps have still been making wrong calls over the years (they aren't perfect) but they improved to some degree when it became a point of emphasis.

This year MLB is all about speeding up the game. And concurrent with rule changes to that effect, all umpires are now calling generous--if not bizarre--strike zones. ABs are quicker now when batters are prematurely called out on bad 3rd strikes or swinging at bad pitches because they are afraid not to, or swinging because they are behind in the count when they should have been ahead and taking a pitch. These bad calls are consistent from ump to ump, inning to inning, game to game. The umps have transitioned from trying to do the best they can to routinely making obviously incorrect calls with impunity.

MLB has been pushing toward robo calls by experimenting with it in the minors. But I suspect they will now be reluctant to use it in the majors because they value speeding up the games more than getting the calls right. And colluding with the umpires serves that purpose. For the umpires, it makes their job easier. Instead of trying to accurately call 90-100 mph borderline pitches, they can call a strike anytime it's remotely in the neighborhood. They still unintentionally miss pitches. We see some strikes called balls. But there seems to be a real effort this year to expand the strike zone in all directions. And MLB officials seem strangely silent on the matter.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

4D73767E6D75757E5E7B6C7F281A0 wrote: Sabol one of those players that wears glasses. I wonder who the OBN members recall being the better players to wear glasses?

The first player I remember to wear glasses was Julian Javier of the Cardinals, but there were guys before him.
How can we forget Ryen Duren? Didn't help him thou. He hit

a batter on the on deck circle :D

I'll always remember Duren. They'd have to steer him out to the mound.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

163B36272031266665540 wrote: Suwinski strikes out looking at ball 4  I just hate major league umpires, I really do
There's no way that this is not deliberate and orchestrated. Years ago there was so much controversy about bad ball/strike calls that the discussions of robo calls began and broadcasts always showed a pitch track box so fans could judge how accurate the calls were. Umps have still been making wrong calls over the years (they aren't perfect) but they improved to some degree when it became a point of emphasis.

This year MLB is all about speeding up the game. And concurrent with rule changes to that effect, all umpires are now calling generous--if not bizarre--strike zones. ABs are quicker now when batters are prematurely called out on bad 3rd strikes or swinging at bad pitches because they are afraid not to, or swinging because they are behind in the count when they should have been ahead and taking a pitch. These bad calls are consistent from ump to ump, inning to inning, game to game. The umps have transitioned from trying to do the best they can to routinely making obviously incorrect calls with impunity.

MLB has been pushing toward robo calls by experimenting with it in the minors. But I suspect they will now be reluctant to use it in the majors because they value speeding up the games more than getting the calls right. And colluding with the umpires serves that purpose. For the umpires, it makes their job easier. Instead of trying to accurately call 90-100 mph borderline pitches, they can call a strike anytime it's remotely in the neighborhood. They still unintentionally miss pitches. We see some strikes called balls. But there seems to be a real effort this year to expand the strike zone in all directions. And MLB officials seem strangely silent on the matter. 

I've been following the games on Gameday and this year it's remarkable how many pitches well in the zone that were called balls and how many well outside the zone that were called strikes.  That didn't happen that much before.  Borderline pitches are missed, that's to be expected.  But several times they've shown pitches that were nearly in the opposite batter's box that were called strikes.