Game Thread 6/9/2022 Pirates vs. Braves

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

022423363F3324323A510 wrote: Suwinski K's.

Another game that felt like the Pirates let one get away.

Tomorrow another day

So far I am feeling somewhat optimistic about this season and your phrase, "Another game that felt like the Pirates let one get away." is a big part of my optimism. Earlier I thought the Bucs would just get steam rolled over and over this season and that isn't happening.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

Well, we out hit them 8 to 6. :D
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

7D485F5F546D5F5F54535F3A0 wrote: I sure hope not a return to not scoring many runs- fewer than three.  If we score, we tend to win. 
Now 5 games in a row with 3 runs or less.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Whoa!  I admit that I hadn't realized that.  Then again, just like this evening, I've been busy with a new assignment for the past three weeks.  I broke away a little tonight.

I remember reading a while back ago that even bad clubs don't often get blown out.  Most games are fairly close.

The better clubs usually have one or two more key moments that pay off for them than the bad clubs.

Most games are fairly close. It's that the bad teams have longer stretches of losing.

Unless it's one of the very worst clubs, like the 62 Mets.

We need to find ways to get guys across.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

655047474C7547474C4B47220 wrote: Whoa!  I admit that I hadn't realized that.  Then again, just like this evening, I've been busy with a new assignment for the past three weeks.  I broke away a little tonight.

I remember reading a while back ago that even bad clubs don't often get blown out.  Most games are fairly close.

The better clubs usually have one or two more key moments that pay off for them than the bad clubs.

Unless it's one of the very worst clubs, like the 62 Mets.

We need to find ways to get guys across.
In those past 5 games scoring 1, 1, 3, 3 and 2 runs there have been 8 scoring plays. 5 of those 8 were on HR swings.

6/4 (win 2-1): Suwinski walk-off 2-run HR

6/5 (win 3-0): Mitchell solo HR, Castillo SF after Suwinski double and SB, Hayes RBI single after Heineman double.

6/7 (lose 5-3): Chang bloop double off 2Bman's glove in short RF scoring Mitchell from 1B, 2-run HR by Mitchell.

6/8 (lose 3-1): solo HR by Suwinski

6/9 (lose 3-1): solo HR by Suwinski

They lost 3 of those 5 games even with the HRs and would have lost 4 without Suwinski's W/O HR on 6/4. The HRs accounted for 7 of the grand total of 10 runs in those 5 games. Very few players are contributing to the offense. In fact, those 5 HRs in 5 games were provided by only 2 players (Suwinski, Mitchell) on the roster. And if it hadn't been for Suwinski's double and steal of 3B on 6/5, as well as Mitchell's hustle scoring from 1B on Chang's freak bloop double on 6/7, they would have scored even less runs. So basically, only 2 players have provided the offense in the past 5 games.

The Pirates (always the smartest ones in the room ::)) say they downplay batting averages. But BAs indicate the frequency of hitting safely and the Pirates are woefully inept in hitting frequently. Only Hayes (.289) and Chavis (.270) have respectable BAs. The next highest of those currently on the roster is Marcano at .242 and Suwinski at .235. everyone else is even worse than that. When you have a roster full of guys who infrequently hit safely, there are few chances that several of them will get hits in the same inning to get runners around the bases to score. HRs are great but can't be the primary way of scoring, especially when only a few players are providing them. Suwinski and Mitchell can't hit HRs every day.

You can't score if you don't hit and the Pirates lack hitters. In all of MLB only Detroit has scored fewer runs than the Pirates. And they just swept the Bucs
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

Suwinski's HR puts him in a tie with Major League Rookies in that category- Just have to get guys on base ahead of him
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Sweet SuWINski- Polish Sausage.  Packs the punch!

Tied for the team lead with BR.

A few game stretch is one thing.  That's baseball.

But, two MONTHS?  That's another matter.  We've had a good number of games going 0, 1, or 2.

Both of you are right.  Need MOB....OBP has got to be in scope.

Find me more Bakers' Men!