Jung Ho Kang

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Jung Ho Kang

Post by Bobster21 »

545F575B5E5F440107704951585F5F1E535F300 wrote: Did this help Jose Osuna last year? 

(He has 275 PA in Triple A and has 215 PA in MLB)
I'm sure it was a good experience for him. But he didn't get enough playing time. He wasn't supposed to make the team last year. But he had a good ST and when they opted not to replace Marte with an actual OFer, they brought him up and made him play OF even though he was dreadful out there. And he played very sparingly, which was not good for his development as a hitter. He was 6th on the team in OF appearances and innings. It seemed like the FO was willing to let him rot on the bench while 5 OFers played ahead of him because they needed a body and didn't care if he lost a year of development in AAA. It was almost as if he were a Rule 5 player and will probably spend this year getting the reps in AAA he missed last year. I doubt they think he has a future with the team or they would've handled him differently last year. That's a completely different situation than bringing up someone, say Meadows, as the 4th OFer and first guy off the bench for any OF position.   
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Jung Ho Kang

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I think this hurt Osuna. It didn't make him ready for a position this year. Isn't that the point of bringing up a young player to be a back up (forced or not)? Would Meadows (or Luplow) be used differently? If Hurdle likes those veterans....?
Ecbucs

Jung Ho Kang

Post by Ecbucs »

210C01101706115152630 wrote: Did this help Jose Osuna last year? 

(He has 275 PA in Triple A and has 215 PA in MLB)
I'm sure it was a good experience for him. But he didn't get enough playing time. He wasn't supposed to make the team last year. But he had a good ST and when they opted not to replace Marte with an actual OFer, they brought him up and made him play OF even though he was dreadful out there. And he played very sparingly, which was not good for his development as a hitter. He was 6th on the team in OF appearances and innings. It seemed like the FO was willing to let him rot on the bench while 5 OFers played ahead of him because they needed a body and didn't care if he lost a year of development in AAA. It was almost as if he were a Rule 5 player and will probably spend this year getting the reps in AAA he missed last year. I doubt they think he has a future with the team or they would've handled him differently last year. That's a completely different situation than bringing up someone, say Meadows, as the 4th OFer and first guy off the bench for any OF position.   

has there been anything written recently about Osuna and third? Seems like the team at least thought he had a shot to be a back up corner infielder. It doesn't look like his bat is good enough to just be a first baseman.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Jung Ho Kang

I have heard nothing about Osuna. I doubt the 3B thing is happening with Moran. He is very good defensive first baseman. I think his bat can play in the majors, but Bell is clearly better (and switch hitter).
dmetz

Jung Ho Kang

Post by dmetz »

464D45494C4D561315625B434A4D4D0C414D220 wrote: I have heard nothing about Osuna.  I doubt the 3B thing is happening  with Moran.  He is very good defensive first baseman.  I think his bat can play in the majors, but Bell is clearly better (and switch hitter).

A blocked 1st baseman with a bat that could play?

We should trade him for a C level AAA prospect OF with great defense and speed and a 2017 first round draft pick pitcher. Gotta be a bunch of GMs that would do that trade
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Jung Ho Kang

Osuna taking groundballs at third base today. Not sure if that means anything.
Bobster21

Jung Ho Kang

Post by Bobster21 »

272C24282D2C377274033A222B2C2C6D202C430 wrote: Osuna taking groundballs at third base today.  Not sure if that means anything.
I'm glad of that. If he has any future with the team, it's as a utility 1B, 3b and maybe some OF. His arm is great but he was otherwise putrid in the OF and he's not going to stick as a guy who only plays Bell's position. I suspect he will go to Indy and play quite a bit of 3B there. I'd rather have him as a 1B/3B bench option than Freese.
SammyKhalifa

Jung Ho Kang

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Yeah, Freese was a nice pickup at the time but ATM he isn't much help.
Bobster21

Jung Ho Kang

Post by Bobster21 »

43717D7D695B78717C797671100 wrote: Yeah, Freese was a nice pickup at the time but ATM he isn't much help.
Yes, I like Freese. He's been a nice asset, especially with the unexpected loss of Kang. But now he's 35 and they have Moran for 3B and Rodriquez, who can do as much or more as a reserve. Freese now seems superfluous and if they were going to keep an extra RH hitting, 1B/3B guy, I'd rather it be Osuna. Maybe Osuna starts the year at 3B at Indy and they deal Freese at some point and call him up.
SammyKhalifa

Jung Ho Kang

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Yeah we have several guys that can cover third, while that's the only thing Freese really does.