The calliopes can be heard from here to Sewickley

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

7C676A6B626E610F0 wrote: Well good thing we have Ben in to clean up Neil's mess and hire a real manager.  Oops!  Maybe not. 

______

While we are at it, can anyone out there in cyberspace name one thing that Cherington has done right.
Pissed you off.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

1D303D2C2B3A2D6D6E5F0 wrote: A rundown....with no one covering first base.  By the time someone thought that it was a good idea to head over there, Garo Yapremian threw the ball in that general direction, anyway.@@@

I'm rubbing this in for a reason- discipline.  Good teams show discipline.  They know what to do.  They do it.  Good teams mess up, but they mess up less often or make less costly mistakes.

The best coaches and managers instill a sense of discipline.  They ease up once in a while, but only after that disciplined play takes hold.

On this board, I've read criticism about lack of disciplined play by guys like Polanco who make more dumb plays in the field and bad base running.

So, how are the Pirates instilling better "use your head" play?  By nothing.  Shelton's laughing and sending Craig back out there.

This "nice guy" idea might be sending the wrong message.  I think that it's easier to ease up AFTER Shelton and Cherington see better thinking.  Reward guys AFTER you get what you want.

Being tough early sends the message that there's a price to pay when we don't use our head.  Laughing and "forgetting about" stuff like this is what losers do.  If I was Shelton, I'd be a little pissed off for a while.

Nice guys?  We know how their teams finish.

Guys need to use their heads.

On the 79 Bucs, I might laugh.  On the 21 Pirates, I'm not laughing.  I'd do something until I got my message across.

Totally agree. IMHO, Shelton is a horrible manager. Not just because of his lineups, games where he rests everyone who's been hitting, senselessly having runners at 3B go on contact against a drawn in infield, or having his own infield drawn in early in the game when a hit past them means extra runs. But also for presiding over a team with very flawed fundamentals. When we keep calling out players for their individuals gaffes, the one thing they have in common is that they are all managed by the same man. Sadly, this has been an ongoing issue for the Pirates through a number of managerial changes. Obviously, Shelton is not going to be the one to change that trend.

A smile and a pat on the back is not going to do the trick. The PG reports that Shelton felt bad for Craig that night and had him in the lineup for yesterday's game that was ultimately rained out. I'm surprised he didn't take Craig out for ice cream. At some point you have to impress upon players that they are accountable for foolish mistakes and that there are consequences.

Good teams can overcome stupid mistakes. Teams that lack talent can't afford to give away runs by playing the game foolishly. I'm tired of hearing "the Pirates don't quit" or "they keep battling." Great. Kudos for not giving up in the middle of games. I'd rather hear that they may not have the talent of other teams but they play the game smartly and don't best themselves. But in the same game as the Craig gaffe, Frazier stupidly ran them out of an inning. And how many games do we see Polanco run to the wall on a ball over hit head and then chase if back thru the grass as it bounces off the wall and back toward the infield? How many times do we see an unforced runner at 2B thrown out trying for 3B on a grounder to SS? Or pitchers walking batters with 4 bad pitches after getting ahead 0-2? Or a runner tagging up when he shouldn't or not tagging up when he should? Shelton oversees a culture of losing because they don't even use their limited resources to the best of their ability. The one thing I consistently read about Shelton is that he is well liked. I'd rather he trade some of that popularity for better managerial skills.

I can't prove this. I can go only by what I've heard industry insiders have said. I listen to a lot of MLBNR all year long, not just during the baseball seasons. The hosts on there have said that the growing trend is for most managers- especially the lesser-experienced ones- that the list of guys to rest is either given to them or highly encouraged. The more experienced managers tend to have more free reign. So, on that, I'll give Shelton the pass and put it on Cherington.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

142136363D0436363D3A36530 wrote: A rundown....with no one covering first base.  By the time someone thought that it was a good idea to head over there, Garo Yapremian threw the ball in that general direction, anyway.@@@

I'm rubbing this in for a reason- discipline.  Good teams show discipline.  They know what to do.  They do it.  Good teams mess up, but they mess up less often or make less costly mistakes.

The best coaches and managers instill a sense of discipline.  They ease up once in a while, but only after that disciplined play takes hold.

On this board, I've read criticism about lack of disciplined play by guys like Polanco who make more dumb plays in the field and bad base running.

So, how are the Pirates instilling better "use your head" play?  By nothing.  Shelton's laughing and sending Craig back out there.

This "nice guy" idea might be sending the wrong message.  I think that it's easier to ease up AFTER Shelton and Cherington see better thinking.  Reward guys AFTER you get what you want.

Being tough early sends the message that there's a price to pay when we don't use our head.  Laughing and "forgetting about" stuff like this is what losers do.  If I was Shelton, I'd be a little pissed off for a while.

Nice guys?  We know how their teams finish.

Guys need to use their heads.

On the 79 Bucs, I might laugh.  On the 21 Pirates, I'm not laughing.  I'd do something until I got my message across.

Totally agree. IMHO, Shelton is a horrible manager. Not just because of his lineups, games where he rests everyone who's been hitting, senselessly having runners at 3B go on contact against a drawn in infield, or having his own infield drawn in early in the game when a hit past them means extra runs. But also for presiding over a team with very flawed fundamentals. When we keep calling out players for their individuals gaffes, the one thing they have in common is that they are all managed by the same man. Sadly, this has been an ongoing issue for the Pirates through a number of managerial changes. Obviously, Shelton is not going to be the one to change that trend.

A smile and a pat on the back is not going to do the trick. The PG reports that Shelton felt bad for Craig that night and had him in the lineup for yesterday's game that was ultimately rained out. I'm surprised he didn't take Craig out for ice cream. At some point you have to impress upon players that they are accountable for foolish mistakes and that there are consequences.

Good teams can overcome stupid mistakes. Teams that lack talent can't afford to give away runs by playing the game foolishly. I'm tired of hearing "the Pirates don't quit" or "they keep battling." Great. Kudos for not giving up in the middle of games. I'd rather hear that they may not have the talent of other teams but they play the game smartly and don't best themselves. But in the same game as the Craig gaffe, Frazier stupidly ran them out of an inning. And how many games do we see Polanco run to the wall on a ball over hit head and then chase if back thru the grass as it bounces off the wall and back toward the infield? How many times do we see an unforced runner at 2B thrown out trying for 3B on a grounder to SS? Or pitchers walking batters with 4 bad pitches after getting ahead 0-2? Or a runner tagging up when he shouldn't or not tagging up when he should? Shelton oversees a culture of losing because they don't even use their limited resources to the best of their ability. The one thing I consistently read about Shelton is that he is well liked. I'd rather he trade some of that popularity for better managerial skills.

I can't prove this.  I can go only by what I've heard industry insiders have said.  I listen to a lot of MLBNR all year long, not just during the baseball seasons.  The hosts on there have said that the growing trend is for most managers- especially the lesser-experienced ones- that the list of guys to rest is either given to them or highly encouraged.  The more experienced managers tend to have more free reign.  So, on that, I'll give Shelton the pass and put it on Cherington.
I don't doubt that that's the case to some degree. But I think a mgr has to make his case when that's not a good idea. I'm thinking of a game when he sat Frazier, Reynolds and Stallings with Moran and Evans on the IL. The lineup that day was absurd. If he was ordered to do that I hope he protested.
bucs607179

Post by bucs607179 »

3F242928212D224C0 wrote: Here we are again. The laughing stock of the league. Instead of people pointing the finger at ownership and the front office, they're pointing and laughing at the boys put in the position to represent us.

Will Craig has played 15 total MLB games. The guy was a third baseman. He has NO STRATEGY playing First. Why is he in this position? Bob Nutting doesn't value baseball, the Pirates, or the city of Pittsburgh. He doesn't care how the city is represented- he doesn't live in the city or the state. He doesn't care about baseball. He doesn't interact with fans, nor does he sit in the stands. He sits in his ivory tower suite counting his money because he is afraid of his own fanbase.

We have to come to a point where we stop pointing and laughing at players that shouldn't even be playing in the Majors. (Moran and Evans are out, but there has to be a next man up with a strategy at the position.) If a six-year-old is driving a car, you don't point and laugh at the situation. You rip them out of the car, and lecture the adult in the car that handed the kid the keys and said "drive."

When people were getting all over my case about it I pretty much said what you said in the first two paragraphs. Really think I need to take the Pirates license plate holder off my car.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

3A2D3B2B6E686F696F61580 wrote: Here we are again. The laughing stock of the league. Instead of people pointing the finger at ownership and the front office, they're pointing and laughing at the boys put in the position to represent us.

Will Craig has played 15 total MLB games. The guy was a third baseman. He has NO STRATEGY playing First. Why is he in this position? Bob Nutting doesn't value baseball, the Pirates, or the city of Pittsburgh. He doesn't care how the city is represented- he doesn't live in the city or the state. He doesn't care about baseball. He doesn't interact with fans, nor does he sit in the stands. He sits in his ivory tower suite counting his money because he is afraid of his own fanbase.

We have to come to a point where we stop pointing and laughing at players that shouldn't even be playing in the Majors. (Moran and Evans are out, but there has to be a next man up with a strategy at the position.) If a six-year-old is driving a car, you don't point and laugh at the situation. You rip them out of the car, and lecture the adult in the car that handed the kid the keys and said "drive."

When people were getting all over my case about it I pretty much said what you said in the first two paragraphs. Really think I need to take the Pirates license plate holder off my car.

The problem is, what he supposedly wrote is completely incorrect. He never showed his face when I challenged him whether he plagiarized the post because the same thing was on Reddit, or he's just being an incredible troll and being a moron about it.

For the last time, Craig won a freaking gold glove in the minor leagues as a first baseman. You certainly wouldn't want to go up against a Philly fan with what Shedman wrote, and make you look foolish if they know better.
shedman

Post by shedman »

416760757C70677179120 wrote: Here we are again. The laughing stock of the league. Instead of people pointing the finger at ownership and the front office, they're pointing and laughing at the boys put in the position to represent us.

Okay, this is the second time you've posted this on this site. The same exact thing was posted on Reddit.

You're either an incredible plagiarist, without regard to fact checking, or a complete moron stating "facts" you have made up or are completely unawares.

Because you're such a Pirates fan, I thought I'd attach this for your completely ignoramus comment.

Oh, and yes, btw, we all hate Nutting, but good for you to act like you're the only one.

https://www.piratesprospects.com/2019/1 ... wards.html
_______

Dear Mr. Holmes:

Sherlock, you sniffed me out. I posted this from reedit. How many years in prison do you get for doing that?
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

7562746421272026202E170 wrote: Here we are again. The laughing stock of the league. Instead of people pointing the finger at ownership and the front office, they're pointing and laughing at the boys put in the position to represent us.

I probably need to be more clear about my finger pointing: I lay the blame for this embarrassment at the feet of one person, and it's not Craig or any of the boys in black and gold. It's not Ben C. And its not the manager.

This is a result of one Bob Nutting. I only know one thing about plumbing - crap rolls down hill. And while I'm not exactly sure how that applies in this case, this seems like the perfect time to use it.

One question: If Will Craig was playing 1st base on any of the other 29 MLB teams, do you think he would have made the same mistake? I don't believe there is any chance that this player would have so poorly executed on any other team. None. So why did it happen here?

Maybe Ben C needs to do a better job organizationally on fundamentals? Did he send out the Spring memo on The 1st to Home Rundown? I seriously doubt it, but he probably never sent the memo on how to chew gun without getting it in their hair or stuck in their throwing hand. The Pirates don't spend any time on things that never happen, and I doubt any of the other 29 teams do. So why did it happen here?

So it must be on Shelty - before the game he must have forgotten to remind the team how to execute the 1st to home rundown. Further, he's clearly encouraging such national embarrassment on the next player by not chewing Craig's rear-end out and humiliating him in the media. My guess is there is not one coach at any level of professional baseball that has ever mentioned this "play". It's probably the only time its ever been "executed" in the history of the game. And the last thing the manager needs to do is to further embarrass Craig or the rest of the team by treating them like this play happened due to lack of interest. So why did it happen?

Because this embarrassment is simply one more embarrassment by a sh!!!ty organization that embarrasses itself regularly. Every time the Rays take the field, the Pirates are humiliated. When the jerk in the Mets uni makes a joke of having to watch the Pirates play, it's another humilation. When SI writes about the Pirates draft at 1-1 and they make note that with this ownership anything could happen with the selection, the Pirates are embarrassed.

S!!t rolls down hill, and sitting at the top of hill is one Bob Nutting. He's not held accountable. The origination is not accountable. The fans and players? Oh yeah, they get held accountable. Not in my book - Will Craig simply hasn't had enough time learning to play in a field filled with manure.

:'( :'( :'(
bucs607179

Post by bucs607179 »

2E293F37392E69651C3B313D3530723F33315C0 wrote: Here we are again. The laughing stock of the league. Instead of people pointing the finger at ownership and the front office, they're pointing and laughing at the boys put in the position to represent us.

I probably need to be more clear about my finger pointing: I lay the blame for this embarrassment at the feet of one person, and it's not Craig or any of the boys in black and gold.  It's not Ben C.  And its not the manager.

This is a result of one Bob Nutting.  I only know one thing about plumbing - crap rolls down hill.  And while I'm not exactly sure how that applies in this case, this seems like the perfect time to use it.

One question: If Will Craig was playing 1st base on any of the other 29 MLB teams, do you think he would have made the same mistake?  I don't believe there is any chance that this player would have so poorly executed on any other team.  None.  So why did it happen here?

Maybe Ben C needs to do a better job organizationally on fundamentals?  Did he send out the Spring memo on The 1st to Home Rundown?  I seriously doubt it, but he probably never sent the memo on how to chew gun without getting it in their hair or stuck in their throwing hand.  The Pirates don't spend any time on things that never happen, and I doubt any of the other 29 teams do.  So why did it happen here?

So it must be on Shelty - before the game he must have forgotten to remind the team how to execute the 1st to home rundown.  Further, he's clearly encouraging such national embarrassment on the next player by not chewing Craig's rear-end out and humiliating him in the media.  My guess is there is not one coach at any level of professional baseball that has ever mentioned this "play".  It's probably the only time its ever been "executed" in the history of the game.  And the last thing the manager needs to do is to further embarrass Craig or the rest of the team by treating them like this play happened due to lack of interest.  So why did it happen?

Because this embarrassment is simply one more embarrassment by a sh!!!ty organization that embarrasses itself regularly.  Every time the Rays take the field, the Pirates are humiliated.  When the jerk in the Mets uni makes a joke of having to watch the Pirates play, it's another humilation.  When  SI writes about the Pirates draft at 1-1 and they make note that with this ownership anything could happen with the selection, the Pirates are embarrassed. 

S!!t rolls down hill, and sitting at the top of hill is one Bob Nutting.  He's not held accountable.  The origination is not accountable.  The fans and players?  Oh yeah, they get held accountable.  Not in my book - Will Craig simply hasn't had enough time learning to play in a field filled with manure. 

Very well said and I agree. I have trouble understanding why someone (Mr. Nutting) would buy something very expensive and not want to take some pride in it. I know nothing of the money side of things in MLB but I assume he is making a nice profit off this embarrassment.

I'd love to have heard his private thoughts on the "play".
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

6077617134323533353B020 wrote: Here we are again. The laughing stock of the league. Instead of people pointing the finger at ownership and the front office, they're pointing and laughing at the boys put in the position to represent us.

I probably need to be more clear about my finger pointing: I lay the blame for this embarrassment at the feet of one person, and it's not Craig or any of the boys in black and gold.  It's not Ben C.  And its not the manager.

This is a result of one Bob Nutting.  I only know one thing about plumbing - crap rolls down hill.  And while I'm not exactly sure how that applies in this case, this seems like the perfect time to use it.

One question: If Will Craig was playing 1st base on any of the other 29 MLB teams, do you think he would have made the same mistake?  I don't believe there is any chance that this player would have so poorly executed on any other team.  None.  So why did it happen here?

Maybe Ben C needs to do a better job organizationally on fundamentals?  Did he send out the Spring memo on The 1st to Home Rundown?  I seriously doubt it, but he probably never sent the memo on how to chew gun without getting it in their hair or stuck in their throwing hand.  The Pirates don't spend any time on things that never happen, and I doubt any of the other 29 teams do.  So why did it happen here?

So it must be on Shelty - before the game he must have forgotten to remind the team how to execute the 1st to home rundown.  Further, he's clearly encouraging such national embarrassment on the next player by not chewing Craig's rear-end out and humiliating him in the media.  My guess is there is not one coach at any level of professional baseball that has ever mentioned this "play".  It's probably the only time its ever been "executed" in the history of the game.  And the last thing the manager needs to do is to further embarrass Craig or the rest of the team by treating them like this play happened due to lack of interest.  So why did it happen?

Because this embarrassment is simply one more embarrassment by a sh!!!ty organization that embarrasses itself regularly.  Every time the Rays take the field, the Pirates are humiliated.  When the jerk in the Mets uni makes a joke of having to watch the Pirates play, it's another humilation.  When  SI writes about the Pirates draft at 1-1 and they make note that with this ownership anything could happen with the selection, the Pirates are embarrassed. 

S!!t rolls down hill, and sitting at the top of hill is one Bob Nutting.  He's not held accountable.  The origination is not accountable.  The fans and players?  Oh yeah, they get held accountable.  Not in my book - Will Craig simply hasn't had enough time learning to play in a field filled with manure. 

Very well said and I agree. I have trouble understanding why someone (Mr. Nutting) would buy something very expensive and not want to take some pride in it. I know nothing of the money side of things in MLB but I assume he is making a nice profit off this embarrassment.

I'd love to have heard his private thoughts on the "play".

One thing I'm pretty confident of is that someone had to explain the Will Craig play to him. He has no idea what's going on on a baseball field.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

4D565B5A535F503E0 wrote: Here we are again. The laughing stock of the league. Instead of people pointing the finger at ownership and the front office, they're pointing and laughing at the boys put in the position to represent us.

Okay, this is the second time you've posted this on this site. The same exact thing was posted on Reddit.

You're either an incredible plagiarist, without regard to fact checking, or a complete moron stating "facts" you have made up or are completely unawares.

Because you're such a Pirates fan, I thought I'd attach this for your completely ignoramus comment.

Oh, and yes, btw, we all hate Nutting, but good for you to act like you're the only one.

https://www.piratesprospects.com/2019/1 ... wards.html
_______

Dear Mr. Holmes:

Sherlock, you sniffed me out.  I posted this from reedit.  How many years in prison do  you get for doing that?
Oh my. Play the victim. How very today of you.