Jose Soriano DFA

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Jose Soriano DFA

Post by fjk090852-7 »

The Bucs designated injured pitcher Jose Soriano, and added Diego Castillo to the 40 man roster today.
Surgnbuck

Jose Soriano DFA

Post by Surgnbuck »

Another year probably sitting out. Time to move on. Hopefully the guy heals up and gets to pitch, seems a lot of teams would have liked him
DemDog

Jose Soriano DFA

Post by DemDog »

0A2C2B3E373B2C3A32590 wrote: Another year probably sitting out. Time to move on. Hopefully the guy heals up and gets to pitch, seems a lot of teams would have liked him

I find no fault with the Bucs taking him last year. They knew about his arm and took a chance on him recovering and becoming part of the team for a few years. I do wish Jose the best as he heals and tries to make something out of his baseball career.
BellevueBuc

Jose Soriano DFA

Post by BellevueBuc »

5A7B735A71791E0 wrote: Another year probably sitting out. Time to move on. Hopefully the guy heals up and gets to pitch, seems a lot of teams would have liked him

I find no fault with the Bucs taking him last year.  They knew about his arm and took a chance on him recovering and becoming part of the team for a few years.  I do wish Jose the best as he heals and tries to make something out of his baseball career.

I see no issue in keeping him if the Angels pass on taking him back. Agree, the Pirates took a good chance, he reinjured his arm, no way they would have known that would happen.
Bobster21

Jose Soriano DFA

Post by Bobster21 »

41666F6F66757666417660030 wrote: Another year probably sitting out. Time to move on. Hopefully the guy heals up and gets to pitch, seems a lot of teams would have liked him
I find no fault with the Bucs taking him last year.  They knew about his arm and took a chance on him recovering and becoming part of the team for a few years.  I do wish Jose the best as he heals and tries to make something out of his baseball career.

I see no issue in keeping him if the Angels pass on taking him back.  Agree, the Pirates took a good chance, he reinjured his arm, no way they would have known that would happen.
The rule 5 return policy is often misunderstood. A player must clear waivers before being offered back to the team from which the player was selected in rule 5. The Pirates DFA'd Soriano which means they have 7 days to trade him or place him irrevocable outright waivers. So a team could make a trade offer if they are interested and that would mean the new team inherits the rule 5 stipulations. If no trade is made he must be placed on outright waivers. If he clears down to the Angels' turn in the waiver order, he can be offered back at half the price that was paid for him in the rule 5 draft. If the Angels don't want him back and all subsequent teams below the Angels in the waiver order also pass, he can be outrighted to the minors and would not be on the 40 man roster. So it's possible the Pirates will retain him in the minors.
BellevueBuc

Jose Soriano DFA

Post by BellevueBuc »

5A777A6B6C7D6A2A29180 wrote: Another year probably sitting out. Time to move on. Hopefully the guy heals up and gets to pitch, seems a lot of teams would have liked him

I see no issue in keeping him if the Angels pass on taking him back.  Agree, the Pirates took a good chance, he reinjured his arm, no way they would have known that would happen.
The rule 5 return policy is often misunderstood. A player must clear waivers before being offered back to the team from which the player was selected in rule 5. The Pirates DFA'd Soriano which means they have 7 days to trade him or place him irrevocable outright waivers. So a team could make a trade offer if they are interested and that would mean the new team inherits the rule 5 stipulations. If no trade is made he must be placed on outright waivers. If he clears down to the Angels' turn in the waiver order, he can be offered back at half the price that was paid for him in the rule 5 draft. If the Angels don't want him back and all subsequent teams below the Angels in the waiver order also pass, he can be outrighted to the minors and would not be on the 40 man roster. So it's possible the Pirates will retain him in the minors. 

If the Angels claim him on waivers they would have to keep him in the majors. The Angels would have the option of taking him back after all teams, including the Angels, pass on a waiver claim. Not a waiver claim, but in 2004, Jose Bautista was traded to the Pirates, but still had Rule 5 attached, so the Pirates could not option him to the minors without putting him on waivers first.

Waivers also seems to be misunderstood like teams take turns and it goes to the next team once they pass. All teams submit claims during the waiver period. Teams with lower waiver priority can certainly claim, and be awarded Soriano's rights.
Bobster21

Jose Soriano DFA

Post by Bobster21 »

6641484841525141665147240 wrote: Another year probably sitting out. Time to move on. Hopefully the guy heals up and gets to pitch, seems a lot of teams would have liked him

If the Angels claim him on waivers they would have to keep him in the majors.  The Angels would have the option of taking him back after all teams, including the Angels, pass on a waiver claim. Not a waiver claim, but in 2004, Jose Bautista was traded to the Pirates, but still had Rule 5 attached, so the Pirates could not option him to the minors without putting him on waivers first.

Waivers also seems to be misunderstood like teams take turns and it goes to the next team once they pass.  All teams submit claims during the waiver period. Teams with lower waiver priority can certainly claim, and be awarded Soriano's rights.

Thanks for clarifying. I didn't know the method by which the waiver claims were made.
BellevueBuc

Jose Soriano DFA

Post by BellevueBuc »

4D606D7C7B6A7D3D3E0F0 wrote: Another year probably sitting out. Time to move on. Hopefully the guy heals up and gets to pitch, seems a lot of teams would have liked him

If the Angels claim him on waivers they would have to keep him in the majors.  The Angels would have the option of taking him back after all teams, including the Angels, pass on a waiver claim. Not a waiver claim, but in 2004, Jose Bautista was traded to the Pirates, but still had Rule 5 attached, so the Pirates could not option him to the minors without putting him on waivers first.

Waivers also seems to be misunderstood like teams take turns and it goes to the next team once they pass.  All teams submit claims during the waiver period. Teams with lower waiver priority can certainly claim, and be awarded Soriano's rights.

Thanks for clarifying. I didn't know the method by which the waiver claims were made.

No problem, i think it is pretty common, people just think it is handled like a draft. Its basically an auction, with your bid being your record.