What Will NH do first this offseason?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

38333B373233286D6B1C253D343333723F335C0 wrote: But the article says they can make a trade.  Why are people ruling that out? 

There are no top pitchers in free agency this year.  They did try to sign Nova.
NH's comment "As we entered each season, from 2013 to 2015, the knock was we didn't have enough starting pitching. I'm anticipating that will be the knock of the 2017 club entering the season" implies that even if they trade for a pitcher, it won't be someone who significantly strengthens the staff. He added that small market teams usually develop their own or trade for young pitchers. Young pitchers like Hutchison are iffy at best. They certainly won't trade for a pitcher with a big contract. So no one is ruling out a trade for a starter. But it isn't likely to be a trade for a significant starter.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Yeah we're basically boned.
BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

While I understand the propensity for lack of confidence in our front office, I am all for seeing how things pan out in the next 6 weeks. If NH pulls another dumpster dive and brings on another trio like last year's starting pitching, his days as GM of our beloved Bucs will be over in my humble opinion...

Beat'em Bucs!

Bucs Fan in GA 8-)
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

735E53424554430300310 wrote: But the article says they can make a trade.  Why are people ruling that out? 

There are no top pitchers in free agency this year.  They did try to sign Nova.
NH's comment "As we entered each season, from 2013 to 2015, the knock was we didn't have enough starting pitching. I'm anticipating that will be the knock of the 2017 club entering the season" implies that even if they trade for a pitcher, it won't be someone who significantly strengthens the staff. He added that small market teams usually develop their own or trade for young pitchers. Young pitchers like Hutchison are iffy at best. They certainly won't trade for a pitcher with a big contract. So no one is ruling out a trade for a starter. But it isn't likely to be a trade for a significant starter.

They also had enough pitching those years from 2013-2015.

I read it as they won't be hitting the free agent market (is there really anyone there?) but would look at some trades.
Quail

Post by Quail »

"Rarely will a small-market, small-revenue team go out and sign a top-of-the market starting pitcher."-NH from the article

Arizona Diamondbacks ($223M)-Zack Greinke (2016)

Toronto Blue Jays ($241M)- J.A. Happ (2016)

Both Arizona and Toronto have lower revenue than the Pirates ($244M). I'm not suggesting that there are any FA starters comparable to Greinke or Happ out there this year, but these two signings happened just last year with "small revenue" teams. Perhaps it's less rare than NH suggests.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

To be fair, Toronto isn't exactly a small market.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

40727E7E6A587B727F7A7572130 wrote: To be fair, Toronto isn't exactly a small market.

Isn't Toronto like top five in population in North America?

And the Diamondbacks had the 4th worst record in all of baseball in 2016.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

454E464A4F4E551016615840494E4E0F424E210 wrote: To be fair, Toronto isn't exactly a small market.

Isn't Toronto like top five in population in North America?

And the Diamondbacks had the 4th worst record in all of baseball in 2016. 

Yeah and that signing was partly responsible for getting everyone on the team fired.
BenM

Post by BenM »

This fall MLBAM, the league's media streaming company, sold a stake to Disney for a billion dollars.

While the teams (who are joint owners) may have put a lot of that back into the company, is it really possible that the owners won't receive a dividend from that transaction? And if there is a dividend, will that be invested into the team or put into ownership's pocket?
Leyland1948

Post by Leyland1948 »

In my opinion the CBA that is being negotiated is going tp play a lot in to what the team does. If a salary floor is agreed to it may force them to spend more money. Who knows if so maybe the present owner will not feel comforable about spending more money and deside to sell to someone else. We can only hope!