Cervelli's Attitude

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Cervelli's Attitude

Post by DemDog »

Cervelli is really ticked off.  With that in mind I think he is going to play 130 or so games, hit maybe .275, club 20 HRs, amass 75 RBI and be a 2.0 WAR player especially if he throws out 33% of the base runners trying to steal.

Almost forgot, he is going to use his veteran leadership skills and great pitch selection to bring along the fine youngsters who make up our starting staff and bullpen.  In fact I think we will see at least 2 guys win 18 games and one of them maybe 20-22.  And Riverio will lead the league in saves.

With that kind of season he can help prove that NH was not lying when he said the 2018 Pirates were going to be competitive.

NOTE:  This post is deliberately sarcastic.  I wanted to make that clear to all posters on OBN!
SammyKhalifa

Cervelli's Attitude

Post by SammyKhalifa »

7F59584F59493A0 wrote: Here's a quote today by Francisco Cervelli from an article in The Athletic:

“If I have to play a different position, I’ll go home,” he said. “I don’t like to play anything else. I like to catch, I need to catch. I cannot be a DH or play first base or whatever."

While I admire his resolve to avoid injury through intense training  (described earlier in the article) I don't much care for his unwillingness to be flexible with regard to occasionally playing other positions in order to preserve his health. This team will have enough trouble trying to compete without the distraction of a selfish me-first attitude from a veteran player permeating the clubhouse.

Relax.  Where else is he going to play for the Pirates?  His only option is behind the plate.  Our catching options are grim so ... they aren't moving him.

I am relaxed, but apparently Cervelli isn't which as others have noted is the problem. If you read my second post with additional context you'll see that Cervelli is reacting to what has been proposed by management regarding maintaining his on the field health. Being "old school" I prefer a player who publicly says he'll do whatever he's asked to do for the good of the team, and addresses his personal concerns privately with management.

See, maybe I'm just giving him the benefit of the doubt; but I'm reading that quote as him admitting that he's not useful in other positions, and if he had to change he might as well not be here.

The Pirates wanted him to say Craig Biggio is my all time favorite catcher.  Sure, I'll play center and second if  you want.

Maybe, but I think he's just recognizing that he's no craig biggio and would stink at those other positions.
SteadyFreddy

Cervelli's Attitude

Post by SteadyFreddy »

I’m gonna give Cervelli one more chance this year to hopefully stay healthy and produce at a high level. If he can’t do that this season I think they really need to find a way to move that contract and go with Diaz as your everyday catcher.
johnfluharty

Cervelli's Attitude

Post by johnfluharty »

His threatening to go home reminds me way too much of old Mr. "Operation Shutdown".
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Cervelli's Attitude

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

54736266637E41756263637E070 wrote: I’m gonna give Cervelli one more chance this year to hopefully stay healthy and produce at a high level. If he can’t do that this season I think they really need to find a way to move that contract and go with Diaz as your everyday catcher.

No, it will be time to find a younger catcher or a proven catcher.
BenM

Cervelli's Attitude

Post by BenM »

2B2E292F272D342920333538410 wrote: His threatening to go home reminds me way too much of old Mr. "Operation Shutdown".   

Nothing will top Operation Shutdown. It gave us the classic Madden quote "Derek Bell becomes the ultimate Pirate: lives on a boat and steals money."

But I am confused about Cervelli's instance at staying a catcher. Because of his concussion history, he's on foul ball away from never being able to catch again. Given that he's still under contract for 2019, it would seem that now would be the time for him to transition from behind the plate.

He doesn't have another contract as a catcher.
Bobster21

Cervelli's Attitude

Post by Bobster21 »

We're probably making too much of this. He loves to catch and he's an emotional guy. I'm sure he also knows that he doesn't hit well enough for 1B, 3B or OF so any move to another position would be as a backup. So the idea of going from a starting catcher to a utility guy on the bench is not appealing. It's not as if he'd rather quit than be an All-Star 1Bman. His PT at any other position would be limited.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Cervelli's Attitude

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

002D20313627307073420 wrote: We're probably making too much of this. He loves to catch and he's an emotional guy. I'm sure he also knows that he doesn't hit well enough for 1B, 3B or OF so any move to another position would be as a backup. So the idea of going from a starting catcher to a utility guy on the bench is not appealing. It's not as if he'd rather quit than be an All-Star 1Bman. His PT at any other position would be limited.

Exactly.