How Far Do You Stretch To Retain Nova

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

The Phillies' (Howard) and Reds' (Votto) worst contracts were for many years and big dollars. The worst years of Votto's contract have not even begun to arrive yet.

I loath the concept of paying a pitcher like Nova in the range of $10 - $15 mil per year, but that is what veteran (free agent) starting pitching is now earning. I believe the real challenge is not to be on the hook for too many years when a deal goes south. For example, Bucs received good production from Liriano for 2 years until he went south this year. And even if they had to keep him or eat some of his contract to deal him, it was only 1.5 years of salary.
Osushawn

Post by Osushawn »

5C70787F7453647262110 wrote: The Phillies' (Howard) and Reds' (Votto) worst contracts were for many years and big dollars.  The worst years of Votto's contract have not even begun to arrive yet.

I loath the concept of paying a pitcher like Nova in the range of $10 - $15 mil per year, but that is what veteran (free agent) starting pitching is now earning.  I believe the real challenge is not to be on the hook for too many years when a deal goes south.   For example, Bucs received good production from Liriano for 2 years until he went south this year.  And even if they had to keep him or eat some of his contract to deal him, it was only 1.5 years of salary.    

They can always re-sign the veteran Jeff Locke for a cool 3.5 million:-)
GnatsEyelash

Post by GnatsEyelash »

I'd talk to Searage, ask him if he's accepted coaching and adjusted well and can continue to pitch, or if he's gotten a little lucky. He does have the ability to get crushed on occasion.

I'd go to Nova's agent and see if he would be interested in a three year deal for what his perceived value is. Some guys want to get the big payday. Others may not be as committed to the big payday. If he likes Pittsburgh, maybe he signs for a little less.

Wouldn't hurt to do the diligence and have a conversation...

I'd pay fair value, but not limit what else could be done this off season.
thessy

Post by thessy »

003D3A203D3A540 wrote:

When Nova was traded here this board bashed it.  When the return was announced, this board bashed it.  Now we want to give him 40 million over 3 years?  He's had 5 good starts for us.  Are those worth 8 million a piece.

I was against signing Happ as he had 10 good starts for us after five mediocre seasons and to me that wasn't worth 36 million dollars. 

Same with Nova.  He's a whole lot more likely to go Liriano next season than go Happ.

You wouldn't be paying Nova 8 million for each of his five wins this season, you would be paying him for the 15+ wins you hope he gets you next season. The last couple months of this season is an awfully small sample size, absolutely, but successful proven commodities command far more money than the Pirates are willing to spend. IMO they are either going to take a gamble on someone like Nova, they're going to going to sign a mediocre proven commodity who fits into that same financial range a la a Jon Niese-type, or they're going to re-sign Locke and/or Vogelsong and perhaps a similar cheap back of the rotation vet.

Nova is more likely to go Liriano than Happ, true - just as almost every other pitcher in baseball is. Lots of pitchers fail. Few are in contention for the Cy Young.
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

150904121218610 wrote:

When Nova was traded here this board bashed it.  When the return was announced, this board bashed it.  Now we want to give him 40 million over 3 years?  He's had 5 good starts for us.  Are those worth 8 million a piece.

I was against signing Happ as he had 10 good starts for us after five mediocre seasons and to me that wasn't worth 36 million dollars. 

Same with Nova.  He's a whole lot more likely to go Liriano next season than go Happ.

You wouldn't be paying Nova 8 million for each of his five wins this season, you would be paying him for the 15+ wins you hope he gets you next season.  The last couple months of this season is an awfully small sample size, absolutely, but successful proven commodities command far more money than the Pirates are willing to spend.  IMO they are either going to take a gamble on someone like Nova, they're going to going to sign a mediocre proven commodity who fits into that same financial range a la a Jon Niese-type, or they're going to re-sign Locke and/or Vogelsong and perhaps a similar cheap back of the rotation vet.

Nova is more likely to go Liriano than Happ, true - just as almost every other pitcher in baseball is. Lots of pitchers fail.  Few are in contention for the Cy Young.

I think Niese's contract was a club option at $11 or $12 million for next year followed by another club option that was +$1 million on that 11 or 12. We are pretty much talking the same range of money for Nova, the question is how many years is it going to take? Mediocre is expensive...