Game Thread - 8/20 - Bucs vs Red

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

271205050E3705050E0905600 wrote: Gets me to wondering.  Is it even possible to start to think?

I guess I'll know if I ever get around to thinking.  ;))

If you're starting to think something, you've probably thought it.  "I think that Cherington MIGHT BE just as stupid as Shelton." 

I'm no IQ tester, but if I was to guess, I would conclude that the answer would spit out as "Different Shades."

Carry on.

I thought I would give this thinking thing a try. I've heard so much about it.

SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

6D404D5C5B4A5D1D1E2F0 wrote: Another costly throwing error by Cruz. It interrupted Block and Walk's conversation about Walk's duties as a gas station attendant. I'm so sick and tired of the casual conversations Block has to have throughout every game. 
Cruz- not fielding - belongs in the outfield.

not hitting  - .197

Newman is a better SS. Peguero at Altoona is a better SS. Cruz is not the SS of the future. Let him learn a new position and put Newman at SS until Peguero is ready. But I guess that makes too much sense. I can be patient with young payers trying to become better major leaguers. But I have no patience for stupid organizational decisions. I was giving BC the benefit of the doubt. But since he has said the imbecile manager he hired will return next year, I'm starting to think BC us just as stupid as the fool he hired. Put Cruz at 1B.
Bobster, I have long agreed that Cruz has no business at SS. But putting him at 1B would waste his arm. I'd love to see him play a "deep SS' - Left Field. He may be fast but he's NOT quick. Newman is clearly the best SS on the team, and Peguero is the future.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

654F447443555559360 wrote: Another costly throwing error by Cruz. It interrupted Block and Walk's conversation about Walk's duties as a gas station attendant. I'm so sick and tired of the casual conversations Block has to have throughout every game. 
Cruz- not fielding - belongs in the outfield.

not hitting  - .197

Newman is a better SS. Peguero at Altoona is a better SS. Cruz is not the SS of the future. Let him learn a new position and put Newman at SS until Peguero is ready. But I guess that makes too much sense. I can be patient with young payers trying to become better major leaguers. But I have no patience for stupid organizational decisions. I was giving BC the benefit of the doubt. But since he has said the imbecile manager he hired will return next year, I'm starting to think BC us just as stupid as the fool he hired. Put Cruz at 1B.
Bobster, I have long agreed that Cruz has no business at SS. But putting him at 1B would waste his arm. I'd love to see him play a "deep SS' - Left Field. He may be fast but he's NOT quick. Newman is clearly the best SS on the team, and Peguero is the future.

I known what you mean about his arm. OTOH, his size at 1B might save more runs than his arm in LF. And there were a lot of times Josh Bell's inability to throw from 1B caused problems. Cruz wouldn't haven that problem.
ChillinStation

Post by ChillinStation »

I have always had my doubts about Cruz. Never put together a full season of great hitting in minors. I hope he is not another overhyped Pirate prospect. I guess a full season will get him 20+ hr but he at least needs to hit .240 and take a few walks.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

Some comments:

1) Beede is not making a good case for being a starter, and may even be working his way out of a relief role.

2) I guess I was expecting too much in hoping the team could win 3 in a row.

3) With Thompson being the starter today, why did they pitch him in the 8th the other day.

4) Cruz is quickly transitioning from being a top prospect to a problem. Most importantly, he is not hitting. He flails at too many pitches and looks and often acts lost at the plate. I can't remember the last time he hit a ball hard. Continuing, Cruz appears adamant about being a shortstop and not wanting to change positions. If this is how he hits when he plays his position of choice, what happens if they move him? Cruz's future may be the most important decision that BC makes this off-season.

5) Is this the real Newman or are the last 2 seasons more indicative of his talent? I like Newman and what he is doing now, but I'm concerned he could become a pumpkin at any time.

6) I know that this is a none issue, but I don't like the way Greg Allen catches a fly ball.

7) I have now read the story in which BC speaks of his love for 'Shelty' and commits to him being the manager next year. While these comments seem delusional to me, I was even more troubled by his statement that he considers him the equivalent of an assistant general manager. Please sir, may I have another dose of VanMeter and Prado.

8) Pride game today. The winner will not be in last place in the NL Central.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Biggest concern to me is

9) Cherington not at all concerned with his job security.

That, to me, causes many other the others. 

We're terrible.  That's OK is the message there.