Game Thread - 9/14 - Bucs @ Reds - 12:35 start

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

One more comment

I’ll say it again, I think Castro can turn into another Starling Marte!
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

I agree that you can make the case that things are looking a bit brighter for the Pirates in terms of young talent ... but it won't mean a thing unless ownership/management commit to opening the wallet and building an actual major league starting rotation.
ChillinStation

Post by ChillinStation »

Need a real bat at 1B, a guy that plays 150 games. Not sure who is available in FA but the Pirates need to open the wallet. Or make a trade. Josh Bell anyone ?  ;)

Since we have Castro now and Termarr on the way a guy like Nick Gonzales (who is always hurt) could be a nice trade piece. Ben needs to move some guys to get us a some real MLB players. Like the Cards going after Gold / Arenado.

WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

597B68757673747B586F7979751A0 wrote: I agree that you can make the case that things are looking a bit brighter for the Pirates in terms of young talent ... but it won't mean a thing unless ownership/management commit to opening the wallet and building an actual major league starting rotation.
Bob Walk was talking today about next years rotation. He was somewhat optimistic saying we only have received a small sample

but Contreras, Oviedo, Ortiz if they pan out along with Keller and

Brubaker, things could get interesting
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

4945441F161F171A1D02182F0 wrote: I'd be willing to commit to the following as starters in 2023:

2B Castro

SS Cruz

3B Hayes

CF Reynolds

RF Suwinski

Then BC needs to figure out/upgrade C, 1B and LF

Sign 2 legitimate MLB proven starting pitchers and we might finally have something here ...
That appears to be a good starting five players. I too would consider Mitchell as a possible RF. They need a platoon partner with Chavis at first base. In my opinion things are looking a lot brighter for the Pirates.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

Newman has the highest batting average among the regulars. Do we keep him?
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

013F3A32213939321237203364560 wrote: Newman has the highest batting  average among the regulars. Do we keep him?
He's also their best defensive SS and is under control for 2 more years. So the obvious answer is "yes, keep him." He could solidify SS while 6'-7" error prone Cruz plays 1B and Castro plays 2B with Chavis as a super utility player. And when it's time to deal Newman before free agency, Peguero should be ready to take over SS.

But none of that will happen. Newman will be traded, Cruz will continue to be an erratic SS and the Pirates will not know what to do with Peguero.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

795459484F5E49090A3B0 wrote: Newman has the highest batting  average among the regulars. Do we keep him?
He's also their best defensive SS and is under control for 2 more years. So the obvious answer is "yes, keep him." He could solidify SS while 6'-7" error prone Cruz plays 1B and Castro plays 2B with Chavis as a super utility player. And when it's time to deal Newman before free agency, Peguero should be ready to take over SS.

But none of that will happen. Newman will be traded, Cruz will continue to be an erratic SS and the Pirates will not know what to do with Peguero. 

It’s fairly clear to me that Cruz would be an adventure at SS, unsteady possibly throughout his career. But I think he’d be at least above average, if not outstanding, at 1B. The sooner he’s moved, either to 1B or RF, the better for him and the team.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

795459484F5E49090A3B0 wrote: Newman has the highest batting  average among the regulars. Do we keep him?
He's also their best defensive SS and is under control for 2 more years.  
The only thing correct in this statement is the years of control. He has a significant lower fielding percentage than Cruz. Newman has 5 errors in 28 games started at SS and a fielding percentage of .947, Cruz has 10 in 63 games started as a SS and a fielding percentage of .967.

Newman had one exceptional season as a SS, last year when he only made 3 errors at SS in 132 games. That was not the real Newman. He was .956 in 2018, .973 in 2019, and .930 in 2020. Newman can't hit a lick compared to Cruz. But you want Newman playing SS?

Newman's best position is 2B. Good luck with that with Castro and Castillo on board.

Newman should be jettisoned if he can't be traded. He has no future with the Pirates.
maher.timothy20@gm

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

0C2726232326211C3B2E3B2620214F0 wrote: Need a real bat at 1B, a guy that plays 150 games. Not sure who is available in FA but the Pirates need to open the wallet. Or make a trade. Josh Bell anyone ?  ;)

Since we have Castro now and Termarr on the way a guy like Nick Gonzales (who is always hurt) could be a nice trade piece. Ben needs to move some guys to get us a some real MLB players. Like the Cards going after Gold / Arenado.

I'd love to see Josh Bell back but it's worth noting he's cooled off considerably since the midseason trade. He's hitting .200 with 3 home runs for the Padres.

Earlier this season I thought maybe he'd finally figured it out and was about to become a superstar. Now it looks like he is what he's always been--a .275 hitter who'll give you around 22 HR a year.

That's pretty good, but maybe not good enough, considering how much you'd have to pay him.